Seen a lot of hate on them. Maybe i'm missing something? I own a B.C. Rich and have messed around with others. Aside from the shitty bronze warlocks i think they are pretty decent guitars. Well done fret work, solid electronics (the stock B.S.D.M. pickups sound pretty good) and good tuners, rarely ever goes out of tune.
The higher end guitars are pretty good. Not my kind of thing but the ones I have played felt quite nice.

The lower end stuff is quite often shite.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Consensus is that BC Richs arent bad outside of their cheap models like Bronze series. I dont see more hate than that except propably for their radical shapes but that is a matter of taste. Outside of the hideously over the top Draco I think they look mostly alright.

*edit* Well, Draco AND Bich. Latter looks like superstrat chewed by a jeti.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 5, 2013,
Generally the bronze series is what pops up and they are pretty much as bad as can be.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Because the cheap ones are notorious for being utterly horrible for reasons that OP believes they're good. Horrible fretwork, dreadful pickups and hardware, never stays in tune, bodies made out of agathis or plywood, there's pretty much nothing remotely good about them.

The higher-end ones are supposedly decent, but i'll never be seen dead holding one.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Consensus is that BC Richs arent bad outside of their cheap models like Bronze series. I dont see more hate than that except propably for their radical shapes but that is a matter of taste. Outside of the hideously over the top Draco I think they look mostly alright.

yeah i never could understand the draco shape.
I would love a high end mockingbird. They are classy looking guitars when they don't have a Floyd.
I'd never, ever buy one.

I'll happily play one in a shop, or at a friends but I hate the designs and wouldn't be seen dead with one on stage.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Apr 5, 2013,
Yeah i think its the design. my bass player owns a warlock and ive always hated looking at it. and if your going for a less expensive model i would recomend guitars by ESP or Epiphone
I personally love the high end stuff

Special X 'shadowburst' that i cant part with

Quote by MaaZeus

I kinda like the draco shape.
But I wouldn't buy it just for the shape, so...
Not sure what the second one you mentioned is.

Anyways, I only own one. It's an Avenge. It was a graduation gift. I gotta say, I love the shape, color scheme, and fretting, but everything else... eeehhh.
I would constantly have to adjust the bridge because of buzzing or something of the sort. It only has one pickup. The sound is okay, but really, I've got others that can beat that sound no problem. And since there's only one knob for volume, there's not much you can do about it.

I can see why the cheaper ones get a not so positive reputation. But I would love to try me a Mockingbird.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 5, 2013,
Quote by mark.bark
I personally love the high end stuff

Special X 'shadowburst' that i cant part with

That is one damn sexy looking guitar. Color me envious.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I kinda like the draco shape.
But I wouldn't buy it just for the shape, so...
Not sure what the second one you mentioned is.

http://bcrich.com/models/guitars-and-bass/Bich/2012-Bich-ST/206

Seriously, it does look like superstrat where some thing has munched a piece out of.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
http://bcrich.com/models/guitars-and-bass/Bich/2012-Bich-ST/206

Seriously, it does look like superstrat where some thing has munched a piece out of.

Well, that was kinda the idea with the original Bich. The bigger bite behind the bridge was where the additional 4 tuners were.

Not to say that it doesn't look mismatched.
People say B.C. Rich are shit because of the bronze series, but that's like judging Fender off of a squire bullet or Gibson off of a cheap Epiphone LP jr.
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by Keskimaki
Well, that was kinda the idea with the original Bich. The bigger bite behind the bridge was where the additional 4 tuners were.

Not to say that it doesn't look mismatched.

Oh, so it was originally a 10 stringer. Didnt know that. Now the shape makes more sense. But yeah, it still looks bizarre.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
My only experience with them is the Bronze Series Warlocks and they're pretty terrible... had to try and sell my brother's one recently and couldn't get rid of it for a very reasonable reserve price (well below the price of one new). I set it up as nicely as I could after cleaning it up and restringing, and after half a day's work the tuning still wasn't stable enough that you could play a whole set without re-tuning (if anybody even wanted to play it that long into a set without smashing it or burning it).

I imagine the Platinum Series are actually alright, but if their cheap guitars are that bad I'd rather stick to companies who make good guitars for all price ranges (e.g. LAG, who have guitars the same price as the Bronze Series BC Rich's that are far superior in every way, let alone my LAG Master Series Arkane which blows even the best guitars I've played out of the water).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
BC Rich's are like the tribal tattoos of the guitar world, most of the time the only people that really like them are the ones that have them. Not all of them but a good portion are just very corny looking, I really don't like it when the guitar is shaped to somehow be "evil" or "extreme" looking but then again I've always liked understated body designs with natural finishes on the top wood so I think it's just an aesthetics type of thing. I wont comment on whether the guitar sounds good or not because the only times I've played them were at guitar center and I don't think that hell-hole is the best place to get an impression of what a guitar can really do.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by LightxGrenade
BC Rich's are like the tribal tattoos of the guitar world, most of the time the only people that really like them are the ones that have them. Not all of them but a good portion are just very corny looking, I really don't like it when the guitar is shaped to somehow be "evil" or "extreme" looking but then again I've always liked understated body designs with natural finishes on the top wood so I think it's just an aesthetics type of thing. I wont comment on whether the guitar sounds good or not because the only times I've played them were at guitar center and I don't think that hell-hole is the best place to get an impression of what a guitar can really do.

I didn't get the guitar i have for the aesthetics, i actually chose it because i liked the way the neck felt. The shape comes in handy, i like how i can hold it in a somewhat classical position sitting down, and the bevel on the bottom left of the body a acts like a shelf which is great place to lock my arm in for fast alternate picking, less mistakes because my arm doesn't move.

It just played good when i messed around with it, and i preferred it to other guitars i tried, so i got it.
Out here, traders, teachers and players alike have a (rather incorrect) theory - that BC Rich is good only for (extreme) metal. The BC Rich models that sell here, however, are mostly the sub-$400 bottom-end variety, which isn't very good. We've never got a chance to experience a custom-shop BC Rich (few have, it seems) and even the higher-end BC Rich imports are hard to trace here.
They are not any different from any other guitars made. The low end ones are of a lesser quality and are less consistant. I have played bronzes and platinums and under $400 models that have both sucked and some have been very very good. I bought a bronze Mockingbird just to get the SKB case it came with, paid 120 for it. Sold the guitar for $120, so the case was free. Anyway it was the best built bronze series I have ever seen. Nice neck wood, superb rosewood, very nice frets. With some good hardware it would have been an excellent guitar.
I am thinking I should have kept that one.
On the flip side I have seen lower end ones with badly done neck routes in the body to the point where it was impossible to get the action right without taking wood off the the necks heel. This is where they get the bad rap from. But I have seen that on Epis and $1000 Gibsons, but for some reason this is ok for these brands. I bought a epi SG400 that the neck was set too low in, even with the bridge set all the way down as low as it would go the action was almost 3/8 to 1/2 inch at 21st fret. How do you fix that?! An average guitar player can't

All my high er end BC Riches are excellent guitars, my 89 USA neck thru Bich almost plays by its self. Its really that good.

I think all the bad BC RICH rap is all just bs. all guitar makers turn out crap guitars. Maybe we all do it so it drops the resale value so the smart people can pick them up cheap.

I have played $2000 Gibsons that were utter crap and sounded dead, but yet when I bring that up here people get all pissy. So why beat down a $200 guitar and relate that to the same guitar in the $600-1000 version???? it makes no sense to me but people do it.
What the hell!!!
My two knocks against BC Rich are:

1) the low end ones. This is to be expected, though, because almost all low-end guitars are terrible. I expect their mid to high end guitars are built to comperable quality as others I the market.

2) the aesthetics. I rarely see one that I like to look at. It's not that I hate pointy guitars- I don't; I'll never own one because I find them uncomfortable, but I think the shapes are cool- but BC Rich's take on pointy guitar aesthetics just leaves me cold.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I think these look pretty awesome

Last edited by W4RP1G at Apr 6, 2013,
I personally think their over the top but that's just me. I do kind of like the warlock though. It was actually surprisingly comfortable
Quote by antisun
I didn't get the guitar i have for the aesthetics, i actually chose it because i liked the way the neck felt. The shape comes in handy, i like how i can hold it in a somewhat classical position sitting down, and the bevel on the bottom left of the body a acts like a shelf which is great place to lock my arm in for fast alternate picking, less mistakes because my arm doesn't move.

It just played good when i messed around with it, and i preferred it to other guitars i tried, so i got it.

You see that's the thing, As great as the neck feels I'd never buy a guitar I think looks horrible. It's like saying you got a 400hp enging but it's in a ford pinto. There's no shame in thinking "I don't want that guitar because it looks ugly". Why do I have to settle? No offense but I've played plenty of jacksons and Ibanez guitars at the same price range that feel great and don't look so tacky.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Essentially, the korean made models tend to be pretty decent.

I like the Mockingbird

and the Stealth, I'd probably ask for a neck pickup though

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28

and the Stealth, I'd probably ask for a neck pickup though

Well, you dont really need a neck-pickup for music Chuck Stealth is aimed for.
But yeah, it looks awesome. Definetly my next guitar when I have some loose money. May take some time though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'd never buy a signature model anyways, I don't like the idea of a guitar set to someone else's standards. That being said, a neck pickup definitely doesn't hurt. Listening to death from time to time and the attack + distortion makes it unpleasant for me at least when he breaks into solos. Just a bridge pickup is ok when you're happy to chug rhythms, but a neck pick up is a necessity for me, despite the genre I choose to play.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I'd never buy a signature model anyways, I don't like the idea of a guitar set to someone else's standards. That being said, a neck pickup definitely doesn't hurt. Listening to death from time to time and the attack + distortion makes it unpleasant for me at least when he breaks into solos. Just a bridge pickup is ok when you're happy to chug rhythms, but a neck pick up is a necessity for me, despite the genre I choose to play.

Its not exactly a signature guitar. It is a tribute built to same specs as Chucks custom Stealth, just mass produced in Korea. IIRC portion of each guitar sold also goes to Chucks family.
Anyway the few people that have tried or owned one have said that it is actually very good guitar outside of some neck dive issues, and the fact the jack is in lower fin (!!! ). Its in completely different price range too than those million different Kerry King Bronze serie signatures BC Rich has.

I'm not into signatures either, out of principle, but this is where I see myself making an exception.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 6, 2013,
People just judge them by the looks.

I used to have a Bronze Warlock years ago, and it was an excellent guitar. Too heavy for me and the neck too thick, but construction was flawless and it worked great. My current guitar from another brand costs 5 times as much as I paid for the Warlock and manufacturing quality is pretty abysmal compared to the Warlock. I've also heard good things about the Korean-made mid-range BCRich guitars.

People don't take them seriously based on their perception of the brand, not so much on the guitars themselves. My next guitar is most likely going to be a BC Rich ASM Pro- good specs for the right price and well made.
BC Rich built themselves an image as the metal fans entry level guitar. It's not hard to figure out why people don't like them when a horde of 12 year olds who've been playing for 20 minutes put up a review of their $150 Warlock and give it a 10.
A lot of people only buy or play cheap BC Rich guitars. I personally wouldn't trust any BC Rich with a list price cheaper than $400.
Quote by Battery Chicken
BC Rich built themselves an image as the metal fans entry level guitar. It's not hard to figure out why people don't like them when a horde of 12 year olds who've been playing for 20 minutes put up a review of their $150 Warlock and give it a 10.

To be fair that happens with all cheap starter guitars be it BC Rich, Dean or LTD. And its not limited for "metal" shapes either.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3