kingneptune117
904 IQ
Hey all,

Considering picking up a Gibson SG. I could get one used for a nice price which will have the 498T/490R pickups in it. If I buy new it will have the '57 classics. Which set of pickups will sound better for me in this guitar if I play pop punk (All time low, mayday parade, etc...) and some breaking benjamin/saosin.

Thanks.
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by Delboyuk_01
57 classics are the ones I prefer but I also like the 490's.

Are they high enough output to give me the crunchy, thick distortion that I want?
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by Delboyuk_01
57 classics are the ones I prefer but I also like the 490's.

out of the two, which one will suit my style better?
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
out of the two, which one will suit my style better?

They're both similar pickups. Your amp is going to make a hell of a lot more of a difference either way.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
kingneptune117
904 IQ
I plan on getting a new amp soon as well. If you had to pick one for the genre specified, which one would it be?
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
1,145 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
I plan on getting a new amp soon as well. If you had to pick one for the genre specified, which one would it be?

What is your budget, where do you live, what other gear do you have (pedals), and do you play any other genres?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
kingneptune117
904 IQ
well i live in a place far from any guitar store to try anything out. I've got a rat 2 pedal, and no that is all that I play.
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
1,145 IQ
What's your budget?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
One thing i like about the 490's is how they actually sound really good when coil split.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by Darkflame
The 57 are MUCH better. I personally can't stand the 490/498 pickups, I had them in my SG and had to kick them out. I have 57s in my Les Paul though, and they sing. I've also played some SGs with '57s and they sounded amazing. It's a no brainer to me.

Darkflame, what kind of stuff do you play?
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
57s in an SG scream.

I had them in my Trucks SG. They sounded enormous.

They also sounded better in an LP than the BKPs that I stupidly bought to replace them.

The 57s are brilliant medium-high'ish output buckers. I play everything from pop rock to metal and with a suitable amp they could do everything.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Quote by Darkflame
Look at my profile, you can hear it, I'm mostly into alternative/indie stuff, nothing too hard.

Awesome! I like a lot of the stuff you do. Kill Hannah is awesome. So overall you'd say the '57s have plenty of output?
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,141 IQ
They have more than enough for me
(Shit I meant my signature, not my profile, hahaha oops)

I don't have any clips of them, but the songs you can hear on my Bandcamp have been recorded with my SG, which has Wolfetone pickups that in the end sound kind of similar to it. (there's also a telecaster in the mix, though).
kingneptune117
904 IQ
Awesome dude, I feel like I play stuff that is a little bit heavier then what you are playing (like i said, all time low, mayday parade, yada yada). Would it work well for that sort of thing too?

Thanks
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,607 IQ
i like the 500t's a ton in the bridge. perfect all around bridge humbucker for me. if you want to look heavier, that is what i would do (and play).

i love '57's though for a medium gain pickup, and agree that it will do anything well as long as you have the proper amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,141 IQ
Quote by kingneptune117
Awesome dude, I feel like I play stuff that is a little bit heavier then what you are playing (like i said, all time low, mayday parade, yada yada). Would it work well for that sort of thing too?

Thanks

I don't know to be honest. My main amps aren't the heaviest amps ever, I mostly use an Orange ad30 and a Marshall 6100lm. They both get fizzy quite easily, but the point where I stop getting a crunchy clean and start getting an overdrive depends on the guitar. With the '57s, it happens faster than with, say, my telecaster. I believe they'll do anything, though, they have sounded extremely good with everything I've thrown at them.