RickyThomson
1,129 IQ
Strum an open E chord (or something on the lower notes, as it's easier) then pull back on the neck. You get a sort of whammy sound. It sounds great when used right.... but wondering if this can damage my guitar in the long run?

It's more like a vibrato technique i guess, but instead of bending the strings, bend the neck.

Also if anyone knows the proper name for it (so i can find a few videos etc), that would be great!
Celestus
788 IQ
I've literally seen a guy snap the neck in half doing that, so I'm paranoid about ever trying to do so... I wonder if there is a safe way to do it though.
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary
958 IQ
I've seen guitar players (Slash is the first one that comes to mind) where they push outward on the neck and push inward on the top of the body for the same effect.

As far as I know this works best with set necks and doesn't seem to cause any damage. That being said it seems incredibly risky. Pretty sure in Slashes biography he said he snapped a guitar like that.
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
Aralingh
Intelligent person
301 IQ
I've been doing it for years, bend it very softly without too much of a force, it will be sufficient to create a non-extreme whammy effect.

I am not familiar with the terminology, but if a set neck is a non-detachable one, I wouldn't risk doing it with that one.
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,229 IQ
Randy Rhoads did it on his epi if I remember correctly.
baab
RickyThomson
1,129 IQ
Quote by Aralingh
I've been doing it for years, bend it very softly without too much of a force, it will be sufficient to create a non-extreme whammy effect.

I am not familiar with the terminology, but if a set neck is a non-detachable one, I wouldn't risk doing it with that one.

Yeh, that is basically what i've been doing. I have an Epi les paul though, which is indeed a setneck.

I'm not too worried about snapping the neck, as i'm pretty confident with the limit at which it will potentially snap. More or less concerned about whether the fretboard can be warped by doing this (i think you call it a bowed-neck?)
Aralingh
Intelligent person
301 IQ
Quote by RickyThomson
Yeh, that is basically what i've been doing. I have an Epi les paul though, which is indeed a setneck.

I'm not too worried about snapping the neck, as i'm pretty confident with the limit at which it will potentially snap. More or less concerned about whether the fretboard can be warped by doing this (i think you call it a bowed-neck?)

Set necks, I would say, could definitely be warped, but I never had a set-neck guitar, I just imagine it to be possible.