singingbarely
373 IQ
Not sure if this is the right place to post, I'm a noob on acoustic guitars.

Is there any way to tell what size the strings are? Not sure if the guitar I have came with 12s or 13s.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Mosr guitars are shipped with "acoustic lights" (.012 to .053). Thet're about the best balance between bass response, playability, and preserving the mechanical integrity.

In most cases, the maker's website will tell you which gauge strings are standard on their guitars, and even which brand.

For example, Ibanez ships all of its current acoustics with D'Addario EXP-16's, (coated acoustic lights).

Sometimes jumbo bodies are shipped with medium gauge strings. I think that's to make a "big" impression with the bass output. IMO, unless you really like to bang on a guitar, lights on a dread or jumbo, (.012 to .053) are plenty boomy enough.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 16, 2013,
bulby
66 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky
Mosr guitars are shipped with "acoustic lights" (.012 to .053). Thet're about the best balance between bass response, playability, and preserving the mechanical integrity.

I second that + in the music store that I worked some of the dreadnoughts came with 11s.

I don't think there's much chance your acoustic came from the factory with 13s.
Bikewer
65 IQ
Most all music stores have a dial caliper for just this purpose....
Prescott_Player
65 IQ
These days you can get a decent quality 6" set for as little as $30, from companies such as Fowler... it's an extremely useful tool to have.

I bought a 6" Mitutoyo set (excellent quality) for $90, over 20 years ago... I thought it was rather expensive, but I have consistently used them at least 100 times per year, for all sorts of projects.