mightycornholio
434 IQ
I'm planning to buy the Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, but would it sound great on my 40 watt Stagg 40 GA R? My guitar is a Squier by Fender Stratocaster Standard series. Some people say that Boss DS-1 would only sound good on tube amps and sounds bad on solid state amps. Also, Boss DS-1 would have the tinny/treble-ish sound on a solid state amp. Please help me, I want to know if I could achieve a Nirvana sound with Boss DS-1 on my amp, or would the Boss DS-1 sound bad on my amp. Please help.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I doubt it will sound good at all, honestly. Even through nicer amps, the DS-1 is kind of just getting to an "acceptable" tone, and I honestly think they need to be modded to get to that point.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
l3p4rd
ponx
259 IQ
DS-1's aren't the greatest things ever, however, on a budget they get the job done especially if you want a nirvana sound it'll work out fine.
Get one for now and start saving for a better amp, they're cheap so it's not a huge deal to grab one, it'll sound okay.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Just use your amp's distortion. IMO the tone of a DS-1 is pretty terrible. And I have tried it through some tube amps. Artists that use DS-1 usually have them modded or then they use some older MIJ versions (though I don't know how that differs from the newer pedals).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 18, 2013,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ i think the original mij one was more like a rat (i.e. single op-amp versus dual one), but i haven't tried it.

i reckon the ds1 would be alright. nothing spectacular, but should be usable (especially if you were to run it into a slightly crunchy amp). the amp is the problem here IMO.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

souperman08
2,861 IQ
If Nirvana is the tone you're going for, it'll probably be fine. If good done is what you're going for, look somewhere else.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
rander7917
200 IQ
In my opinion it's a decent pedal. It's pretty good for the money and it's definitely the toughest thing your gonna find for the price. Honestly I would go for it. It's not like your spending a ridiculous amount of money for it. Plus I think it sounds really good combined with the boss overdrive.
mightycornholio
434 IQ
So, it would be good on my amp even if it's a solid state Stagg 40 GA R amp?
flexiblemile
2,094 IQ
bring your amp and guitar to the store and try it out, you'll get your answer.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by mightycornholio
So, it would be good on my amp even if it's a solid state Stagg 40 GA R amp?

Well, your amp kind of sucks my man, not much way to get around that, no pedal will really improve that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
mightycornholio
434 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Just use your amp's distortion. IMO the tone of a DS-1 is pretty terrible. And I have tried it through some tube amps. Artists that use DS-1 usually have them modded or then they use some older MIJ versions (though I don't know how that differs from the newer pedals).

I can't really rely on my amp's distortion because when I'm playing, I have to press the overdrive switch on my amp when switching from clean to overdrive or vice versa. So I really need a pedal for the ease of playing and less hassle.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Does your amp have a footswitch jack?

How much do you have to spend, and where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
mightycornholio
434 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Does your amp have a footswitch jack?

How much do you have to spend, and where are you located?

I don't know what is a footswitch jack, the switch on my amp is just a little circular plastic button for switching from Clean to OD or vice versa. I would spend $40 to $100, maybe $150 if I'm lucky, for a distortion pedal. I'm planning to buy the Boss DS-1 or maybe Boss DS-2, because it's a great choice for Nirvana sound, but the amp maybe the problem. Philippines is my place.