So old dude im friends with knows I play. He asks me over to see what his guitars are worth. He is looking to sell them. He has this old Gibson. What model is it. Any help??

I'm no expert by any means, but the "Gibson" script looks pretty sketchy to me.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Yeah, the logo looks way off. If anything, it looks like a typical 60's Japanese brand model.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Ya, I noticed it right away. It looks hand painted too. I said "this looks handpainted" to the guy. He said "idk, its how I bought it new back in 1965"

What do you suppose a fake is worth?
I don't think it should have a Rickenbacker truss rod cover either.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Next to nothing if you don't know what it is.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
I've seen old school ES-175's with one pickup but that was in the neck position. And what the person said about the rickenbacker truss rod cover is also really suspicious. I'm leaning towards this being a knock-off.
Edit: btw what is up with the strap button being on the inside of the wing? I've never seen anything like that before.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Apr 22, 2013,
The pickup and body shape seem to be from the Gretsch Corvette. The scratchplate and truss rod cover seem to be from a Rickenbacker and the Gibson logo looks like it's been copied by a grade 6 art student.

ID it? It has none. Sorry. Not a real Gibson.

However, if it plays well find out how much he's willing to part with it for. If it's reasonable then consider buying it. If he thinks he's going to get more than about $500 laugh and walk away.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
It looks like a partar to me. Logo is for sure fake though. I would pay a few hundred for it
Quote by Major94
really need some help guys

Yeah, it's an early 1951 SG shape...........

That's not a Gibson. I have no idea what it is.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

This is probably the most 'vintage' Gibson fake i've ever seen.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by Slap-happy
The pickup and body shape seem to be from the Gretsch Corvette. The scratchplate and truss rod cover seem to be from a Rickenbacker and the Gibson logo looks like it's been copied by a grade 6 art student.

Thanks for the info, it looks a lot like the Corvette. I just can find that pick guard anywhere. Im gonna tell him its a fake and see if he'll take $100 for it. Its a gamble on my part too. I gotta put some work into it to bring it back to a non fake.

Thanks
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This is probably the most 'vintage' Gibson fake i've ever seen.

Thats just it. He bought it in 1965. Idk who ripped him off, but someone did.
Okay, someone bought it. It's a fake, it happens.

But to go on thinking it's a Gibson for 50 years? With guitarists everywhere, shops everywhere, people on TV, gigs etc and it looks that different and to not doubt it ever?

That's dumb.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

This is the closest thing I've seen to it- right down to the button on the inside of the horn- but its clearly not one of these, either:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Deff not a Gibson, but it is pretty cool looking
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok, guys

Its obviously a Gretsch Corvette.
What is making me mad is the way they cut the head stock to match a Gibson. Would it be that noticable if I got a Gretsch Decal, removed, repainted the headstock and Gretsch decaled the head stock?

A die hard Gretsch man would know it wasnt an original headstock, but what do ya'll think.
It's not a Gretsch Corvette. It's a copy of one, with Gibson on the headstock. So it's a fake of a fake fake. Or something.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Personally I would offer him a small sum, paint over the gibson logo and just have it for what it is. This is assuming it plays well and has pickups (or rather a pickup) worth having.
yep
Definitely not a Gibson. It appears to be a knock-off of the Epiphone Wilshire design with a phony Gibson logo on the headstock. Gibson never made the Wilshire-style guitar. It would be an interesting addition to your collection as a curiosity piece, but only if you could get it for a very low price.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!