Klonoa87
333 IQ
Looking for a low watt tube amp, 5ish watts or less. I'd prefer just the head. My budget is 300 US dollars. Basically my idea was to get a lower wattage amp for some low gain stuff by cranking it. Mostly going to use it for solo practice and maybe recording. Right now I'm looking at an AC4TVH. Wondering if anyone had used one before or maybe has other suggestions (new or used is fine, closest city to me us Orlando.)
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
what type of tones are you after?

you can play loud, right?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Klonoa87
333 IQ
I play mainly reggae, blues, indie type stuff and yes I can play loud (within reason though, I keep my peavey classic 30 at around 3)
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
ah ok, that's probably fine then.

i haven't tried the vox, it's probably worth a try (and it also has a wattage control which might be handy).

the vht special 6 ultra might also be worth a try, for a more fendery type of thing (and also a wattage control).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

supersac
Tab Contributor
650 IQ
i quite like the ac4 its not an ac30 or ac15 at all but it does have a greta tone in a small package was thinking of buying one but i dunno th efunds justnever got there haha

alternatives

bugera v5
tiny terror
vox night train

just some off the top of my head
some of these are a bit above your price and watt range but ive seen them around your range used
ne14t
1,045 IQ
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 could be right up your alley, new they are a bit more then your $300 budget coming in at $399 but you can certainly find them used for cheaper. I have this amp myself have had it since it was released its a beast of an amp for how tiny it is. Gets amazing cleans and nasty crunch, plus has awesome redbox out features which allow you to plug it direct into an interface and have silent use/recording via your computer provided you use headphones. I purchased mine pretty much solely for the redbox output, being able to have a silent dimed tube amp while playing at 3am is beautiful.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
I like the Vox for low gain (and low volume) tones, so I would definitely recommend it, and also look at the Class five by Marshall too (with a volume pedal if necessary).
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
I have the AC4TVH (with the matching cab) and love it. It is still pretty loud though - If I want to turn the volume up above halfway to get it's natural distortion I really need to be using it on the 1/4w setting.

Also, if you want cleaner-than-clean cleans, you need to be using it on the 4w setting with the volume down low, below about 1/3 - even then it's more than loud enough for playing at home.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Ethanb08
No one in particular
1,003 IQ
I also recommend the hughes and kettner tubemeister 5 watter. I have the 18 watt head version and I use it often in its 5 watt mode cranked to get the power tubes cooking (not that thats the same thing as the 5 watt head itself) but I love it, sounds great, good cleans and a range of low to high gain tones. Definitely try one out if you can.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Maximus_2005
13 IQ
The vox ac4 is a great amp, i have one myself. go for the head and cab over combo. The combo has up to a 10" speaker while the cab has a 12". Its more flexable. The ac4 pairs really well with strat and teles.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
Quote by Cathbard

Self plug-ins ftw. Hey Cathbard, can we get a Sound Clip?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Apr 25, 2013,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by Maineguitarist
Self plug-ins ftw. Hey Cathbard, can we get a Sound Clip?
I couldn't resist. It would do exactly what he wants though. 18w'ers rock.

Here ya go.
http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 25, 2013,
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
887 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
I couldn't resist. It would do exactly what he wants though. 18w'ers rock.

Here ya go.
http://cathbard.com/files/sibly.mp3

Gotta say Cathbard, I didn't know Jack Daniels No.7 sounded that good.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard