I keep strings whole or half step down usually so I don't have to tune down when playing certain songs (plus the sustain and bending seems better even though I'm not even sure if that's true).

Anyway, I heard not keeping enough tension could be bad for the guitar. Also, I heard that changing tuning shortens string life (which I'm guilty of doing A LOT).
No, it's perfectly fine for your guitar. There are absolutely no negative repercussions from that.

For strings, changing up and down constantly will shorten the string life a little bit, but not enough to make a significant difference.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
wont hurt it too much unless you have a REALLY low action in which case you might get a bit of fret buzz but it wont damage anything

sometimes i tune my guitar down to dagdad or open tuning and keep em that way for days
Quote by kamikrazi123
I keep strings whole or half step down usually so I don't have to tune down when playing certain songs (plus the sustain and bending seems better even though I'm not even sure if that's true).
Well, due to the lower overall string tension, it follows logically that the strings would be easier to bend. The sustain issue, not sure.
Quote by kamikrazi123
Anyway, I heard not keeping enough tension could be bad for the guitar.
It isn't "bad" for the guitar. The only thing that does or could go wrong, is the neck can become, "too straight". Or as it's technically described, the neck can have "insufficient relief". That would only require a minor tweak of the truss rod adjustment. (At most a 1/4 turn clockwise, toward tighten). It's nothing you should undertake until when or IF, it happens.
Quote by kamikrazi123
Also, I heard that changing tuning shortens string life (which I'm guilty of doing A LOT).
I don't use anything but standard tunings. (E on 6 strings, D on 12 strings). But I found that when I'm doing a set up, which requires tuning all the way down up to a few times, the "new string twang" seems to go away real quick.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 25, 2013,
Yeah its fine to change tunings a lot, done it forever. Usually tune half step down and capo as needed, just because of the music Im playin.