Skint Out
288 IQ
Yo guys. Search barred this but couldn't find anything lol, or im just blind, not sure.

I have a problem recording bass tracks, as in my useless usb microphone wont pick up the frequency.

Is there any usb mics out there that would allow me to record bass, or would a line in even work? even if its poor quality? lol.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Bass Guitars are most commonly recorded through DI's for exactly this reason.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
3,130 IQ
It is possible to record through the bass amp, but you need the correct microphone for it - an ElectroVoice RE20, such as the one I have here, is occasionally used for this purpose. As Chemical mentioned, common practice is to DI the bass into the mixing console, or recording interface.
Skint Out
288 IQ
Quote by dannycasevnx
Which USB microphone is it? Also how are you micing it?

The one you get with Guitar Hero. Inexpensive, and surprisingly isn't too bad. I usually mic it up for recording guitars, but with bass it sounds like a wet fart.

Bass Guitars are most commonly recorded through DI's for exactly this reason

I suspected as much. I'd prefer not to shell out on a DI.

It is possible to record through the bass amp, but you need the correct microphone for it - an ElectroVoice RE20, such as the one I have here, is occasionally used for this purpose. As Chemical mentioned, common practice is to DI the bass into the mixing console, or recording interface.

Hmm, Is this ElectroVoice RE20 a USB mic? Also would you recommend it?

I assume keyboards are in the same boat as well? or is it possible to mic them up with my Guitar Hero mic?
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Honestly I doubt you ever seriously thought that a GuitarHero mic would be enough to let you record things properly...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
roaraudio
289 IQ
Quote by Skint Out

Hmm, Is this ElectroVoice RE20 a USB mic? Also would you recommend it?

Its a classic xlr dynamic. (just to clarify) not a usb one.
And yer dude.. RE20's are sick! for bass, for kick drums and for vocals (old broadcasters use to use them).
I realize DI's aren't in your price range, but if you ever get a chance check out an Audix D6 (it's a microphone).

I love the combo of a phase inverted DI blended with an re20 and d6 on bass amps.
TwoPlusTwo
Tab Contributor
168 IQ
Usually I just direct out, and then use a bass compressor in the daw.
plangentmusic
1,189 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
'Cause it's gonna cost you so much to get one of these.

LOL Right. It's like saying "I want to learn how to play guitar but I can't afford strings."
T4D
30 guitars and counting..
368 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Bass Guitars are most commonly recorded through DI's for exactly this reason.

there is a silly amount of presets for Direct recording of Bass ,. Do that first if you do not like the sound you get with Direct ,... post again.

(& maybe say why you do not like direct )
Skint Out
288 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Honestly I doubt you ever seriously thought that a GuitarHero mic would be enough to let you record things properly...

It was worth a try, and plus its not a bad mic to be fair. Sure its not a high quality mic, but it'll have to do as I have no moniez.

there is a silly amount of presets for Direct recording of Bass ,. Do that first if you do not like the sound you get with Direct ,... post again.

(& maybe say why you do not like direct )

Its not like I dont like them, its more the prospect of paying out more moniez, but I suppose it would probably be better than the wee mic I use now.

And its probably best getting advice from the 'ol tone gurus on ultimateguitar rather and going around making mistakes and sheet.

And yer dude.. RE20's are sick! for bass, for kick drums and for vocals (old broadcasters use to use them).
I realize DI's aren't in your price range, but if you ever get a chance check out an Audix D6 (it's a microphone)

Ill keep that in mind

Cause it's gonna cost you so much to get one of these.

I can tell that thing will be the devil.

But its affordable Ill give you that.
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
3,130 IQ
Quote by roaraudio
Its a classic xlr dynamic. (just to clarify) not a usb one.
I realize DI's aren't in your price range, but if you ever get a chance check out an Audix D6 (it's a microphone).

I love the combo of a phase inverted DI blended with an re20 and d6 on bass amps.

Not only is it a classic, but it's a workhorse. The RE20 is still used by most broadcasters - most radio stations use them, as do television stations and voice-over artists. It's also a favorite of studios, as Roar alluded to. The RE20 is as popular today as it's ever been. If you want to see a picture of one, I have a photo of mine on My Gear page. I've used mine for everything from a boom mic, to recording acoustic guitar, to miking cabs. It's special. It will also set you back around $450.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Skint Out
I can tell that thing will be the devil.

But its affordable Ill give you that.

It's actually not bad for the price. It's just an unbranded version of the Behringer Guitar Link, and it will do the job for recording DI guitar and bass.
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
It's actually not bad for the price. It's just an unbranded version of the Behringer Guitar Link, and it will do the job for recording DI guitar and bass.

as doubtful as i am about the quality of such a device, since the mic isnt doing the job, this cant be any worse. it looks like a solid option to get someone into recording on a low budget, but i can see it being outgrown pretty quick.

that said, Skint Out i would try this if you have a budget issue. there are obviously things out there that would be better, but would cost you more. this would at least get you a cheap way to DI the bass. and if you want to do serious recordings, i would start saving up for a nicer interface.
Skint Out
288 IQ
Quote by jof1029
as doubtful as i am about the quality of such a device, since the mic isnt doing the job, this cant be any worse. it looks like a solid option to get someone into recording on a low budget, but i can see it being outgrown pretty quick.

that said, Skint Out i would try this if you have a budget issue. there are obviously things out there that would be better, but would cost you more. this would at least get you a cheap way to DI the bass. and if you want to do serious recordings, i would start saving up for a nicer interface.

You have a point.

I think my mate actually had one of the behringer guitar links and it was unreliable as airplane food. Might of just been a faulty model however.

but I suppose if I can get used to reaper then I could make it sound at least half respectable... I hope.

Well as its only really for demos and experimentation at the minute, I suppose its my best option.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Skint Out
The one you get with Guitar Hero. Inexpensive, and surprisingly isn't too bad. I usually mic it up for recording guitars, but with bass it sounds like a wet fart.

lol, buy an interface asap. Seriously.

Crap in, crap out. Etc. Etc.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Of course, anyone who is balking at the price of that little Behringer doo-hickey is going to pass out at the thought of laying down $450 for an RE-20.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Arch1119
UG's Wii
348 IQ
most modern bass recording is done with a DI or a pre-amp straight into the DAW. If you want to mic a bass amp, you will need a mic like a the AKG D112, Audix D5, or Shure Beta52a.

Personally I like using a tube pre and amp modeling plugins
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals