Title really says it all.
As of right now, I don't have a devoted tuner pedal. I've been using a Digitech RP80 processor as my tuner for years, but I want to get it off my board because of the amount of space it takes up...and I don't use it for anything else so it's a waste. Are Boss tuners really the "best"? What's the difference?
I'd rather have a dirty shirt and a guitar than a clean shirt and no music.

Turn my amp up to 11 six nickel-wound strings have saved me again.

music + food + beer= the good life
Pedal sized tuners to me seem to be more or less equal in terms of accuracy. (as in, not as accurate as rack tuners but good enough)

The big differences are bypass and stage visibility. Boss Tuners are buffered bypass, many of the newer ones like the TC Polytune are true bypass.
There was a tuner thread a little while ago and someone brought up a point that I thought was really good - at this stage you're arguing the difference between .01% % .1% accuracy - but that's so fine, it can be altered by sheer pick attack.

With that in mind I say there isn't a difference worth worrying about with the current big names.

I use a TU-3. I have no real comments on it - it just works.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I gotta say I like my tc mini polytune. Very little pedalboard footprint, works well, and easily seen. I think that's about everything you could ask for?
Quote by hallowedshred
I gotta say I like my tc mini polytune. Very little pedalboard footprint, works well, and easily seen. I think that's about everything you could ask for?

Yeah, +1. I can definitely see the screen well without glasses. Why I don't wear glasses? Well, they get in the way when playing guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

i use the (not mini) polytune

works great
the main difference is in the toleranced but mny times its negligable

for the most part just look for a pedal that has what you need
visilibily on stage
buffered or not
ease of use

i like the polytune cause its very visible on bright stage and a dark one
and with a floyd i can see which strings have gone flat or sharp and how tuning a string affects the tuning of all the other stirngs
and i think its true bypass(cant remmeebr at the moment if it comes what way or not)
Quote by Offworld92
There was a tuner thread a little while ago and someone brought up a point that I thought was really good - at this stage you're arguing the difference between .01% % .1% accuracy - but that's so fine, it can be altered by sheer pick attack.

+1

Even fretting a little harder will pull a note sharp. Differences that small won't matter. Just buy the one with the features that work for you, accuracy isn't really a concern... At least that's my thinking.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have TU-2 and would agree with the above. Get one that is easy to see and that reacts quickly. Apparently, the TU3 reacts faster than the TU2. I don't know if either of these pedals are worth the price. The cheap hand-held unit I used to have worked just fine, but required you to unplug from the amp, which you may not want to do.
i did have a korg pitchblack, traded it for a GT-8

was it good/useful: yeh
do i miss it: not really
would i get another: probably if i had £40 or so spare
what do i currently use: one of these bad boys (and it suits me perfectly well as i can put the guitar in one end, then run the other end through to pedals. sorted)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I have the TU 3 and yeah, it works. Never let me down, highly visible on stage.
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
I have a behringer tuner pedal

It works though and has held up for a few years, so I can't really justify spending money on another one yet.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
If you're considering a polyphonic tuner like the tc polytune or korg pitchblack poly, definitely try them out first. I was pretty set on the polytune until I tried it and didn't like it at all.
Kenneth
GFS-90 floor tuner. Half the price of everything else, same quality.
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie

I have one too, it's cheap and works well. But it IS slower than the Boss and the Pitchblack, but honestly who cares. You're paying less than half for it new.
There's also no power out spot for it if you were planning to use your tuner pedal to daisy chain.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I've used a few and they've all been fine. Except for my Fender PT 100. I could not get mine to work, then again it might just have been broken.
To me they pretty much all do the same thing the only real factor for me is durability. I've had my boss tu 2 for roughly ten years and despite the paint peeling and the name label being worn off its survived great with no trouble. It's been thrown stomped and smacked and it works like a champ.

Though obviously the tu 2 isn't an option since they don't make it anymore the tu 3 is the same thing with better lighting a better bypass and is slightly more accurate
Quote by Guitarbaddie

I loved mine for quite awhile, but I started to have an issue where I would get a weird hum noise that faded in and out with the LED. I thought it might just be mine, but a buddy of mine had the same trouble after using the pedal for quite some time. No clue what caused it, could be something that happens with more expensive tuner pedals too
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Artec Tuner/EQ combined pedal?

Thought I'd mention it here as if it's fairly decent at both jobs, it would potentially be a great purchase - by adding the tuner to another pedal, you save money and save pedalboard real estate.

In case you haven't seen it before:
(Invalid img)

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by l3p4rd
I have one too, it's cheap and works well. But it IS slower than the Boss and the Pitchblack, but honestly who cares. You're paying less than half for it new.
There's also no power out spot for it if you were planning to use your tuner pedal to daisy chain.

A daisy chain cord would solve that issue, I think.

If I wanted my tuner to track each note immediately, I would just get a turbotuner and never buy another tuner.
Squier Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
GFT-90
anyone ever see one of these before?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400454929491ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
considering it just because its so cheap. i mean if it sucks, at least only spent $16, right?
I'd rather have a dirty shirt and a guitar than a clean shirt and no music.

Turn my amp up to 11 six nickel-wound strings have saved me again.

music + food + beer= the good life
Link is broken.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yep. Looks like a POS. I wouldn't, regardless of accuracy, just based on the fact that it doesn't look like it's durable at all.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go for it. It's a relabeled Daphon, so it's not gonna be great, but it's made out of metal, so it should be reasonably durable. Normal price is $45 or so.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
as off world said, simpyl touching a string differently can bring you in or our of tune more than those tiny differences. get one that doesnt break, meets your budget / features, and has a bright easy to read screen.

...i like the GFS.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Do you need a pedal tuner? You could also consider buying a headstock tuner. They are handy and you don't need a pedal that would take space. And you don't need to plug it into anything so there's no signal loss.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115