Yes, nobody can deny that his skills have declined in the last decade or so, but he was once one of the premier shredders in all of metal history and had a great musical feel as well.

Here are 2 examples of incredible & flawless solos from Kirk playing live during the Black Album tour in 1993:

Creeping Death, solo begins at 2:40:
http://youtu.be/8FuH213vQ-U

Fade to Black, solo starts at 5:10, one of the best live metal solos ever:
http://youtu.be/2EP3v4Hr7qc
i never thought he sucked
but i never thought he was great

to me hes the taco bell of metalguitar players
i always listened to mettalica for the riffs and singing and only a few solos really blow me away
Quote by Barricade_28
Fade to Black, solo starts at 5:10, one of the best live metal solos ever:
http://youtu.be/2EP3v4Hr7qc

It sounds like he's forgotten how to play it. Still, he's not bad considering the cornucopia of mediocre guitar plays - better than me, for sure.
Quote by Hydra150
Is that Mandy Moore in your avatar?
he's the kind of guitar player who's awesome when you're wasted at the concert and wanna hear penatonic fast solos and trills and shit like that. he's good for certain moods, but from a technical standpoint he's pretty much what angus young would sound like if he got a hold of a wah pedal.

Oh but let me mention the Unforgiven solo is one of the best in history if you ask me, just for the raw feeling behind it. Unforgiven 3 solo is really well written too in my opinion.
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
This guy is garbage. He has a freaking wah and plays like he only has two strings. Barely keeps the feel and rhythm even when he's being all melodic and slow. Hammett is just so freaking overrated.

Lars sucks too while we're talking about it. He's a better manager than he is a musician.
Last edited by sonofgkex at May 2, 2013,
His skills haven't declined. He simply doesn't write interesting shit anymore, although, I don't know how much he really wrote of the earlier work.
Quote by Barricade_28
Are you 12 years old? Because you post like it.

I like Metallica as much as the next guy, but Kirk is NOT a guitar player who deserves to be lauded here -- at least, not for anything he's done since And Justice For All.

Also, we do have a Metallica thread, believe it or not...

Edit: Apparently, we've had so many threads about Metallica that most of them are closed. And with good reason. Metallica's early work was interesting, but they never were amazing songwriters. There's far more interesting bands to discuss than Metallica.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 2, 2013,
Its important to consider that its not just technique that we measure guitarists by but also by the way we can remember them. Kirk Hammett was taught by Joe Satriani but I think he's definitely better than his teacher in terms of his contributions to songs. How many solos do you remember by Satriani versus Kirk? You are free to debate whether he's not a technical play because of an extensive use of a wah-wah pedal, but consider how iconic his solos are in each Metallica song and maybe in metal in general.
Most of the most memorable Solo's in Metallica were played by James anyway.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Nope.

But I really am not an AJFA fan.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Kirk never sucked (except maybe his slide playing in Bleeding Me).

His solos always added excitement to Metallica's thrash songs. He's got a sense for the drama and dynamics of a solo, along with good melodic ear.
Quote by supersac
to me hes the taco bell of metalguitar players
i always listened to mettalica for the riffs and singing and only a few solos really blow me away

Now that's kind of unfair, there's far more to Taco Bell than just riffs and singing
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.