etyoop
10 IQ
Hi everyone !

I'd like to buy a 8 year-old LTD EC400 for around 350 USD.
The price is negotiable and the a flightcase is included in the price.

I would like to keep it for a few years at least.. So, I wonder if it is worth it. What is the lifespan of such a guitar?
what about the fret?? or I don't know what else.

Let's assume that the guitar was well maintained by the owner.

PS: As you may assume, I am not really guitar expert.. I have now a Ibanez GSA60 and I am getting a bit sick of it ..

Cheers.
Arunas
110 IQ
If it stays in tune well, has very little, or decent fret wear, the neck is not warped, truss rod working, electronics working, price is ok and you have GAS for it.

Then the only thing that could possibly stop you from buying is....The possibility of invensting the money towards a better AMP ?

I don't have one, but the word around here goes that the LTD EC 400 is a very nice guitar.
Last edited by Arunas at May 7, 2013,
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
360 IQ
Yes. Older LTDs are on average much nicer. My 7 year old MH400 is one of the best guitars I've owned.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Yes. The old 400 series LTD's decimate the new ones.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Yes, however keep in mind that the older EC models are different than the current ones, in that they have flat tops with a little elbow cutaway, much more like a LP shaped Strat than a traditional carved top build like the modern ECs are.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
The same shape is still used by the very low-end LTD ECs. I actually quite like it, I think it's a shame they don't make a decent-quality one any more. It's basically a more comfortable verion of an LP Special or Junior.

As others have said, if it's still in good condition then go for it. LTD 400s of more than five years ago are basically what the LTD Deluxe range is now, in terms of actual, objective quality. Same factory pumping the LTD Deluxes out now that made the 400s a few years back.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
etyoop
10 IQ
Thank you for all your advice and recommendations :-)
The guy say that the neck is ok.
I will definitely check the fret to make sure they are ok.

However, I don't know how to check if the truss rod is working. But I assume that a not working truss rod is pretty rare..

My only hope is that this guitar will keep rocking (or keep metaling for many more years
RedJamaX
50 IQ
I have an EC400vf from 2008 and I still love it! Easily worth $350 even if it's got some dings, just as long as the action is still decent, and the hardware and electronics are all in order.
etyoop
10 IQ
So, I bought my 8-year-old LTD EC 400. I got it for 325 USD. I am very happy about it. I think the action is good. One of the pickup slightly buzzes (mostly when I fret the A string).
I don't what is that. But, I assume it is nothing big.

Cheers
samuraigoomba
50 IQ
Sounds cool. I love high-end LTDs, and if you got an old one, it probably has most or all of the EC1000 features. The new 400 models removed I think the earvana nut and some other nice things.

My LTD is a Viper 1000. Great guitar.
bobafettacheese
100 IQ
Quote by etyoop
So, I bought my 8-year-old LTD EC 400. I got it for 325 USD. I am very happy about it. I think the action is good. One of the pickup slightly buzzes (mostly when I fret the A string).

Cheers

Are you sure it is the pickup, or do you have fret buzz? I find it odd that the pickup would buzz when you are fretting just the A string. Where do you notice the buzz the most, just A string or around particular frets on the A string?
Congrats on the new guitar. I have had a couple LTD's, good guitars, I just got away from actives.
Gibson-DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Ibanez RG570, Ibanez rg1550m, Fender HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey 5150, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
etyoop
10 IQ
Good question. Well, I hear this very little buzz coming from the bridge pickup. But, I might be wrong.
Perhaps am I too paranoid? I have checking and looking at this guitare from every angle since I bought it ;-)
RedJamaX
50 IQ
Quote by etyoop

Cheers

Nice!! HNGD!!

got any pics!??
etyoop
10 IQ
Last edited by etyoop at May 23, 2013,