Page 4 of 4
yeah, i mean look at the forum; it's pretty sad. are people just not using guitar pro much these days or is it UG as a whole getting less traffic?

i guess I can answer the question myself since ive barely posted any critiques in the past few months (usually I'd just do it when people crit my stuff, as C4C). I just expected there to be some new blood to replace the old, afaik this forum hasn't ever been this dead.

do you think we can revive it
We can if we post. I haven't been doing much tab myself, tbh. The thing with Dan is actually helping though, keep getting more ideas for other songs.

I think it's mostly that since GP6 came along and with all the cross-platform bugs and problems it brings, people have been less willing to share/collab as a result because GP6 is what most people are buying/dling these days.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I'm still check the forum from time to time. I still write up quick transcriptions for fun when I have time. Like HaydenHohns, I've been mostly busy studying. I kind of lost the motivation to post in the forum as the activity died down. People haven't been posting up too many new songs--and when people do post new material, barely anyone ever stops to give critique. At that point, I'd imagine that the only way to renew interest in the forum is to do a collaboration. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by D2BII
I'm still check the forum from time to time. I still write up quick transcriptions for fun when I have time. Like HaydenHohns, I've been mostly busy studying. I kind of lost the motivation to post in the forum as the activity died down. People haven't been posting up too many new songs--and when people do post new material, barely anyone ever stops to give critique. At that point, I'd imagine that the only way to renew interest in the forum is to do a collaboration. Just my 2 cents.

yeah, i could see a collaboration working that way. i'll be honest, i'm pretty selfish about critiques; i usually don't post one unless i'm returning the favor for a critique someone gave me, or if that particular person's stuff intrigues me anyways. i will check out other people's songs, but i don't feel the motivation to crit their stuff if it doesn't stand out in some way to me. it's hard to explain...

For example, if a person has really good ideas but poor execution, i'll be more likely to critique their song, as opposed to someone who has boring ideas but good execution. "boring" as in, something that just doesn't interest me. I can't suggest that you get more creative, or if i did, that'd basically be the only thing i'd say.

that being said (i'm totally starting to rant here) i feel like i should start critting more shit just on the principle of being helpful+keeping this forum alive.

if someone started a collab thread, i'd be more than happy to participate even though I should be busy with studying

I think it would be cool to start up a kind of collab that is just writing solos or something. Base it off a main riff and just keep the solo writing going.

I have a fun little riff in mind and I can start it off if anyone is interested.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Last edited by kylendm at May 23, 2016,
Wow guise, this made me sad

Quoting myself is a bit obnoxious I know, but it's easier and I'm lazy :3

Quote by Ometh
I guess the reason is because forums are pretty much an obsolete concept nowadays, and people are moving on to other technologies. Also the most regular users are probably moving on, either giving up on using tabbing software altogether or just focusing on recording music for their own enjoyment/band(s)/projects: that's why the Original Recordings subforums seems to be alot more active. I can only speak for myself really: haven't written anything since like July of last year, not because I don't want to but because I don't feel happy with anything I do. I often try to revive this subforum since there's alot of gold scattered throughout the years I have been here and there have been many people I often look foward to hear new stuff from. Either way I'll check your song out and I'll probably crit it

I haven't posted anything because I have barely written anything other than the few "jazz" inspired songs that I've written last year. Don't want to write much about it here but basically I'm depressed, yadayada, I don't feel like doing anything, etc. Tried to get some help (therapist) but it didn't work out because it was for professional, not personal issues (I'm also unenployed) and the therapy wasn't working out so it had to end. It's silly, I've come to realize that I've been like this for years but I've only realized it now. I'm dumb.

Anyway, I do have something to share with you guise: I don't think Erra even knows about this but I managed to end our collab song. We traded back and forth a few times over the year (2013) and it got stuck in limbo until I found it again and decided to end it because it was long enough. Hope we can somehow revive this collab because I'd love to record it: it's so pretty :3
Attachments:
ErraCollab2013 (1).gp5
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at May 25, 2016,
Quote by kylendm

I think it would be cool to start up a kind of collab that is just writing solos or something. Base it off a main riff and just keep the solo writing going.

I have a fun little riff in mind and I can start it off if anyone is interested.

post it pls
Just adding my two cents about the lack of activity on the forum (btw, not even sure if anyone remembers me, haha):

Like you guys, I wish it was still as active as it was around five or six years ago - that was when I personally was most active. I've been a member of a few forums that shared Guitar Pro compositions, and every single one seemed to die within a year or two, so at least this place wins for longevity! :/
In retrospect, I wish I had been more active - my only defense is that my music tastes were (and still are) quite different to the average user here. I just couldn't relate to a lot of the music posted here, haha.

I think this is a problem that affects more online communities than we realise - there seems to be a critical mass that is required to keep things active, but issues arise when the baby boomers (as it were) grow up and have less free time and motivation. The pillars of the community slowly disappear, and you're left with a slow but inevitable death, barring some miracle. It's a damn shame, because you never realise how awesome and beautiful a thriving community is until it's way past its prime.

In regards to my writing, these days I'm focused more on production, as most people aren't particularly appreciative of MIDI. Most of my stuff I post on SoundCloud rather than a forum. It's vastly inferior to a forum, where you can have a dialogue with a listener, but it's something. I still use Guitar Pro as a writing tool, although it's definitely less important to me now than it used to be.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say here - I guess I'm just basically wanting to say "Hey! I miss the old days too!"
We should take solace and be happy in the knowledge that we experienced this forum at it's peak.
We were the right people at the right time with just the right technological advances and the right technological limitations also for such a forum to thrive.
Unfortunately for most of us life got in the way and this strange utopia faded into the annals of history...

I still listen to our collabs from time to time, it usually ended up as a beatdown competition between Ometh and somebody else (occasionally myself) and then CheesyMozarella would ruin the fun by actually writing something credible.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
i always lolled when wquenessar (sorry for completeling mispelling your username) would always write shred and sweep stuff to "slay the dragon and save the princess"
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh Haha I totally forgot about that

Colossus
For the holy castle, of course :^)

I still listen to the collabs as well. We should definitely do one of those again, featuring:

- Cheesy cleaning stuff up
- Ometh crashing GP5 with grindcore
- frankibo/AngrySockMonkey breakdowns for days
- RedDeath9's 128 bars of progressive with shifting time signatures
- JazzDeath's 7-handed percussion arpeggios
- TuxGuitar user who breaks all the mix tables
- Guitar Pro being Guitar Pro

All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
RedDeath9 I'm up for it, I can dedicate a solid 15 - 30 mins a day to it, and that's roughly 10 times what my breakdowns usually take to write...

Colossus
Oh, a collab... :P I'd be interested... This forum is pretty dead... Everyone is right... I don't believe it would spark a liveliness like it used to have, though. I agree with the point above... GP6 helped kill the liveliness of the forum... GP6 is pretty bad. So if none of us GP6 and the "newer composers" are using GP6, we can't check it out, which of course means no interaction.

I still check in from time to time, though... But usually only when I get a private message about one of my songs that someone has on their hard drive from years and years ago... (Which by the way, is an honor... Haha) :\ I've gotten older with a lot of things to do... And--for the first time--actually have a band that practices and performs... School, and then a full-time job on top of having other adult-type responsibilities... But even with all of that... I still have GP5 open every single day along with a notepad keeping track of all of my ideas and stuff...

I don't think the music / inspiration died in any of us... Just between the GP6 shift and life, we've gotten away from being able to commune like we used to... But I would love to be able to part of the community again and post up new songs and try and breathe life into what was!
i don't know what we should start the collab with. i made this thing but I don't know if it's "accessible" enough to build upon, if that makes sense
Attachments:
technicaldrumshit.gp5
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by D2BII
Working on something now...

sure, do you wanna make a new thread when you post the file?

edit: lol i forgot to do bass
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Aug 1, 2016,
Quote by RedDeath9
sure, do you wanna make a new thread when you post the file?

edit: lol i forgot to do bass

Yeah, I'll post a new thread. I came up with a fully fleshed-out idea but you posted something before I had the chance to finish it. lol

It's gonna take me a little bit to link these ideas together. So, in the interest of time, I think I'll make a skeletal structure for it and then we can fill the skeleton with our embellishments (hopefully before others join in).