Page 3 of 3
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,522 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Which is the reason that you'll probably never find a true Jazz/Metal fusion album. Metal is a much more static genre when it comes to structure, where as Jazz is fluid. It's incredibly difficult to mix the two in the truest sense.
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluiditycomes from how the lead is played.

You see Metal is about primitive riffs to form a rhythm. Jazz is all about swing and chords to get rhythm.

Jazz centers around chords. The rhythm, fills, licks and solos all center around chords and strange time signatures, much the same as Reggae.

Now, try playing a song with next to no overdrive on your guitar, never getting louder than the five other band members. Then with your guitar, which has been rendered acoustic, playing at a 284bpm , you have to play C#7sus4, Bbmin9, Faug, D9sus/13. You also have to do this without making a mistake and keep in perfect time, playing these chords by flexing your hand as if you were playing a bass or classical acoustic.

Tl;dr? Fine, I'll make it simple. Don't embarrass yourself trying OP. For, when it comes to skill and sophistication, you got Jazz and then eventually comes everything else
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Which is the reason that you'll probably never find a true Jazz/Metal fusion album. Metal is a much more static genre when it comes to structure, where as Jazz is fluid. It's incredibly difficult to mix the two in the truest sense.

This is why you get so many metal bands taking influence from (an immature interpretation of) classical/baroque music. The results might be cringe worthy to most non-metalhead classical fans, but it makes sense, being tightly orchestrated with just occasional cadenza. That, and the fact that any guitarist who discovers the harmonic minor scale thinks theyre the coolest thing since Paganini or Blackmore.
Quote by AllJudasPriest

Jazz centers around chords. The rhythm, fills, licks and solos all center around chords and strange time signatures, much the same as Reggae.

Now, try playing a song with next to no overdrive on your guitar, never getting louder than the five other band members. Then with your guitar, which has been rendered acoustic, playing at a 284bpm , you have to play C#7sus4, Bbmin9, Faug, D9sus/13. You also have to do this without making a mistake and keep in perfect time, playing these chords by flexing your hand as if you were playing a bass or classical acoustic.

What are you even talking about?
And jazz is as much about melody as the rhythm, and playing around with that melody to your hearts content.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 21, 2013,
E7#9
Registered missle cruiser
183 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluiditycomes from how the lead is played.

You see Metal is about primitive riffs to form a rhythm. Jazz is all about swing and chords to get rhythm.

Tl;dr? Fine, I'll make it simple. Don't embarrass yourself trying OP. For, when it comes to skill and sophistication, you got Jazz and then eventually comes everything else

There is so much wrong in that post. It's almost a troll calibre post. Not everything is wrong but...
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
It reminds me of something that a jazz guitar teacher that has never listened to any sort of music other than mainstream dad rock, blues, and Top 40 would.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Bazz22
246 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest

You must be trolling.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
It reminds me of something that a jazz guitar teacher that has never listened to any sort of music other than mainstream dad rock, blues, and Top 40 would.

... say
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,522 IQ
Quote by E7#9
There is so much wrong in that post. It's almost a troll calibre post. Not everything is wrong but...
I'm not attempting to troll at all. If I am mistaken, why not just point out the errors?
Quote by theogonia777
Since this appears to be about me, the fault with your logic is that I'm eclectic and have listened to much more than what you pointed out. Try again...
Quote by Hydra150
What are you even talking about?
And jazz is as much about melody as the rhythm, and playing around with that melody to your hearts content.
Apparently I was stating the same as you, on the reliance of melody and rhythm.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Apparently I was stating the same as you, on the reliance of melody and rhythm.

There's something to be said for being succinct and, y'know, not babbling incoherently about time signatures and for some reason reeling off a chord progression and then varnishing in a corrosive layer of elitism.
AllJudasPriest
UG's Parrot
14,522 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
There's something to be said for being succinct and, y'know, not babbling incoherently about time signatures and for some reason reeling off a chord progression and then varnishing in a corrosive layer of elitism.
Fair enough... Sorry
Its So Easy
Dang apostrophes.....
292 IQ
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
ermagerd leviathan
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
Quote by Its So Easy

A friend of mine is in this years One O'clock as Lead Trumpet. He's only a Sophomore in college...

Try "Ice Nine" from the same group.

theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Since this appears to be about me, the fault with your logic is that I'm eclectic and have listened to much more than what you pointed out. Try again...

I'm not saying that you are. I'm just saying that that is who I would expect such a statement from.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
donender
Get back to work
2,047 IQ
Quote by E7#9
Oh dude I forgot to mention; check out Billy Cobham as well. He's actually a drummer, but his fusion stuff is really great.

Check out his album Spectrum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNuQGucVEk

I second this. Almost forgot Cobham, actually.

There have been some other good suggestions too, like Schofield, and earlier Slipknot is a lot more varied. Diablo Swing Orchestra are a kind of strange mix of rock/metal mixed with swing, with some crazy operatic vocals thrown in. Check out Estradasphere too, they are kind of ****ed, but there is some jazz sounding stuff in there.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by AllJudasPriest
If I'm reading this correctly, then no. While Jazz may be about improvisation, but its fluidity comes from how the lead is played.

Fluid wasn't the right word to use I don't think.

I don't know much about Jazz past what I've listened to and what I've listened to is almost exclusively Bebop. I was just always under the impression that Jazz centered around improvisation more so than odd time signatures are crazy extended chords. I guess I should listen to more traditional stuff.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Hey, where the fuck you at, TS?
Don't just throw a vague request/question out there and leave is to fight over it, what's the deal, what is it you were actually looking for/why, you hear anything you like or what?
Or has the jazzfunk infected your brain and knocked you into a comatose state - don't worry, it's fairly common, and not necessarily life threatening.