TheBystander9
76 IQ
Howdy! I've been playing the guitar(self taught) on and off for about a year and a half, however I'm playing basic rhythm and singing songs 99% of the time. I really ain't satisfied with that, I've got an acoustic currently but I plan on getting an electric by the end of the year. I've realized I'm pretty clueless when it comes to guitar solos or anything like that.
What I would love to know is - where do I begin on this road? Could you please point me in the right direction? I've seen a thread with some video lessons in this section, should I follow that? My plan was to learn the basic scales first which I am doing past few days, learning the basic major scales. I'm really clumsy with the pick but I got the basics down, such as how to hold it, up-down picking and stuff like that. I'd like to set myself up with a proper exercise routine.

Thanks a whole bunch in advance!
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
To save you from alot of pain, trouble and frustration: get a good teacher.
baab
TheBystander9
76 IQ
Quote by My Last Words
To save you from alot of pain, trouble and frustration: get a good teacher.

I'd really love that, however I'm living in rock bottom conditions and can't really afford a teacher. Also forgot to mention that I ain't really looking to become the next Jimi Hendrix, would just love to be able to pull of some intermediate solos.
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
http://www.justinguitar.com/ has some great answers for all of your questions! I think it's best just to look into the beginner course, find out where your level is at and start from there! Really, since your question is so broad it would be the best to just look for yourself. If you want some more insights on certain techniques, or have any questions feel free to ask them here! (technique that is, for theory head over to the musician talk subforum)

Good luck!
baab