winghamwill
20 IQ
Hi i have a marshall AVT150 head and cab, just out of curiosity i was wondering what changing the valve in it would do/ if it could improve the sound, or even chance the sound slightly when on overdrive?
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
300 IQ
Nah, it won't do much, if anything at all.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
It may improve the sound a little. If the tube has never been replaced, a new 12ax7 deffinately will not hurt at all. But it is likely you will not notice much of a diffrence
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MaaZeus
30 IQ
If its old and worn down, it will affect the sound negatively but tube rolling itself has very little effect. I dont remember what the tube was for (i think it was different with each valvestate generation) but its job is small.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
danvwman
20 IQ
It will make a difference, I use a JJs ec83 ...I think. Lasts about a year, b ut I kick the crap out of mine. It starts taking longer to start up when I need to change it. But the sound degradation is very slow. You wont hear it until you change it.

On mine everything but acoustic goes thru it, if the tube went out there would be no sound so I disagree with the tube dosn't do much statement.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at May 22, 2013,
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
170 IQ
Quote by danvwman
It will make a difference, I use a JJs ec83 ...I think. Lasts about a year, b ut I kick the crap out of mine. It starts taking longer to start up when I need to change it. But the sound degradation is very slow. You wont hear it until you change it.

On mine everything but acoustic goes thru it, if the tube went out there would be no sound so I disagree with the tube dosn't do much statement.

That's sound logic... So since my Walkman (for the young guys just think iPod with batteries ) won't work without batteries I should be able to hear a difference between brands... Right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
intwernet
"I always have a plan."
114 IQ
I have AVT50, I changed the valve just once for the original Marshall valve, then replaced it again but couldn't hear any difference in sound.
Maybe it affects the time it takes to heat up, as said before.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
Quote by tubetime86
That's sound logic... So since my Walkman (for the young guys just think iPod with batteries ) won't work without batteries I should be able to hear a difference between brands... Right?

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser
30 IQ
I would look at the AVT as a solid state amp. The tube in it is probably there because of the marketing reasons.