nothingsus
21 IQ
I'm trying to learn a song and that involves alternate picking power chords quickly and I'm having trouble playing as fast as required with a fluid motion because it feels like there is heaps of resistance when i strum. If I use a thin pick, the song instantly becomes easier, but it's obvious I'm cheating a flaw in my technique by using it.

Does anyone have any pointers that I can follow in order to quickly alternate pick power chords?
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
It might seem quite obvious, but slow it down. Get it perfect slow and then start increasing the tempo until you can do it at full tempo.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
Quote by nothingsus
I'm trying to learn a song and that involves alternate picking power chords quickly and I'm having trouble playing as fast as required with a fluid motion because it feels like there is heaps of resistance when i strum. If I use a thin pick, the song instantly becomes easier, but it's obvious I'm cheating a flaw in my technique by using it.

Does anyone have any pointers that I can follow in order to quickly alternate pick power chords?

Maybe you are creating a flaw by not using a thinner pick? Use what suits you, no need to increase the difficulty.

However, a small piece of advice: relax relax relax..
baab
harmony_melody_
23 IQ
the tension will disappear once you learn to practice slowly with a metronome, and at various speeds.

Tension impairs fluidity, so it's no surprise you aren't getting good results. Also, a thin pick is actually the wrong choice. A thick pick forces you to hold it a lot more lightly and thus aids in getting rid of the tension too.