dropb81
662 IQ
I've wanted a Gibson SG since I can remember... and may come up with a grand or so in the next couple weeks... so the hunt begins. I've been looking at the tribute guitars online. I know I want 24 frets but not sure of neck profiles. I've played a few Gibsons in the past, but never asked "hey what neck profile is this?" I'm between the 70's tribute with a 70s profile, and the future tribute with an asymetrical neck profile. I play mostly progressive metal and tend to tune low.

I'll play before I buy, but to the Gibson owners/players out there, I'm curious which neck do YOU prefer and why?

Mike
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Flying V profile because it's perfect.

Only Explorers and V's have it.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
hydraone
Free Bird
414 IQ
The one on the 2013 Standard.

60s style, compound radius.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
Seref
Gob****e
688 IQ
I like fatty pig fatty baseball 50s style, mostly because I'm a rhythm player. If I played leads more often I'd probably like 60s SG profiles more.
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
638 IQ
50's necks all the way. Just feels comfortable to me and IMO adds tone.
Moving on.....
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by KenG

joe b agrees.

i prefer 60s necks.
theScapegoat
104 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Exactly! though i don´t play gibsons. i got a vgs custom shop traditional ´58 V
modeled close to a gibson, perfect neck to body balance, smooth as hell.

My VGS eruption (LP) has a thick 50`style mahogany neck with a german oak fretboard
(that thing almost made me homeless)

Neck profile depends on your preference, i like fat neck´s on super heavy solid bodys.
but lots of people prefere flat d shaped rubber bandish neck´s, because they offer easier fret access on the upper neck.

Go for rounded (´50s) C shape for thick sustainy notes, modern flat D for easy finger
travelling
ne14t
1,045 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Gibson Explorer owner checking in! The Hybrid neck is bloody sexy for when you just want to molest the hell out of your guitar, but lately I have been finding the more vintage 50s style neck on my Traditional nicer for chord work. Hadn't played my Explorer in about a month, when I picked it up the other day I forgot just how fast the neck really was.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
AmirT
248 IQ
Quote by KenG

How does a neck profile change the tone (unless you're talking about the neck feeling more comfortable, thus making playing easier and let things sound smoother)
ltdguy27
Doodly Doo
269 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Tama Drums/ Sabian
ne14t
1,045 IQ
Quote by AmirT
How does a neck profile change the tone (unless you're talking about the neck feeling more comfortable, thus making playing easier and let things sound smoother)

I don't see how it could add tone, but the extra wood on the neck can increase sustain as the notes will vibrate in the guitars body longer. My Traditional has a fat neck and it sustains a lot longer then my Explorer does, under MILD gain, if you crank the gain the Explorer's pickups are so hot it will scream a lot longer then the Traditional but that's kinda cheating.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
638 IQ
Quote by AmirT

Play a few notes and feel the headstock, it should be vibrating. The neck will be vibrating as well (much more than the body/top). Does it not make sense that thicker necks would be stiffer and change which freqs are absorbed or reflected?
Moving on.....
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
They're all different. As I've said many times, I've played 60s necks that were thicker than most 50s, 50s necks that were thinner than most 60s, Slim-Taper necks that felt almost straight, straight necks that tapered greatly, all sorts.

Gibson necks are one of the few necks around that get finished by hand. That means every single one of them is different. Not just by mode, by individual unit. You can pick up two Les Paul Standards that are meant to have the same neck and they'll feel totally different from each other.

This, along with how different the weight and tone can be, is why you never buy a Gibson blind.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
57 is perfect for me.

I cant say no to a 59 profile either though.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
Mr.DeadDuck
UG's best Dave
316 IQ
60's I'm not sure either neck profile does much for tone
SMILE!
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
They're all different. As I've said many times, I've played 60s necks that were thicker than most 50s, 50s necks that were thinner than most 60s, Slim-Taper necks that felt almost straight, straight necks that tapered greatly, all sorts.

Gibson necks are one of the few necks around that get finished by hand. That means every single one of them is different. Not just by mode, by individual unit. You can pick up two Les Paul Standards that are meant to have the same neck and they'll feel totally different from each other.

This, along with how different the weight and tone can be, is why you never buy a Gibson blind.

i call bullshit.

even gibson knows 50s necks are thicker than 60s necks.

i mean, necks do vary but not so much that they overlap.

here is a comparison of a R9 and a couple thinner 60's type necks. nobody is going to oversand a R9 into 60's thickness.

BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

+3
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
i think they vary to an extent where whether i like it or not it really depends on the individual guitar and not the neck profile it's meant to be, but i guess each neck profile has to meet certain tolerances.

i just like the ones with a narrower string spacing at the nut best.
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
i call bullshit.

even gibson knows 50s necks are thicker than 60s necks.

i mean, necks do vary but not so much that they overlap.

here is a comparison of a R9 and a couple thinner 60's type necks. nobody is going to oversand a R9 into 60's thickness.

The entire reason I ended up with the R9 I did was because the neck was thinner than the other 8/9s and the one 0 available had a ridiculously thick neck. This experience has since proved to be consistent with my experience with Gibson since then.
I'm not saying that every 50s neck is paper thin and every 60s neck is actually as thick as old Telecaster necks, just that it is a possibility with this brand.

But don't mind me, I know nothing, I only handle six or seven Gibsons a week.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dropb81
662 IQ
Going up to GC after work tomorrow to see what they have in stock and play as many as they let me. If I'm lucky enough to find the right one I'll put a deposit on it and hold it until I can come up with the cash. Been drooling over pics of the 60's tribute SG in vintage burst... really hope they got one.
Last edited by dropb81 at May 30, 2013,