Page 268 of 268
From their website?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Apparently, Mr. Deville has gotten a contact high from Washington, 'cause:

https://reverb.com/item/2514704-mr-black-supermoon-chrome-2015-chrome-1000

The Black is short for black-tar heroin cause he is on some heavy smack.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Any of you guys tried the EHX Tortion? Come across a good price on one here. I kind of discounted it a while back because it was too dear. Basically for the vintage to hotrodded high gain marshall in a box type thing. Ideally into either a sparkly bright clean or (darker) crunchy amp.

I mean, I suspect what I really want is the Amptweaker Big Rock Pro but it's crazy expensive. Plus I've never tried any of the cascading JFet pedals and I might not like them. I'd rather find that out for £75 than £250.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Will Lane
If you guys had the choice between 4 of these silly pricey lightbulbs: http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/EL84-6BQ5-Tube-Types/Preferred-Series-7189-Premium-EL84

Or a TC Electronic Spark Booster and some strings: https://www.prymaxe.com/products/tc-electronic-spark-boost

What would you choose?
Speaking of that, I ordered the Spark Thursday and it arrived today. Surprisingly USPS is on their game this shopping season- last year they were a week late with one of my orders.

I ordered it from Pitbull Audio. I did not know much about the company but they seemed okay. However, they had a "too good to be true" price at $74.25. Usually the pedal is $99 (rarely) or $129. Signing up for their rewards program gets you 100 "points", which can be applied as a $5 discount. It seemed too good to be true but at the price I thought it was worth the risk.

After I ordered I kept researching the company and found this thread. It was discouraging enough for me to call the bank to have them cancel the order but by the time I did Pitbull already took the money out. Their Black Friday link only shows a few items so I was confused at how the pedal was so low. An AC30C2 is $999 there, $100 below the normal MAP. But I decided to just bear it and see what happens.

I wish I hadn't because it has been stressing me out, but the pedal arrived today and it looks right, sounds right, must be right. Nothing about it looks like it is broken or not working properly, it doesn't have any difference of design that would make it seem like a fake. So I dunno. I asked on TGP about the company and everyone seemed to have positive experiences with them aside from a few that had honest mistakes happen.

I wanted to have a sound clip of the pedal but I don't have any recording equipment at the moment so here is just a picture:

---
My only beef is that the center LED is not really secured to the chassis- it is just poking out from the PCB. I imagine some dirt could get in there and cause trouble or enough wiggling/a hard stomp could damage the LED. Is this normal for TC pedals?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 28, 2016,
I have made precisely one purchase from Pitbull. It was without issue. I paid, and I got what I paid for.

Which does not excuse crappy CustServ in those case when something went wrong, whatever the number of inc
idents is.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
^^ Nice score. Yeah sometimes it's worth taking a risk if the price is good enough, especially if it's a fairly cheap item.

^ Agreed (except I've never dealt with them).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I just took a risk on a new (to me) Keeley dealer: 25% off a Dark Side.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I just took a risk on a new (to me) Keeley dealer: 25% off a Dark Side.

Those look cool. I'm guessing it's a PF style pedal so a Muff style fuzz and an EM clone in a single box?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

It's everything DG in a box sans his guitar & talent.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
H4T3BR33D3R

It's everything DG in a box sans his guitar & talent.

That's super cool actually. If I didn't have a BoG FFM and a Dreamscape already I would seriously consider picking one up. Good score
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's super cool actually. If I didn't have a BoG FFM and a Dreamscape already I would seriously consider picking one up. Good score

Thanks! Since I don't let ownership of other pedals stop me from buying new shiny things- I just bought a McCaffery Run Rabbit Run a few weeks ago*- what is a BoG FFM and a Dreamscape?

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Thanks! Since I don't let ownership of other pedals stop me from buying new shiny things- I just bought a McCaffery Run Rabbit Run a few weeks ago*- what is a BoG FFM and a Dreamscape?

Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face Mini and a TCE Dreamscape (chorus/flange/vibe). Its a Petrucci sig pedal

I dont play LTE or DT but I love the pedal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hey folks, I'm wondering what you all think of EHX's new wah. I haven't tried it and I don't have any strong opinion on it on its own merits, but it seems like a pretty poor move business-wise. It's pretty much a basic pot wah in the vein of the popular Vox and Dunlop designs, but while barely undercutting them (or not at all, given the oversaturated used market) in price and having a plastic housing. I know cheap versions of the fancy stuff has been EHX's business model since the beginning, but this doesn't really have the price advantage something like the OD Glove or the East River Drive has over the pedal it imitates. Seems like they're trying to go somewhere there isn't a niche for them. Probably Mike Matthews' idea and nobody dares to disagree with the old guy

I dunno, just some thoughts I had and I was wondering if other people thought the same.
I haven't tried it either but I suspect you're right. Also, it's not like cheaper plastic wahs don't already exist.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

greeny23

Tasty price!

alhaq369
3 months without a post, pour one out for the pedal board homies
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

This seems like a pretty neat unit
I liked the King Crimson snippet. This guys demos show a broad taste in music as well as his skill and the pedals' virtues.

alhaq369

So.
Much.
WANT!!!

alhaq369
I got a canyon. I really need to make a video of it. It's such a cool pedal. I've been using it as everything other than a delay haha. I run it first in the chain and sometimes it's a pitch shifter, sometimes it's a pre-drive reverb, or a shimmer to feed into my other delay/reverb. And the s/h mode is really cool. Oh and the tape mode has a tape distortion setting which is fun for super mangled delays. And if you turn the mix up and the time down it can be a raspy broken overdrive.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Pedulz for days
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I like all these pedals individually but it does eventually get to a point where it's like, how many £300 boxes that turn your guitar into an indistinct, stuttering, slightly-out-of-tune bubbly noise do you really need? And some deep soul searching does ultimately take me to: "None"

Mind you, I adore those "Knobs" demos. Super charming and fun, if not necessarily the most informative way of doing things
K33nbl4d3

It's like stacking ODs: you set one TSB (tone destroyer box) one way, a second TSB another, #3 gets its own settings' etc.. Then you add your 3-5 ODs, a few fuzzes, and- of course- a looper, and you're set*. Easy peasy!

PS: Knobs is some of the best G-rated entertainment in the Internet, IMHO.

*. This, of course, is just for the signal chain to ONE of your amps in a multi-amp setup. Trust me, I have a plan.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
K33nbl4d3

It's like stacking ODs: you set one TSB (tone destroyer box) one way, a second TSB another, #3 gets its own settings' etc.. Then you add your 3-5 ODs, a few fuzzes, and- of course- a looper, and you're set*. Easy peasy!

PS: Knobs is some of the best G-rated entertainment in the Internet, IMHO.

*. This, of course, is just for the signal chain to ONE of your amps in a multi-amp setup. Trust me, I have a plan.
In a world where MBV released Loveless like 25 years ago is there really any point in this sort of nonsense anymore, though?

If I want vague noises I can listen to a politician trying to answer a yes/no question...
Quote by K33nbl4d3
In a world where MBV released Loveless like 25 years ago is there really any point in this sort of nonsense anymore, though?

Abso-furkin-lootlie!

1) if you're a guitarist, the stage is YOURS! You're who they came for, despite whatever the lead singer thinks. And what better way to prove the stage is yours than by taking up large amounts of it with your pedalboard. Even- or maybe especially- if 50%+ of them won't be used ifor that gig or tour. See Steve Stevens or Scott Holliday for beautiful, huge, complex rigs.

2) shoegaze is woefully under appreciated.

3) I love fusing the unusual with the familiar. I currently have in mind an arc of compositione based on the theme of surfing/exploring the seas posited to exist elsewhere in our solar system. The core aesthetic will be from surf, but alien tones from shoegaze & metal will be present, as will odd time sigs. My pantheon of pedals will be key.

If I want vague noises I can listen to a politician trying to answer a yes/no question...

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
1) if you're a guitarist, the stage is YOURS! You're who they came for, despite whatever the lead singer thinks. And what better way to prove the stage is yours than by taking up large amounts of it with your pedalboard.
And, of course, taking away large amounts of the audience's ability to hear with actively unpleasant noises.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
2) shoegaze is woefully under appreciated.
Yeah, but once it had been done it had been done. No shoegaze album was actively interesting after Loveless.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
3) I love fusing the unusual with the familiar. I currently have in mind an arc of compositione based on the theme of surfing/exploring the seas posited to exist elsewhere in our solar system. The core aesthetic will be from surf, but alien tones from shoegaze & metal will be present, as will odd time sigs. My pantheon of pedals will be key.

Disclaimer: I'm being facetious, except about the shoegaze bit
Quote by K33nbl4d3
And, of course, taking away large amounts of the audience's ability to hear with actively unpleasant noises.

Not all pedals have to be engaged all the time and at full strength. I actually advocate dialing things in with restraint.

Though sometimes, fullbore is the way to go.

Yeah, but once it had been done it had been done. No shoegaze album was actively interesting after Loveless.

Disclaimer: I'm being facetious, except about the shoegaze bit

You're dead to me.

( )

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not all pedals have to be engaged all the time and at full strength. I actually advocate dialing things in with restraint.
Right, because you buy .50 BMG rifles for varmint hunting
K33nbl4d3

Damn skippy, junior! Obliteration is key- nothing worse than a wounded varmint!

alhaq369
K33nbl4d3

In all seriousness, though, part of the logic behind my pattern of pedal acquisitions is that I'm building multiple pedalboards.* And sometimes, I have found that 2 pedals I like don't play together the way I want, but subbing one or both out for similar ones gets me the desired results.

I'd be more detailed but as a hobbyist instead of being a pro, I've never taken notes on these interactions. So- inefficiently- I start the process anew each time.

* yes, telling myself this DOES help me sleep at night.

alhaq369
Just had to send my Keeley red dirt mini in for a repair
Hope it gets sorted, as its such a key pedal on my board
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I had some more adventures at GC the other day.

I saw a Spider Classic sale (basically the Spider 4 circuitry) right in front of my eyes. Some guy was looking for a Blackstar amp and GC did not have any in. So the rep suggested the Spider, saying "These are kind of the pioneer of the amp modeling world" (no they are not), and said some other fluffly garbage. The customer bought it without even trying it. What a shame.

Because I've been searching for a modeling amp, funnily enough, I was playing on a Spider 5 at the time and my perception of it has changed from "mildly surprised" to "mildly mild". It was the 60w model. The distortion characteristics seemed dense and unclear, with a lot of artifacting- typical "cheap modeling amp" sounding. Maybe I tried the 120w model last time and the 12'' speaker made a difference, or maybe my ears just settled. The amount of functionality still is a curious bit, though.

I also tried the THR series (the classic and "normal" version) and was quite surprised. Clean tones were great, drive tones were reasonable. However its lack of functionality hold it back a bit. You cannot put in delay times manually by the ms from what I could see on the front panel, you can only tap tempo, which means getting .8 times will be difficult. The reverbs though sounded great. The AC simulation on the classic sounded quite good None of the models on the classic had enough gain on tap for a higher-gain sound, though. The normal version did, but it lacks a proper AC simulation.

I tried the Katana again and it seemed to be in the same boat as the THR series, but it sounded a bit worse overall. It is a bit cheaper than both the Spider 5 and THR, though. I don't know, a lot of people like them so maybe I am still missing something. Also I had the chance to try one of the new Mustangs. I think I was on the smallest model. Clean/breakup tones were reasonable, drive tones were mushy. The menus were a little difficult to navigate. Not the worst, not the best.

Lastly, I tried a VT40x and that was awful. The AC simulation could not get any volume without cranking the gain, and that sound was disgusting. Really unclear and muddy.
Got an EHX 44 Magnum this week.

Really chuffed with how compact and loud it is.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster