It's pretty common to use frets above 24 to notate pick-slides/scrapes. Other than that if someone is "tabbing" flutes, violins or keyboards for effect, those theoretical frets will often be used as they're above a guitar's pitch range.

If that's even what you're asking.
My initial reaction was that he's asking why there are sometimes 30+ versions of a tab.

If that was the question:
1 - a lot of it is because of the different tab formats (standard tab, chords, uke, bass, power tab, guitar pro etc)
2 - a lot because there are different versions of a song to be tabbed
3 - the main reason is because back in the good old days before tab approval everything submitted was pretty much automatically added to the site creating lots of duplication.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
e|-------------37-----47----36------------------|
B|-------------50--------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------|

Something like this..
Quote by WingSee

Something like this..

My guess is that it's a drum tab or a tab for some other instrument with a higher range than guitar, or else whoever tabbed it is an idiot.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
My guess is that it's a drum tab or a tab for some other instrument with a higher range than guitar, or else whoever tabbed it is an idiot.

That does look like drum tabs, but I've seen many tabs where they were mashed together like it's a super high fret. What's wrong with that? I always figured it'd be quite clear it's two separate notes.
Quote by WingSee

Something like this..

Where, exactly is this coming from? That would certainly help us give an actual answer rather than guessing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.

Originally Posted by WingSee

Something like this..

Where, exactly is this coming from? That would certainly help us give an actual answer rather than guessing.

^This - I know Ibanez has a guitar with 30 frets, and I thought the tab might be for that (for some reason) but those are way too high to be for any guitar.
If I could get THAT sound out of a Casio Mickey Mouse watch, I would play a Casio Mickey Mouse watch
Last edited by Wetstra at Jun 12, 2013,