Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
Searched and found nothing, so here we go.

I've only just become a fan of these guys, but from what I've been reading, basically every even remotely progressive death metal/deathcore band owes them a career, so I was pretty keen to check out the new album. Needless to say, it absolutely slays. Makes me think of mid-late Dark Tranquility if Devin Townsend was in DT. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9LrIPAiGxo
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Awesome album, just got my copy in the mail today. They tend to get a little bit of hate cause of the Christian themed lyrics but generally I think they are pretty much accepted and known as a fantastic prog/tech/death/whatever band.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Yeah, I don't know if you listened to their other albums but they are just as good. There's also a band called Mantric that was created when Extol went on "hiatus" and it's basically the other Extol members who aren't on this newest album (but sounds pretty dang similar to Extol).
HamburgerBoy
32 IQ
I love Synergy, very Believer-influenced but probably still more technical and diverse (although some of the modern melodeath influences are for the worse imo). Never thought of them as prototypical/hugely-important to modern tech-death or deathcore, though I haven't given their earlier material a ton of playtime. The new song sounds pretty good to me.

For another Extol-related band, there's also absurd^2, kind of a continuation on the thrashy Synergy sound although not as good, who released just one 3-song EP.
DamienEx1021
PC Police
209 IQ
I don't think I have heard any of their stuff in years... I remember Burial and Ember being awesome songs.

/me digs out old burned CD's from the days of Kazza.

Yeah... it has been that long since I have listened to them.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!
vilk
******ed
225 IQ
Yes I believe they are still a Christian band, at least based on some of the lyrics I've understood from the new album.

Honestly, I can say Extol is the only christian music that I listen to. I really wish they weren't christian, and I have before written off bands that were otherwise good just for being Christian, but due the fact that the band is not American (I can pretend that they don't act/think like religious americans that I grew up around) and also just because there is no one else out there who makes music like these guys... I find myself listening to this new album thinking: this freaking rocks.
Listen. I'm sorry.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Magero
Searched and found nothing, so here we go.

I've only just become a fan of these guys, but from what I've been reading, basically every even remotely progressive death metal/deathcore band owes them a career, so I was pretty keen to check out the new album. Needless to say, it absolutely slays. Makes me think of mid-late Dark Tranquility if Devin Townsend was in DT. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9LrIPAiGxo

This is much better than their 2005 album. Which makes me glad.

The 2005 album was...ugh...

But I love Synergy and Undeceived.
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden
482 IQ
I never understood how "Christian lyrics" can put someone off. But what ya gonna do?
Philosophy > Life
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
It depends how Chrisitian they are.

Like if a band is like "THIS BREAKDOWN IS FOR JESUS" I'm gonna turn it off even if I loved the song thus far.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

Like if a band is like "THIS BREAKDOWN IS FOR JESUS" I'm gonna turn it off even if I loved the song thus far.

I think even bands like Zao and Extol would facepalm to that kind of thing...
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire

People like Antestor are pretty blatantly Christian, and they're Black Metal.

I listened to a little Extol for a while. My exposure to Metal was through 2 gigs of Christian Metal a friend gave me. If people play enjoyable music with Christian themes, more power to them. I enjoy many Christian bands.

I'll check out the new stuff when I'm off work.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 25, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I'm much the same. I have no issue with Christian themes as long as it's mature. I perhaps didn't make my full point in favour of making a bad joke.

It's more the idea of Metal "Worship" Music I don't like. Which is basically the metal equivalent of a hymn for children. That I hate. Or when bands start preaching on stage, like what happened when I saw August Burns Red.

Religion is a life Philosophy, with the same depth as any other Philosophy. It needs to be treated as such when used musically.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jun 25, 2013,
TheStullk
10 IQ
I have been spinning this album since it became available. Nearly flawless; it's hard to believe this band has been on hiatus for so long. Definitely worth checking out/purchasing.
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I think even bands like Zao and Extol would facepalm to that kind of thing...

Someone mentioned Zao. This makes me happy.

Quote by BladeSlinger
People like Antestor are pretty blatantly Christian, and they're Black Metal.

I know my opinion is way too biased to take but I think (despite their cheesey lyrics) Antestor are better than the majority of other black metal.

And back on topic:
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
This is much better than their 2005 album. Which makes me glad.

The 2005 album was...ugh...

But I love Synergy and Undeceived.

I thought Blueprint Dives was pretty good. It was rather different than the others but really I think all of their albums have large diversity.
vilk
******ed
225 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Or when bands start preaching on stage, like what happened when I saw August Burns Red.

I actually used to legit like ABR until I saw a video of them doing this. I actually didn't know that they were christian, because I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics, I learned some songs and was actually doing covers of them with a band I was in, and then one day one of the guys in the band was talking about how it's weird that they are christian, and I was like 'really? these guys are christian?' and then he's like up on stage going "WE JUST WANNA THANK YOU GOD AND JESUS AND GOD BLESS US EVERYONE NO MORE SINS LETS ALL BE RITEOUS AND GO TO HEAVEN!!!! I PRAY 4 UUUUUUUUUUUUUU" and I basically said ok guys, guess what songs we aren't going to be covering anymore!

Musically, it's not bad. But like honestly if someone saw me playing that song and thought I was this sort of person it would honestly make me angry. Because I really don't like people like that. I was shocked when I found out. I can still admit that they have good riffs, but I can no longer listen to them play without it sounding like preaching.

Extol, to my knowledge, does not behave in this way. And they freaking rock.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Jul 1, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I still like ABR, I respect their freedoms to believe and say what they like. To think otherwise is bigoted. If they started doing that kinda stuff in their music, I'd stop liking the music, but that has no impact of my opinion of them as people.

Lot's of great bands are Christian.

Quote by Rawshik

Then you should spend more time in the Hardcore forum

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 2, 2013,
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Quote by Rawshik

I know my opinion is way too biased to take but I think (despite their cheesey lyrics) Antestor are better than the majority of other black metal.

And back on topic:

I thought Blueprint Dives was pretty good. It was rather different than the others but really I think all of their albums have large diversity.

I like Antestor more than a large portion of Black Metal. I like them because they play solid Black Metal without defaulting to anti-Christian themes. Seems like a lot of bands think it's required to play Black Metal.
Quote by cemges

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
vilk
******ed
225 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
I still like ABR, I respect their freedoms to believe and say what they like. To think otherwise is bigoted.

big·ot [big-uht] Show IPA
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I don't like bands that preach christianity =/= I am a bigot.

However, I am bigoted against buttheads who go around spouting BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! any time someone says they don't care for something. It ticks me off because I actually know what the word means--and I'm not a bigot. If not liking bands that preach christianity makes one person a bigot, then not liking people who don't like bands that preach christianity makes the other every bit as much of a bigot. Even though as I've mentioned this is not the correct use of the word.

Quote by BladeSlinger
I like Antestor more than a large portion of Black Metal. I like them because they play solid Black Metal without defaulting to anti-Christian themes. Seems like a lot of bands think it's required to play Black Metal.

Let's not confuse satanic with anti-christian. And while no doubt there is a fair share of both in many black metal bands, there is like an unreal amount of great black metal bands that write about neither satanism nor anti-christian themes. Examples: Drudkh, Weakling, Shining, Deafheaven, Arcturus (when they were BM), Darkspace, Wolves In The Throne Room (though I don't like them that much)... off the top of my head.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Jul 4, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Hmmm you're right, bigot isn't the right word. I apologise.

It just seems strange and a tad judgmental that you stopped liking the music due to something that isn't actually evident in the music; that people may start to think you're a "Christian Sympathizer" or something.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
vilk
******ed
225 IQ
no that's not it. Didn't I say it in my post? I don't like the band because now every time I hear the music it just sounds like preaching. It's quite evident in the music if you know the words. And not just that, because I'm not him and I don't know what he's thinking, I have to assume EVERYTHING is some kind of christian metaphor etc. Words that I assumed were mostly just there to scream now have a definite meaning, and that meaning is to love god, which irks me to no end. Of course I also do not want to be confused for a christian sympathizer, but definitely former is what I feel more strongly about.

judgmental is the right word. I wouldn't be offended in the least if someone called me a 'judgmental about christians' person
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Jul 5, 2013,
NABEF9
Banned
466 IQ
Quote by vilk
no that's not it. Didn't I say it in my post? I don't like the band because now every time I hear the music it just sounds like preaching. It's quite evident in the music if you know the words. And not just that, because I'm not him and I don't know what he's thinking, I have to assume EVERYTHING is some kind of christian metaphor etc. Words that I assumed were mostly just there to scream now have a definite meaning, and that meaning is to love god, which irks me to no end. Of course I also do not want to be confused for a christian sympathizer, but definitely former is what I feel more strongly about.

judgmental is the right word. I wouldn't be offended in the least if someone called me a 'judgmental about christians' person

So you've stopped listening to a quality metal band because they have Christian lyrics? Wow.
You do realise that you sound as stupid as Christians who refuse to listen to bands that aren't Christian, right?
Jon777
Assbender
1,137 IQ
I was pretty stoked when I heard that they were putting out new stuff after that sizable that break they took. I've only listened to Open the Gates (sounds like Devin Townsend meets Porcupine Tree) and one other song but I dig 'em so hard. I appreciate that each of their albums so far seem to bring something different to the table.

The new album isn't out already, is it? I need to listen to that shit.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Quote by vilk
big·ot [big-uht] Show IPA
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I don't like bands that preach christianity =/= I am a bigot.

However, I am bigoted against buttheads who go around spouting BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! any time someone says they don't care for something. It ticks me off because I actually know what the word means--and I'm not a bigot. If not liking bands that preach christianity makes one person a bigot, then not liking people who don't like bands that preach christianity makes the other every bit as much of a bigot. Even though as I've mentioned this is not the correct use of the word.

Let's not confuse satanic with anti-christian. And while no doubt there is a fair share of both in many black metal bands, there is like an unreal amount of great black metal bands that write about neither satanism nor anti-christian themes. Examples: Drudkh, Weakling, Shining, Deafheaven, Arcturus (when they were BM), Darkspace, Wolves In The Throne Room (though I don't like them that much)... off the top of my head.

A valid correction. I guess I was meaning more of the association with anti-Christian themes in Black Metal. I realize that the actual number isn't actually that much.
Quote by cemges

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by NABEF9
So you've stopped listening to a quality metal band because they have Christian lyrics? Wow.
You do realise that you sound as stupid as Christians who refuse to listen to bands that aren't Christian, right?

How's that stupid? If it's off-putting to the point where it gets in the way of his enjoyment of the music then he's completely valid in not listening to it anymore. Just like a christian not listening to Inquisition because of the lyrics while liking the music is just as valid.

OT: I listened to a few tracks off this album and I felt it was pretty boring. Everything sounds really weak and tame, and the lyrics are, basically, the same thing for every song, I.E. "You are the creator, I love you and wish to be with your jebusness". That puts me off a little as well, to be honest. >_>
NABEF9
Banned
466 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
How's that stupid? If it's off-putting to the point where it gets in the way of his enjoyment of the music then he's completely valid in not listening to it anymore. Just like a christian not listening to Inquisition because of the lyrics while liking the music is just as valid.
That's a terrible comparison.

We're talking about a non-christian listening to a band that expresses Christian lyrics. Those lyrics do not directly attack the non-christian. I can understand how a satanist might find the music unlistenable because of the lyrics, but unless you're a satanist, the lyrics just represent a view different to your own, not one that should be offensive to you.
On the other hand, Inquisition, with such lyrics as "Holy trinity of God, I trample on your faces" - I can see how a Christian might find that off-putting.

That being said, if you're not a satanist, you should either find the lyrics of both Extol and Inquisition to be either repulsive, or a non-issue. It doesn't make sense to say that one of them is off-putting and one isn't, unless you're either a Christian or a satanist.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by NABEF9
We're talking about a non-christian listening to a band that expresses Christian lyrics. Those lyrics do not directly attack the non-christian. I can understand how a satanist might find the music unlistenable because of the lyrics, but unless you're a satanist, the lyrics just represent a view different to your own, not one that should be offensive to you.

As a non-christian who disagrees with the dogma of Christianity, I find that hearing it being preached to be cringe-worthy and, depending on how preach-y it is, it can ruin the music for me. It doesn't matter if I'm staunchly against the religion, I still feel uncomfortable listening to something that talks about the "glory of the father and son" and it really turns me off of the music.