Page 24 of 24
Quote by ErikLensherr
A college town seems like it'd be more of a community with events and activities and such, whereas in a big city people will go to class and then go back to their lives. Commuter schools basically.

surely not everyone in a place like NYU or UCLA is from NYC or LA though? like I get people are more likely to have pre-existing lives in those places than they would be in a shitty place like State College or Charlottesville but it shouldn't be commuter school levels

basically I'm worried about making friends
You'll make friends don't worry just be yourself.

Also you should pick LA because there'll be more fun things to do and you can meet people that way.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Why is double-spacing the standard formatting option? Double-spaced papers look so damn clunky.

Back in my day, double spacing was preferred because it left space for the lecturer to make notes as they read, and for some students, they needed a whole lot of red pen.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Never done post-grad but looking outside in it seems like they're all adult and have wives and shit which might be a friend-making obstacle. But I dunno I figure there'd be plenty of people in LA your age that you could be friends with if you go to clubs or whatever.
Quote by genghisgandhi
this turned out fine

how much harder is it to make friends in a big city school vs a college town? looking at law schools in LA and I'm worried I wouldn't be able to meet anyone in a big city like that, especially since you don't live in dorms doing post grad (not that I'd ever want to)

My only experience with this is through my wife. She was married all through her undergrad and commuted to school.

By her own admittance, it was difficult to make friends. However, you AREN'T married and loads of single people in grad/post-grad school rent together. Lots of her friends in the MSW (master of social work) program at UW Seattle live together and are fine making friends, and that's a much smaller community than what I imagine you'll be getting into.

Plus it's goddamn LA. Just don't be weird and you'll make friends lol
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I live alone, don't really have any friends outside of people from my classes, and only one of them lives near me. So my social life has really taken a hit which sucks a lot. Most of my classmates are around the same age as me and only 2 are married, but my field tends to skew younger than other programs.

But i also haven't joined any group activity things yet because I wanted to settle down and take care of myself first without getting into unhealthy habits or taking on too many things. I spent a lot of time cooking, reading, being a tourist, and doing crafty things this past semester and I enjoyed it. In addition, the things I am studying in grad school are just so fascinating to me that I could read about them on my own all day. I think I've spent more time talking to my professors than my friends. So it's not like I've exhausted all my opportunities to be social - I've barely even done anything.

I am thinking about joining some sort of dance group because exercise is the only thing I haven't kept up with but I'm only interested in ones that are further away/require a car to get to and I don't have one. So maybe I'll just do soulcycle or something idk lol.
cat
^ get a cat

i am still very close to my friend group from high school. i make friends at school easily (i commute) but i have limited interest in them compared to my existing friends.

one thing i oughta do is hit up babyjoel ya know
Quote by guitarxo

I am thinking about joining some sort of dance group because exercise is the only thing I haven't kept up with but I'm only interested in ones that are further away/require a car to get to and I don't have one. So maybe I'll just do soulcycle or something idk lol.

What about public transportation?
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I'm actually surprised you still don't own a cat, guitarxo.

My only two friends in the world right now were never in the same classes/institutions that I attended.

Oh yeah, on my uni experience: I'm super disheartened about it. It's gonna be a hell both getting accepted by the unis and the embassy. Now that I don't have to do anymore work for a while I'm just thinking about how impossible it is. Of course, I'm delusional enough to try.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
My apartment doesn't allow cats, otherwise I would've gotten one by now. I'm thinking about adopting a hamster though.

Quote by Dreadnought
What about public transportation?

Some of them are not accessible by public transport. The others are, but I wouldn't be comfortable in those areas on my own at night which is when most of the meetings and classes are.
cat
Quote by Dreadnought

Plus it's goddamn LA. Just don't be weird and you'll make friends lol

tbh with L.A you're definitely allowed to be weird.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Strongly considering going back for my masters this fall. Thought I'd share that.
Quote by Rossenrot
Strongly considering going back for my masters this fall. Thought I'd share that.

In history?
Quote by bradulator
In history?

Nah, international affairs. It's most relevant to my interests/career.
Quote by Rossenrot

My wife is about to finish her MSW application for next fall. Go for it
Quote by Rossenrot
Nah, international affairs. It's most relevant to my interests/career.

Nice. What career you looking at?

I want to go back in a couple years maybe and get my masters in history so I can be a legitimate author. Probably not because it would be a major waste of money.
I've thought about doing a masters, but it only seems worthwhile to me if I could make a half-decent attempt at getting my thesis published. The credential and education itself don't seem all that worthwhile compared to work experience and independent study.
Quote by bradulator
Nice. What career you looking at?

I want to go back in a couple years maybe and get my masters in history so I can be a legitimate author. Probably not because it would be a major waste of money.

Its less of a specific career and more of a general field. There's a variety of options once the degree is completed. I have a good job now but I have an appetite for something more relevant to my interests.

Quote by Dreadnought
My wife is about to finish her MSW application for next fall. Go for it

It's convenient cuz I work at the university here, but I think I'd have to cut back on my hours to commit the way I want to. My stamina for formal education is running kind of low, and I'd like to finish the degree as fast as possible. I'm gonna schedule a counseling soon and weigh my options.
Last edited by Rossenrot at Dec 29, 2015,
Quote by Rossenrot
It's convenient cuz I work at the university here, but I think I'd have to cut back on my hours to commit the way I want to. My stamina for formal education is running kind of low, and I'd like to finish the degree as fast as possible. I'm gonna schedule a counseling soon and weigh my options.

My girlfriend's about to finish up a master's. She finds it pretty taxing, but at the beginning of it, she had enough time and energy for a full-time job. She quit because she really doesn't need the money and all it did was take up time she could allot to other things. I don't know if she would be able to work and go to school at the same time now that she's about to start her final semester.

I guess it really depends on what else you've got going on in your life, because her life is pretty lax.
UCSD is pissing me off. Their registration process is whack as fuck. I signed up for all my classes as soon as they were available. I checked my email this morning to find out that I also have to sign up for a lab section for one of the classes that was not mentioned anywhere in the course description. So of course the only available lab section that doesn't conflict with my other classes is wednesday nights from 7-9 p.m. That's a four hour gap after my last lecture of the day ends.
What's the difference between independent study and interdisciplinary majors/concentrations?
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Regarding working full time and doing a Masters. My personal experience is that it is not easy.

I work as a Test Support Engineer (maintenance basically) for an Electronics manufacturing company. It is 7am - 4pm Mon - Thurs and 7am - midday on a Friday.

I study a part time MSc in Manufacturing and Management (shortened the title).

My contact hours are 4 week long modules from October to January, twice. So over two years I have done (well about to complete) 8 modules.

This isn't too bad (although the week away from home is sometimes tough, and of course the accommodation costs money.

There are 4 exams and 4 "assignments" attached to those modules. So far I am averaging 71%. Which is better than I did at undergrad level. Probably because I am more committed to this as I want a better job.

The hardest part is the Dissertation and Thesis though, as they are meant to be tied in to my actual work. However I was promoted shortly after starting the degree, but didn't actually start the role until 5 months later. So it seriously delayed my dissertation. To the point that I still haven't started and am rapidly approaching my second deadline. So I am still sorting that out.

My issue is two fold.

1. I have not pushed the benefits of the degree/dissertation strongly enough with my managers
2. Because I chose to do the degree and funded it myself my employer is not particularly interested in how it is proceeding, so they aren't exactly doing anything to help me. So any ideas I have suggested get forgotten about pretty quickly.

Provided you can avoid this issue then I see no problem completing a Masters and working full time.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen
Quote by JackalUK
First or a 2:1. Anything less kinda gets shat on a little. So 70%+

I don't understand your grading system at all. 70%+ is a massive region. Is there no distinction between high grades?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't understand your grading system at all. 70%+ is a massive region. Is there no distinction between high grades?

yeah it's so ******ed. 90s are the things of myth
Why not give the percentages? In the Netherlands we give points on a scale from 1 to 10, usually with decimals as well.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by JackalUK

60%+ not 70, unless OU it seems.

good news for me I guess <_<

still upsetting to not do as well as you think you should have
Quote by JackalUK
First or a 2:1. Anything less kinda gets shat on a little. So 70%+
Quote by JackalUK
60%+ not 70, unless OU it seems.
Yeah I was gonna say, a 2:1 is most definitely just 60%+ in the UK

Of course it largely depends on what your subsequent plan is, but I wouldn't panic too much if you don't think you're likely to get even that. In a few years your grade is essentially forgotten anyway.

I'm 25 now, so I graduated 4 years ago. I got a 2:1, but in hindsight I don't think my life since/current job would've been any different whatsoever had I only got a 2:2. It's the old adage that your GCSEs are forgotten once you reach A-Level, your A-Levels are forgotten once you reach uni etc. It's often a case that uni then becomes forgotten when you've got relevant work experience.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should still try and do as well as you can regardless.
Last edited by matt bickerton at Feb 9, 2016,
A lot of uni courses here won't give fails bc that means losing money

there's a lot of leftist dialogue in there

that's all you need to know about our current higher education system
Quote by Blayney
Regarding working full time and doing a Masters. My personal experience is that it is not easy.

I work as a Test Support Engineer (maintenance basically) for an Electronics manufacturing company. It is 7am - 4pm Mon - Thurs and 7am - midday on a Friday.

I study a part time MSc in Manufacturing and Management (shortened the title).

My contact hours are 4 week long modules from October to January, twice. So over two years I have done (well about to complete) 8 modules.

This isn't too bad (although the week away from home is sometimes tough, and of course the accommodation costs money.

There are 4 exams and 4 "assignments" attached to those modules. So far I am averaging 71%. Which is better than I did at undergrad level. Probably because I am more committed to this as I want a better job.

The hardest part is the Dissertation and Thesis though, as they are meant to be tied in to my actual work. However I was promoted shortly after starting the degree, but didn't actually start the role until 5 months later. So it seriously delayed my dissertation. To the point that I still haven't started and am rapidly approaching my second deadline. So I am still sorting that out.

My issue is two fold.

1. I have not pushed the benefits of the degree/dissertation strongly enough with my managers
2. Because I chose to do the degree and funded it myself my employer is not particularly interested in how it is proceeding, so they aren't exactly doing anything to help me. So any ideas I have suggested get forgotten about pretty quickly.

Provided you can avoid this issue then I see no problem completing a Masters and working full time

I appreciate the insight. Last week I met with graduate advisors at my program and was really pleased with the answers I got, then spoke with my employer. I'll probably be able to cut my hours down to about 28 a week so I can focus on school (trying to graduate in 3 semesters).

I'd be an idiot to not do this.
This quarter I'm taking a class called Politics of Multiculturalism. It's basically Bob_Sacamano the class.
finals coming up soon. Not gonna be fun...

had 110 people going into Freshman year, and now we're down to 64 and sophomore year isn't even over. I know a few people who are definitely gonna fail out after this semester. It's stressing me the fuck out.

Doesn't help that my uni's ridiculous grading system has anything under a 77/100 as a failure. Not even the Ivy League schools around here use that crap.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
TIL i'm halfway through uni and am currently averaging above the threshold for a first class degree!
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by TheChaz
This quarter I'm taking a class called Politics of Multiculturalism. It's basically Bob_Sacamano the class.

that actually sounds really interesting, I would love to take that class or at least do readings from it
cat
Quote by TheChaz at #33901083

Nice.