padricjoe
168 IQ
I recently replaced the two pickups in my Ibanez S520EX about a week ago and they sounded awesome, I was very happy with them.

But now I have run into a problem, my tone seems to have acquired a harsh, slightly fizzy quality which wasn't there before and sounds thinner and less rounded. I was playing with the gain up on the Neck pickup (OD channel) and when I switched to the Bridge, there was a huge loss in volume and gain, and I got a practically clean sound. This problem rectified itself after a few movements of the selector though.

I have been advised that my pickup selector has probably gone bad. I also think there could be a grounding issue as I get a humming/buzzing when I touch the bare metal of the pickup selector body, though I still have this problem after re-soldering the ground connections.

My only other thought could be that there is a problem with my amp, as I noticed the change in tone after playing through headphones using the emulated output for a fair while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is really starting to get me down
RCA1186
GO PACK GO!
1,555 IQ
I'd grab some electronic (contact) cleaner and spray a little of that inside, cycle the switch a few times, and repeat, see if that clears it up
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
padricjoe
168 IQ
Okay I will try and get hold of some contact cleaner. Never occurred to me before. Thanks for the suggestion.
RCA1186
GO PACK GO!
1,555 IQ
Its either that or maybe you have a loose solder joint on the switch somewhere, there really isn't much to go wrong on the switch itself I don't believe
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
padricjoe
168 IQ
Ah okay, I have gone over the soldering on the switch a couple of times so it should be okay. I just find it weird that I was having no problems before.