Insira
707 IQ
Apologies if this isn't the place to post this, but I didn't know where else it would go.

Does anyone have any online resources for learning 18th and 19th century tonal harmony? I've stumbled across a few textbooks, but they're pretty pricey, and I'm just looking to teach myself the basics and the most important ideas.

Anyone know any good websites for 18th/19th century tonal harmony?
cdgraves
44 IQ
You'd be best to get a used textbook and workbook (with solutions). The most valuable part of learning traditional harmony is having to compose it, yourself.

Bach to Berlioz is like 75% of what you'd learn in a few years of college-level music study, so a textbook would really be appropriate. You may be able to find one with its own problem sets that doesn't require a workbook.
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Search for 'recommended reading' in this forum and a thread should come up by me. You should be able to get some pretty cheap on Amazon, if not then send me a PM and I'll direct you somewhere you can get them 'cheaper'.
GoldenGuitar
Organiser of Sound
291 IQ
Quote by cdgraves
Bach to Berlioz is like 75% of what you'd learn in a few years of college-level music study, so a textbook would really be appropriate. You may be able to find one with its own problem sets that doesn't require a workbook.

Nah, we went from Bach all the way to Schubert, then Wagner and Berg's (still tonal just highly chormatic with a gratutious amounts of augmented sixth chords) earlier works too.

Anyway, I suggest that TS actually have a look at the textbook before buying it. As some of them are written horribly, the one I had put me to sleep.
will42
UG's bassoon-master
1,093 IQ
Quote by Erc
Tonal Harmony isn't a bad theory book. I'm not a huge fan of it but it basically covers what you need to know.

I enjoy my Tonal Harmony book, except for the part about counterpoint, but that's more just a stylistic difference.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
670 IQ
Yeah, there are better books on counterpoint. The Study of Counterpoint is a pretty good book. It's basically a translation of Gradus Ad Parnassum
will42
UG's bassoon-master
1,093 IQ
That's a new one to me, I should totally look it up. Thanks.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!