CaptainCadmium
Some Guy
121 IQ
Hey can anyone help me please? I'm just some guy that wants to record music that I write because I can't, for the life of me, find a band. I already have a set up that is petty questionable. Yeah, it gets the job done but the recording quality sucks. I have a Tascam DR-05 Handheld Recorer, Audacity, the demo of Guitar Pro 6, an auxilliary cable and a Roland Cube 40xl. I don't have any basses or a drumkit, which is why I use Guitar Pro.
Anyway, my main question is: Using this and as little money as possible, can I do to make a decent recording of a song?
Help would be thanked ''kindly''.
On the internet, anything can offend a person. Hell, I'm probably offending someone right now!
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Define decent?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
T4D
30 guitars and counting..
479 IQ
First,... Move to Reaper for $65 ?

then if you need drums MAYBE EZdrummer $99 ? with a good midi library ( move up to better options Sure there's ALOT of options but for more Money,... IF you decide to more up ..that's another question... )

Effects Just buy EZmix V2 for $99 ? ( yes again education gives you the Wave range Mercury for $ 6400) but EZmix will save you ALOT of time and education to get a good sounding track.

IMO ....this $300 odd dollars,... will give you the cheapest workflow with smallest learning curve with the most positive sound tracks.

you have to spend money to have fun, unless your a sheep-herder nymphomaniac.
and then what you spend your own time on having fun is your own business.
Last edited by T4D at Jun 27, 2013,
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Reaper, use stock or free VSTs found all over the net, Steven Slate Drums Ex for $99 and you're set.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
PSimonR
PSR
83 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
Reaper, use stock or free VSTs found all over the net, Steven Slate Drums Ex for $99 and you're set.

Yeah, that's the way to go Reaper is ACE

BUT you won't make a decent recording straight away - it takes skill and practice. You need to learn how to use the tools.

Try this forum:

http://www.recordingreview.com

and Brandon's e-books Killer Home Recording are the most comprehensive concentration of the knowledge you need - so save up and get them - in the mean time look for tips on the forum, elsewhere on the net, youtube etc. Your first objective should be to understand EQ and compression.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jun 27, 2013,
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
As has been said, get REAPER. Then some drum software (EZDrummer or Steven Slate Drums). For bass parts use REAPER's pitch shift plugin to shift your guitar down an octave.