IrishBlues15
133 IQ
I've recently started a band with two old mates of mine and another drummer they both know who is really good.

Anyways I mainly wanted to do it as I was sick of staying in my bedroom playing guitar by my lonesome.
First off, I ****ing hate 3/4s of the music we play, Artic Monkey crap,Lenny Kravitz and some other shitty song,We can jam though but the only decent song we're doing is Messin' with the kid by Rory Gallagher.
Now I learned all they're ****ing songs well and put a good amount of effort into songs I dislike , But oh no did they learn what I wanted(Messing with the kid), No they ****ing didn't.
The Drummer said ''it was live recording so I couldn't make it out'' Bullshit you can hear the drums well and there are tabs, The Bassist said he forgot,The singer forgot the lyrics and the rythm guitarist didn't bother with it, Though they all promised to have it down next week.

Second off, there are five in our band,I wished it would be a trio so bad but it would cause friendships to end,I want the rhythm guitarist out and the bassist out as our singer is a brilliant bassist. I could do rhythm and lead as I do both better than rhythm guitarist anyways.

Third, The stage appearance frightens me as I am quite short as is our singer but the rhythm guitarist is well over six feet tall and towers over me and I will no doubt be mocked over this and I tend to get uncontrollably aggressive whenever my height is commented on(I'm 15 btw)

Then the absolutley ****ing dumbass theory made by our singer who has persuaded the rest of the band into this theory, We need to cover all the pop tunes in the charts so people will 'listen to us' and I need to cut down my blues playing although he said he loves hearing me play blues and it hits home but it wouldn't get us gigs, I was close to hitting him across the head with the guitar.

And the rest of the band have no ****ing durability whatsoever, After like an hour of rehearsing we need to take a break for like 30 minutes which I obviously protest as its far too much break.They are worn out and tired after 1 ****ING HOUR! They were surprised that when we finished up that I got out the acoustic and played bottleneck since we were' SO TIRED MAAAN'

There is a big time spent goofing off.

Please give me advice before I lose my temper and sorry if its a bit of a read I'm just quite mad now.
ccannon1
Band Geek
1,331 IQ
The singer's correct in saying that doing pop covers is how you'll get gigs and seeing as how you're in highschool, gain popularity.

These are all amateur issues you're having and it sounds a lot like my first band which I ultimately ended up quitting.
soundgarden6742
162 IQ
People don't always get along

Just don't too much with playing all their songs, everyone needs to enjoy what you're playing.

When the Beatles were writing, if any one member didn't like what they were playing the song was scrapped.

If you can't get along with them find a new band, you'll be fine
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Sounds like they aren't on your level and you aren't on their level. Push harder for compromise or quit. The part where they refuse to learn the song you want to play sucks but the part about you being short is stupid.

If you think things can be better, maybe try quitting and asking the 2 guys to form a trio with you.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Quote by IrishBlues15
I've recently started a band with two old mates of mine and another drummer they both know who is really good.

Anyways I mainly wanted to do it as I was sick of staying in my bedroom playing guitar by my lonesome.
First off, I ****ing hate 3/4s of the music we play, Artic Monkey crap,Lenny Kravitz and some other shitty song,We can jam though but the only decent song we're doing is Messin' with the kid by Rory Gallagher.
Now I learned all they're ****ing songs well and put a good amount of effort into songs I dislike , But oh no did they learn what I wanted(Messing with the kid), No they ****ing didn't.
The Drummer said ''it was live recording so I couldn't make it out'' Bullshit you can hear the drums well and there are tabs, The Bassist said he forgot,The singer forgot the lyrics and the rythm guitarist didn't bother with it, Though they all promised to have it down next week.

Second off, there are five in our band,I wished it would be a trio so bad but it would cause friendships to end,I want the rhythm guitarist out and the bassist out as our singer is a brilliant bassist. I could do rhythm and lead as I do both better than rhythm guitarist anyways.

Third, The stage appearance frightens me as I am quite short as is our singer but the rhythm guitarist is well over six feet tall and towers over me and I will no doubt be mocked over this and I tend to get uncontrollably aggressive whenever my height is commented on(I'm 15 btw)
Then the absolutley ****ing dumbass theory made by our singer who has persuaded the rest of the band into this theory, We need to cover all the pop tunes in the charts so people will 'listen to us' and I need to cut down my blues playing although he said he loves hearing me play blues and it hits home but it wouldn't get us gigs, I was close to hitting him across the head with the guitar.

And the rest of the band have no ****ing durability whatsoever, After like an hour of rehearsing we need to take a break for like 30 minutes which I obviously protest as its far too much break.They are worn out and tired after 1 ****ING HOUR! They were surprised that when we finished up that I got out the acoustic and played bottleneck since we were' SO TIRED MAAAN'

Please give me advice before I lose my temper and sorry if its a bit of a read I'm just quite mad now.

You sound like you're in completely the wrong band, ditch them and find other blues musicians.

But they'll probably get more gigs than you.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Quote by IrishBlues15

Okay, first off, Arctic Monkeys are bloody huge, they and Lenny Kravitz have recorded some iconic music that audiences will want to hear, a standard Blues piece will clear the room in a lot of cases, sad but true.

Quote by IrishBlues15

You sound extremely aggressive anyway, people are going to say things, deal with it, if you can't, you could be blacklisted from a lot of bands and a lot of venues before you're even of age, not only that, if you're short and overly aggressive in a pub, taller people are going to see that as an opportunity to teach you a rather painful lesson, calm it before they do.

Quote by IrishBlues15

Yeah, a cover band that plays chart songs and popular songs will get more gigs and more money than a band playing Blues. In fact, I doubt you'd have any serious income sticking to blues and only blues, as it's a genre often reserved for jam sessions.

Quote by IrishBlues15

Why did you start playing slide guitar? It serves no purpose whatsoever, most likely isn't in your set, and, again, nowadays the very sound of a slide can effectively empty a room, especially when it's not played with utmost skill.

I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like it's time to grow up and branch out, especially as you're into blues, as a lot of serious blues bands are adults who've played it for longer than you've been alive, and, you're 15, you aren't gonna get loads of income, or get in a band that does make serious money, and you're not gonna get signed at this point in your life. Have fun, play music with your friends, and use this as an opportunity to branch out, calm down, and stop getting so frustrated over little things.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
Michele_R
860 IQ
Quote by koslack
Advice - grow the **** up. People don't always do what you want. Get over it and either quit or learn to enjoy being in a band, which requires constant compromise.

Mainly this....don't have any behaviour that offends the others/makes you seem like a kid who can't control himself and similars.

Anyway, if they're serious about pop music and are good musicians, learn enjoying it (as long as you are playing it should be fun): it can get you a lot of experience and maybe some money, also, being popular means that (if you are a good guitarist) you'll get in contact with more musicians and you'll be able to play with good ones in the future.

Also, I'd start a blues trio, but as others said, I'd try something more rock to play live (I mean...more Jimi Hendrix and less BB King) than blues, unless you can play like SRV....
Unless you are very busy you should be able to play in 2 bands.

Just my opinion of course, and sorry for any language mistake.
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Sounds like your band is a democracy, but you want a dictatorship with you in charge. They all want something different to you - leave or deal with it. For the most part I think your bandmates are correct. It's not all about you.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Pandawithapick
289 IQ
Quote by IrishBlues15

Holy Christ, I would hate to be in a band with you. So wait, the "lead guitar" player wants to play blues, but no one else is into it? Man, where have I heard that before? I don't find it that surprising that you're band mates don't want to play your song suggestions. Also, the height thing is hilarious. Get over yourself.

It sounds like everyone else isn't taking this quite as seriously, and you have some sort of superiority complex.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Just chill out.

Talk with your band. Do you have any goals? Are you a cover band or do you want to write your own songs?

Maybe they don't like the same music as you do and maybe you don't like the same music as they do - that's a bit of a problem. But you can learn to like their music if you like playing in your band. And yeah, it would be fair that everybody could suggest songs they want to play. But really, talk with your band.

If you don't enjoy playing in your band, I think you should quit and find some other musicians to play with. Playing in a band should be fun.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
IrishBlues15
133 IQ
I'm sorry but I was so mad and I'm not usually this angry.
I left.
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Take some time out to get centred, and remain open minded. If the situation in Ireland is the same as it is in England, you'll be hard pressed to find a Blues band if you're under the age of 30, let alone in your teen years. This situation has uncovered a larger problem, that you're unwilling to play other genres, or even accept that a song can be objectively good. You'll probably be asked again to pack the blues in in an original band, and in a cover band, you will be playing Arctic Monkeys and Lenny Kravitz, and in more professional outfits, the reasoning will be 'Blues doesn't sell', and you'll have to take it on the chin.

Keep in mind as you get older your tastes will change, too, at the age of 15 I loved Melodic Death Metal, now at the age of 18 I'd rather listen to a recording of Jesus Christ Superstar than Children of Bodom, and that's only three years along the line! Let this be a learning experience, you've obviously realised the error of your ways, and I wish you luck in future!
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2

MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by CelestialGuitar
or even accept that a song can be objectively good.

It can't. There's nothing objective in music or in any art. Music taste is subjective and no music is better than anything else. It's all about opinions.

But I know what you are saying. There are other genres than blues and you just need to learn to like them. It's all about yourself. I have started to appreciate all music. Even though I don't like it I still appreciate it. And if I was in a band that decided to play a song that I'm not a fan of, I would still play it because I like playing in a band. You can learn to like a song.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
RGallagherFan
UG's only Treble Booster
1,615 IQ
I've been where you are almost exactly. Bad players, long breaks, different opinions, etc.... It is not fun.

It's clear that your band isn't serious. They aren't at your level, they aren't as committed, they aren't on the same page musically.

You're years away from playing clubs and bars, so enjoy the learning process or try to find a suitable band.

There's no point getting frustrated when it's obvious the band is going nowhere. Accept that and try to have some fun, or quit and search for some similar minded people.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
It can't. There's nothing objective in music or in any art. Music taste is subjective and no music is better than anything else. It's all about opinions.

A song can be objectively well written, and therefore good in some manner. All of these pop songs that get all over the charts always have great hooks and always serve their purpose of attracting a wide audience. Well one might not like it, they are objectively good songs. As is, say Bohemian Rhapsody, and Beethoven's 9th Symphony. You can dislike them, but they're incredibly well thought out, well written and well performed.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2

MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by CelestialGuitar
A song can be objectively well written, and therefore good in some manner. All of these pop songs that get all over the charts always have great hooks and always serve their purpose of attracting a wide audience. Well one might not like it, they are objectively good songs. As is, say Bohemian Rhapsody, and Beethoven's 9th Symphony. You can dislike them, but they're incredibly well thought out, well written and well performed.

OK, if that's what you mean by a good song, I agree.

I thought you were saying more like "metal is better than pop and pop artists have no talent" or something stupid like that (because that's what I hear a lot).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OK, if that's what you mean by a good song, I agree.

I thought you were saying more like "metal is better than pop and pop artists have no talent" or something stupid like that (because that's what I hear a lot).

Oh, god, no. I play in a Symphonic Metal band, and I wish I would have written a song like Baby or We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, the songwriters behind pop artists are absolute geniuses. It does shock me that some people who call themselves musicians look down on people with ten times the talent and a hundred times the money as them.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2

Andalus
Bànned
617 IQ
Bloody hell, you get pissy about height? You're still a kid and have ages to grow taller.

I on the other hand am a fully grown man but a mere 5'7, I'm 8 inches shorter than our 6'3 rhythm guitarist and 6 inches shorter than our 6'1 bassist. They take the piss but it's all in good nature. I care little.

Answer to your problem? Grow up (no pun intended).
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by Andalus
Bloody hell, you get pissy about height? You're still a kid and have ages to grow taller.

I on the other hand am a fully grown man but a mere 5'7, I'm 8 inches shorter than our 6'3 rhythm guitarist and 6 inches shorter than our 6'1 bassist. They take the piss but it's all in good nature. I care little.

Answer to your problem? Grow up (no pun intended).

2" shorter than the average? Nothing really notable. Try 5'3 and playing bass. If I got £1 every time I heard some variation of the "derp your guitar is bigger than you" remark I'd probably have about a fiver for every gig I ever played.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
vanitybinge
Vanity Binge
716 IQ
A lot of bad advice in this thread.

Dude about your height, don't worry about it. If anyone talks about it after the show, it means they remembered your band and if you're 15, you're prob playing 15 minute sets at the gym with ten other bands so if your band is remembered at all it's a bonus.

Don't just quit. Don't quit until you have a better band to join. If you listen to these wingnuts and quit your band now just because of your ego you might not join another band for three years. I was in a band when I was 18 that made me the lead singer, they were all older and taller than me and more talented and experienced, and they could get gigs. I wasn't super crazy about the music but one night I quit after the drummer had a fit, and what did that do for my career? Nothing. I lost out on all that exposure and experience as a frontman because I let my ego walk me out the door.

Stay with this group of idiots, put up with their shit. Learn these disposable pop songs that will (believe it or not) make you a better player and remember that every little thing that pisess you off about this band will teach you something useful later on. Don't ditch them, use them to learn.

The best reason to stick it out is that once you start gigging, you'll meet other musicians and then you'll have the chance to (VERY selectively) jam and play with other bands that you meet at shows. You want to be the guy they say "I saw him play yea I wanna jam with him" and not "that kid from the crowd who bugged me after the show"
123Deryck
I like lamp
10 IQ
Im sorry to say this... But, what you need is a new amp