I've been playing for three years now, mostly Oasis, Blur and The Smiths and I still don't know how to play scales because I don't know where to even start.

If learning scales is based on the key of a song you would like to play, then that would be Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix.
Little Wing is in Eb Minor. I'd say the basic scales to start off are: Pentatonic Minor, Blues Minor, Major, Minor. That's usually a good starting point.

Edit: Screwed up. Fixed it above. Hendrix usually tunes a half step down, so it's played like an E minor scale but since he tunes down, it's technically Eb minor.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jul 15, 2013,
Forget scales man, you should focus on modes. Modes are where its at.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Alot of Oasis & Blur stuff is just major and minor scales in the key of the song. The best place to start is with the basic major and minor scale which i'm sure you can find on here or Google. When you feel comfortable with these then i'd recommend starting with the 7 modes is it will give you a deeper insight into a majority of music that you'd want to learn on guitar.
Quote by herbertjablonsk
why modes?
Fairly sure he was joking.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Hydra is right. Only thing I find modes are worth doing is to give a framework to experiment with melodies.
Quote by Hydra150
chromatic, minor pentatonic, major, minor

for more information; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Yep. Explore this forum some.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown