Page 2 of 2
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
172 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
Ask ian

Don't do that. He suggests stupid shit like Holdsworth and Coleman. Hardly the most suitable introduction to the idiom.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
jrcsgtpeppers
Tab Contributor
171 IQ
listen to count basie, freddie green, jo jones, and lester young's band... its like the TRAM of today, best super group ever.
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
100 IQ
Like every genre I've gone through, the majority is pretty dull for me.

Love Bill Evans though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
As I'm getting into modes and stuff a lot more I'm getting more and more interested in Jazz and it's difficult to know where to start, as I'm a guitarist I'm listening to Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt at the moment. I do like it, I don't love it yet.

I'm so used to hooks and lyrics that it's hard to find the same enjoyment out of it, but I listen to lots of electronic music and trip hop so I think I have a head start. It's definitely an acquired taste and I think I'm getting more acquired by the day.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
172 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
As I'm getting into modes and stuff a lot more I'm getting more and more interested in Jazz and it's difficult to know where to start, as I'm a guitarist I'm listening to Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt at the moment. I do like it, I don't love it yet.

I'm so used to hooks and lyrics that it's hard to find the same enjoyment out of it, but I listen to lots of electronic music and trip hop so I think I have a head start. It's definitely an acquired taste and I think I'm getting more acquired by the day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jazz can have hooks and lyrics and stuff.
And be careful about using the 'm' word.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
^^ Yea I know, I'm just listening to instrumental stuff so it's less likely to have conventional hooks and stuff.

Modes? Why? Because jazz is meant to be free from the static conventions of theory? Give me a heads up.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
172 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil

Modes? Why? Because jazz is meant to be free from the static conventions of theory? Give me a heads up.

Just because the theory nerds on this site will hunt you down and forcibly re-educate you if you use the m word too much.
Not much jazz is modal. Be careful about mixing the idea of CST with acutal 'modal' music.

edit: Also, I find that when you're listening to/learning standards it really helps to have listened to some vocal versions and know the lyrics. Makes it more memorable/interesting.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 17, 2013,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Ok that makes sense thanks.

So you mean, they use chords tones and arpeggio shapes as a lot more than anything else?
loose bowels
You left me...
10 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
edit: Also, I find that when you're listening to/learning standards it really helps to have listened to some vocal versions and know the lyrics. Makes it more memorable/interesting.

This, especially Ella Fitzgerald's versions.
OUT OF ORDER
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
836 IQ
Quote by theguitarist
Like every genre I've gone through, the majority is pretty dull for me.

Love Bill Evans though.

obviously bill is great and everyone has their own taste, but I find it interesting you found bill evans the least "dull."
#DTWD
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
100 IQ
Quote by primusfan
obviously bill is great and everyone has their own taste, but I find it interesting you found bill evans the least "dull."

well on paper I should find him dull too but I don't for some reason. when it comes to traditional groups I only seem to like select piano-led triads. the 'dull' impression came from taking a day on youtube and going through a really long list of recommendations and not really getting much out of it. only really covered the major genres though, there are a few sub genres I wrote down somewhere I still want to browse through.

a lot of stuff I currently listen to that I lump as 'jazz' in my library probably wouldn't pass as such to a purist though. like, the latest jizue album that I'm liking is apparently 'nu-jazz/post-rock' when I just lumped it as 'jazz' in my head as keeping tabs on all these sub genres is tedious. I thought metal was bad about this, lol.

edit: hm I've only gone through about half of this list: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119290 , so maybe I should shut up.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
836 IQ
man, if you only really like piano trios, I highly recommend the ray brown trio when he was playing with gene harris. check out bam bam bam and bassics: the best of the ray brown trio.
#DTWD
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...
40 IQ
Quote by theguitarist

edit: hm I've only gone through about half of this list: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119290 , so maybe I should shut up.

>Jazz list
> doesn't have any Sax players.
> wut

I'm also going to post videos because everyone got to. Here's what I've been listening to lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7J4PgrRsY

Different version of the same song, recorded much later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZDRXj9BWU

and a solo I transcribed yesterday. It takes a while to get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YIiraGQ3c

EDIT: Youtube, Y U NO WORK
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
Don't do that. He suggests stupid shit like Holdsworth and Coleman. Hardly the most suitable introduction to the idiom.
I can understand the Holdsworth hate but how can you hate Ornette Coleman?

And Holdsworth I think is a great introductory artist as he's good for the average metalhead shredfag kid who can't decipher anything else but distorted guitar based music.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
172 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

And Holdsworth I think is a great introductory artist as he's good for the average metalhead shredfag kid who can't decipher anything else but distorted guitar based music.

I didn't say I hated them, I said they were not the place to start with jazz. That's like a kid starting to learn maths by opening up Principia Mathematica.

also, your 'average metalhead shredfag kid' remark make me want to go out and punch a kitten
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Neither would give a good look at what Jazz is to a new person. You might as well be saying to listen to The Shining and Shawn Lane to get into Jazz.
BladeSlinger
nerd
120 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

You've been so normal recently. Don't do this, Ian.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
170 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil

That's because you think it has something to do with modes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...
40 IQ
Quote by Hydra150

Sorry, I only looked at the list in the first post.

I also thought Ian was joking when he recommended Holdsworth and Ornette Coleman as introductory jazz. If the first thing I heard was Ornette Coleman playing free jazz I would have stayed away for years.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
172 IQ
Quote by Duaneclapdrix

I also thought Ian was joking when he recommended Holdsworth and Ornette Coleman as introductory jazz. If the first thing I heard was Ornette Coleman playing free jazz I would have stayed away for years.

I like to think that Ian is always joking. It's that thought that has kept me sane.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's because you think it has something to do with modes.

Me wanting to get into jazz but being a bit intimidated by the size of the genre has something to do with modes? They're two separate issues. I made two statements, wanting to play jazz and listen to it are completely different things.

But thanks anyway .
BladeSlinger
nerd
120 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Me wanting to get into jazz but being a bit intimidated by the size of the genre has something to do with modes? They're two separate issues. I made two statements, wanting to play jazz and listen to it are completely different things.

But thanks anyway .

Why did you even mention modes and Jazz if you aren't connecting them?

I wish everyone would stop bring up modes.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
100 IQ
Quote by primusfan
man, if you only really like piano trios, I highly recommend the ray brown trio when he was playing with gene harris. check out bam bam bam and bassics: the best of the ray brown trio.

just checked it out. ta.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by BladeSlinger
Why did you even mention modes and Jazz if you aren't connecting them?

I wish everyone would stop bring up modes.

Come on, I made two obvious statements.

1) Playing jazz in modes. Not as much as I thought, I was corrected.

2) Getting into Jazz artists in general, to listen to has nothing to do with modes or theory.

This was sorted out by Hydra already, let's move on shall we.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
170 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Come on, I made two obvious statements.

1) Playing jazz in modes. Not as much as I thought, I was corrected.

2) Getting into Jazz artists in general, to listen to has nothing to do with modes or theory.

This was sorted out by Hydra already, let's move on shall we.

They're not as separated as you may be thinking. After all, how can you play it if you haven't even grasped the listening part?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
You don't need to know anything about theory at all to listen to music.

First, I want to listen to it. Anything else will come later. I just made a link to my current level of playing. They are very separate entities.
Page 2 of 2