tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
Got a Crate V33 pretty cheap because it had good cleans and figured I could turn a profit regardless. Anyway, it has a problem on the distortion channel. I rarely use it, so I hadn't noticed it until recently, but I can't sell it until it is resolved. The distortion channel has a gain knob and a level knob that function in the standard way. However, the level knob does not work correctly. It might as well be a 3-way switch. Starting fully counter-clockwise, the amp is virtually silent (It becomes audible with the gain cranked). At about 8:00, there is a small jump in volume, to about tv-level. Then the volume stays exactly the same all the way until about 4:00. At that point, the volume jumps to ear-deafening levels, and stays the same volume the rest of the way.

I tried changing preamp tubes, made no difference. Didn't know where to go after that.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Does the knob feel funny when you turn it? Might be a bad pot.

Any other details?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
It feels perfectly fine when I turn the knob. I really don't know what else to say about it. Nothing else about the amp seems off.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Almost certainly a bad pot. I've got a V33 sitting in my guitar room and it works as one would expect.

Well, almost, it got loud far too fast so I changed out V1 for a 12au7 which moderated it significantly. It's far more usable across the range now.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
Yep, pretty sure you're right. Time to take it apart.