What are some websites minus fb twitter etc my band needs? And do you have any tips for promotion in a new city for a first gig? Like can i put up flyers, get it in the newspaper etc
I like Reverbnation as well.

For a first gig join a gig of other local bands and let them organise and do the promoting. Newpaper article at this point would be of no use.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Okay cool I have heard of bands getting blacklisted by promoters for not bringing anyone?!
And any other sites?
Reverbnation is good, yeah. Last.fm too, that can be pretty useful. Get the band a gmail account too if you don't already have one.

As for the twitter, use it to interact with the fans that follow you. Give them updates on shows, or if you're recording. Throw them a pic of practice or recording every now and then.
Quote by hahaha15
Okay cool I have heard of bands getting blacklisted by promoters for not bringing anyone?!

Depends where you play. Be realistic about your draw and aim for promoters/venues appropriate to that draw.

Just to address this incoming issue, facebook likes is not your draw. Your draw is how many people actually come to your gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud