Really been needing a bass to solidify my guitar recordings. What would be the best bass to get for non-serious, fairly fun, home-based purposes? Under £200? One of the Squires? I'll look second hand, of course, because I know great deals can come up.
squier vm, ibanez gsr, lower end peaveys and perhaps the yamaha rbx basses 170/270/ maybe a used 374
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Peavey Millennium BXP, Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe. I don't have any complaints about the the Yamaha RBX series. In my opinion Ibanez can be a hit or miss with their low end gear so make sure you give it a thorough look-over if you go to buy one. Really anything will do if you like the feel and sound of it.
I found one of these hanging on a wall for around $100 used with gig bag. Not a mark on it. Very nice little P&J type bass. The pirate-themed skull and crossbones are silly, but I handed it to a friend who was playing metal with friends and he said they were very impressed. Go figure.

Fender Squier MB-4 Skul & Crossbonesl bass. ARRRRRRRR, Maitey!

Marketing Fluff:

Sounds as mean as it looks with bone-crushing bass.

The Squier MB-4 Skull and Crossbones Electric Bass Guitar will give you endless tonal variations. The single-coil P Bass pickup up front and single-coil J Bass pickup at the bridge have a continuous pan pot between them to crank out growling, grinding, howling tone. Deep double-cutaways and 22 medium-jumbo frets let you soar free on high-note solos. Piratical graphics adorn the body and are inlaid at the 12th fret. Amazing quality for the price, with agathis sleek-contoured body, C-shape maple neck with 12"-radius rosewood fretboard, and die-cast mini-tuners. Black metallic finish.
Features

* Agathis body
* C-shaped maple neck
* P Bass split single coil
* J Bass single coil
* Pickup pan pot
* Skull and crossbones graphic on body
* Skull and crossbones inlay at the 12th fret

For seriously scary bass at a reassuring price, this is your axe. Do it!
Quote by dspellman
I found one of these hanging on a wall for around $100 used with gig bag. Not a mark on it. Very nice little P&J type bass. The pirate-themed skull and crossbones are silly, but I handed it to a friend who was playing metal with friends and he said they were very impressed. Go figure.

Fender Squier MB-4 Skul & Crossbonesl bass. ARRRRRRRR, Maitey!

Couldn't agree more.
Dean makes a good bass. They tend to be very under rated so you can usually find one for a good price.