Page 2 of 2
Quote by matthewzguitarz
The band leader replied to my idea saying that we do not need drums so I guess I am done with that idea.

I hope someone else can keep time. It sounds like you have a bunch of new-ish musicians. It's gonna suck if there isn't someone pounding something rhythmic. (The bass guitar isn't purely rhythmic, so that doesn't count.) I'm not trying to be overly critical of the guy, but there's a reason even bands that are super technical have a drummer.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I hope someone else can keep time. It sounds like you have a bunch of new-ish musicians. It's gonna suck if there isn't someone pounding something rhythmic. (The bass guitar isn't purely rhythmic, so that doesn't count.) I'm not trying to be overly critical of the guy, but there's a reason even bands that are super technical have a drummer.

I think the main problem is because the youth group told us that we can't use drums, and that most worship bands are just a singer and a guitarist. So, I am guessing the band leader really thinks she meant no drums at all, when I am pretty sure that with just the program thing, I could put them on discs and use them in the background, so those would be easy to store and transport.

I am not sure about the band leader, but my brother is a horrible guitarist, so I hope they don't ask him to play, he is also a bad singer to be honest, he either sings way to fast, or way too high, in an attempt to make it sound exactly like the original song. The other guitarist has only been playing for 1-2 years, maybe less, because I remember he wanted to attend a class for musicians, but his mom said no because he had just started. The pianist, I am also unsure about, I actually haven't heard him play. Then there is me, and I just say I suck because everyone else says I am good, and if I think I am good, then I will stop practicing(reason I lost motivation for violin, was my teacher keeps telling me I am really good).

But, if we get that girl singer, I really really really hope that they make her lead singer, because like, she is amazing.
Quote by matthewzguitarz
I think the main problem is because the youth group told us that we can't use drums, and that most worship bands are just a singer and a guitarist. So, I am guessing the band leader really thinks she meant no drums at all, when I am pretty sure that with just the program thing, I could put them on discs and use them in the background, so those would be easy to store and transport.

I am not sure about the band leader, but my brother is a horrible guitarist, so I hope they don't ask him to play, he is also a bad singer to be honest, he either sings way to fast, or way too high, in an attempt to make it sound exactly like the original song. The other guitarist has only been playing for 1-2 years, maybe less, because I remember he wanted to attend a class for musicians, but his mom said no because he had just started. The pianist, I am also unsure about, I actually haven't heard him play. Then there is me, and I just say I suck because everyone else says I am good, and if I think I am good, then I will stop practicing(reason I lost motivation for violin, was my teacher keeps telling me I am really good).

But, if we get that girl singer, I really really really hope that they make her lead singer, because like, she is amazing.
Hopefully, God will get the message, no matter how bad you guys screw it up.....
Wow, what a mess (the band and this thread).

It's painfully obvious you need someone else to be the band leader/organizer. Sure, bands can be somewhat disorganized, but this is on another level completely.

Amidst all this confusion, I have a couple key questions:

1.) Can anybody actually play their instrument? You're basically saying everybody (including yourself) sucks, except the girl on vocals, and yet, you're also trying to tell us that everybody considers you some type of awesome guitar wizard? I don't know if everybody there is batshit crazy or what, but surely someone can distinguish between a beginner and a master player.

2.) Has this band actually had any type of full rehearsal? You mentioned that you can't take your guitar because it doesn't have a case (why you think that means you can't take it out of your house is beyond me), so how do you plan on rehearsing? You also mentioned your brother taking his, but you decided not to; I'd say a pretty good rule of thumb is that if other people need their instrument, you do too.

Also, I don't think it's fair to judge the drummer based solely on a rumor. Isn't it some type of sin to judge others, especially unfounded ones?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Wow, what a mess (the band and this thread).

It's painfully obvious you need someone else to be the band leader/organizer. Sure, bands can be somewhat disorganized, but this is on another level completely.

Amidst all this confusion, I have a couple key questions:

1.) Can anybody actually play their instrument? You're basically saying everybody (including yourself) sucks, except the girl on vocals, and yet, you're also trying to tell us that everybody considers you some type of awesome guitar wizard? I don't know if everybody there is batshit crazy or what, but surely someone can distinguish between a beginner and a master player.

2.) Has this band actually had any type of full rehearsal? You mentioned that you can't take your guitar because it doesn't have a case (why you think that means you can't take it out of your house is beyond me), so how do you plan on rehearsing? You also mentioned your brother taking his, but you decided not to; I'd say a pretty good rule of thumb is that if other people need their instrument, you do too.

Also, I don't think it's fair to judge the drummer based solely on a rumor. Isn't it some type of sin to judge others, especially unfounded ones?

Yes people can play their instrument, I just call myself a beginner because it motivates me to practice. The only person I know who actually sucks at guitar, is my brother, and his singing isn't so good.

We have not had any rehearsal yet. The band leader is having a hard time finding a day, time, and place for us to practice, mostly because at least 2 members are in football, the pianist has to go straight home after school, and everyone goes to a different school, kind of. Me and my brother are homeschooled, the band leader and other guitarist go to a public school, and the pianist goes to a church school. But it sounds like we are going practice on Saturdays.

I was mostly worried about taking my guitar because I had no case and didn't want to have to leave it out in the open since the youth group did other things, so I didn't want it to get damaged. But, I am going to look for the gig bag which came with the guitar, and get my amp stuff together(need to find my pedal for a song that I want to ask about, since it uses distortion after the first verse).
Quote by matthewzguitarz
I think the main problem is because the youth group told us that we can't use drums, and that most worship bands are just a singer and a guitarist.

But they're not. Most worship groups have at least something "drum-like". Whether that means there's someone banging on a couple of old bongos or a full drum set...there's still always someone in a worship band who holds down the rhythm. Even orchestras have conductors to count out the rhythm. Listen to the majority of worship songs; they all have some form of percussion (even if they turn it way down in the mix). If a worship song is recorded with absolutely zero percussion in the mix, then there was most likely a click track.

All I have to say is: either this project is going to be a complete failure (mostly due to lack of direction/leadership and lack of band cohesion), or your band leader is actually going to lead and communicate with people.
You could always get a drummer with a drum box? If it needs to be quiet and acoustic like. That way drums won't even drown out the acoustics or the voices.

(And you keep saying everyone sucks and has bad voices and whatnot. I've fallen into that too. BUT. We shouldn't judge. The main point of a worship band is to worship. Try worshiping with your attitude as well. If their heart's in the right place and they're able to play their instrument well enough and the singers can carry a tune it should work decent. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just good and for God. Who knows? Maybe you'll all grow as a band anyways.)

Not trying to judge you. But gossip helps no one. I've done it myself. But I hope this band works.
Quote by GraceByDeath
You could always get a drummer with a drum box? If it needs to be quiet and acoustic like. That way drums won't even drown out the acoustics or the voices.

(And you keep saying everyone sucks and has bad voices and whatnot. I've fallen into that too. BUT. We shouldn't judge. The main point of a worship band is to worship. Try worshiping with your attitude as well. If their heart's in the right place and they're able to play their instrument well enough and the singers can carry a tune it should work decent. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just good and for God. Who knows? Maybe you'll all grow as a band anyways.)

Not trying to judge you. But gossip helps no one. I've done it myself. But I hope this band works.

Hmm.. will look into something like that.

Didn't realize I was judging people O_O Guess I should be more careful about that. Since I thought this would actually be a good way to see if I really want to go with music for a career, or not.

I think the main thing with the drummer, is that the youth group already has problems, like the music director guy for the church is constantly saying bad stuff about the youth group(he lives on the church property), then a few weeks ago, my friend brought a knife to the youth group, and other stuff happened involving him.

Guess they don't want anymore negative attention or something, because the youth group has already gone from 15-20 people, to about 10. Then I guess people also think of a drum set.

Thinking about emailing the band leader about finding an alternative to a drum set.
Quote by matthewzguitarz
Thinking about emailing the band leader about finding an alternative to a drum set.

Maybe you should call him or talk to him in person? The problem with email (as with all purely text-based communication) is that it's very easy for people to misinterpret what you mean, because they can't hear the tone of voice, inflection, etc. If you're trying to convince someone of something (in this case, to allow an alternative to a drum set), then it might help if they can hear your voice. In person is best. But a phone call is 2nd best.
About the drums... I would suggest a cajon drum.

They are usually used in acoustic bands. And yeah, I agree with everybody, you need a drummer in a band (of course depending on the music you are going to play but I assume you are going to play some pop/rock or something).

And I don't think the skill level of other musicians really matters. I held a "band course" for some kids where we played together in a band. The kids didn't really know how to play any instruments but I showed them and they learned to play. And I'm not that great at showing how to play an instrument. I'm sure if your band leader is good, he can make you play pretty well. The band course made me realize that it's really not that hard to play in a band, even if you hardly can play the instrument. Sometimes we even sounded decent. (We played some pretty simple classic rock/pop songs like "Smoke on the Water", "Wicked Game" and "Mama I'm Coming Home".) And you can always arrange the songs so that they are easier to play. They don't need to sound similar to the original band.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Well, then I will wait for Saturday because I don't have his phone number, and I hate talking on the phone(can never understand what the people are saying).
Quote by nemjeff13
1. Play the right chords
2. Play in the right time
3. Play leads in the right key
4. Don't **** up
5. Have fun! If you mess up just hop back in, noone notices small mistakes...bands are a great time and even better with good singers

Do you have someone to keep the beat? percussionist or drum track? that'd be my only concern

Amen!
Last edited by alecz93 at Aug 20, 2013,
When I played in a church we didnt have a drummer (well, apart from when the minister tried his hand at it, with unimpressive results).
Wasn't a problem, as long as someone on acoustic guitar can keep time and play confidently everything's good.
Although a few jams/joint services where we had a good drummer showed how much better the music can be with good percussion (so imo either do the drums well or don't do them at all).
Definitely wouldn't use programmed/recorded drums, not least because it would limit a style of music which should be free and organic in structure and even tempo.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Aug 20, 2013,
Quote by Hydra150
When I played in a church we didnt have a drummer (well, apart from when the minister tried his hand at it, with unimpressive results).
Wasn't a problem, as long as someone on acoustic guitar can keep time and play confidently everything's good.
Although a few jams/joint services where we had a good drummer showed how much better the music can be with good percussion (so imo either do the drums well or don't do them at all).
Definitely wouldn't use programmed/recorded drums, not least because it would limit a style of music which should be free and organic in structure and even tempo.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully we could get away with no drums, and I thought about it, I only have like $50, and 10 or 20 of that is going to music for myself(superchink albums).
If you have $100 to 200$ there are quite a lot of options from Guitar Center. Even if you and whoever you find to play drummer would want to put money together into buying it for the drummer it's not all that much to save up for. Keeping time is important stuff.

Might want to try out the acoustic set first a few times and see if a box will be needed.
Can't just throw money at a band and hope it rocks afterwards.
Guess We are going to hope that the bass can keep time, my brother was talking about getting marching drums, but, I am going to be careful with this. Since my parents pointed out that the youth group might just die out as the person who runs it is going to college and might not be able to come back on weekends like she is saying she can(I know I won't be able to run it if she can't).

So, going to just go with how it is I guess, and make sure I guard my amp since the other guitarist and band leader sound like they don't know how to take care of them. I knew that the leader tried plugging his bass into my brother's mini amp, but didn't know the guitarist tried plugging his guitar into the karaoke machine we are using for vocalists, so, really don't want to have my amp get destroyed by them.
Quote by GraceByDeath
Just pray for the band and the youth group aswell. I hope it works out.

Yeah.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

This isn't that surprising.

A lot of times, people who don't play an instrument will be under the impression that someone who can is a lot better than they really are.

I'm an average player, but non-musicians who hear me play keep telling me I'm amazing. I know I'm not that good, but it's difficult to convince them how good I'm not. They think I'm just being modest.

Trust me, I WISH it was just me being modest. I have no illusions of my limitations as a guitarist.
^^^ Alternatively if you play with people of a similar level you can get a "distorted" view of how good you actually are. Schools would be a good example of this, I vaguely recall in my first high school that there was a guy who was the "guitar god" guy, praised by all for his skills. Mine weren't recognised I guess because I wasn't "cool" enough.

However I cannot find any evidence that he played after high school. I was kinda hoping to catch him on the local scene but nope, just disappeared.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Alternatively if you play with people of a similar level you can get a "distorted" view of how good you actually are. Schools would be a good example of this, I vaguely recall in my first high school that there was a guy who was the "guitar god" guy, praised by all for his skills. Mine weren't recognised I guess because I wasn't "cool" enough.

However I cannot find any evidence that he played after high school. I was kinda hoping to catch him on the local scene but nope, just disappeared.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing myself here. I've played for 18 years, and my skill level is about what you'd expect for someone who has played that long but never practiced enough.

I've played for long enough that I know what I'm good at and I'm aware of what I'm not good at. The list of what I'm not good at is much longer than the list of what I am good at.

You want me to improvise a metal rhythm riff? You got it.
You want me to sit in on lead guitar with a jazz combo? Not happening. At least not in such a way that won't be embarrassing to me.

OP: As long as you can play your chord progressions cleanly and do simple melodies well, you shouldn't have any issue playing in a worship band. I don't recall having ever heard one that played music that was complex enough to require virtuoso musicians.
^^^^ Oh I didn't intend to bash you. Just support your view and added an observation.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Page 2 of 2