sennagalous
109 IQ
Hey guy's, I'm having trouble getting rid of some squeaky highs in a track and wanted to see what kind of advice you could offer.
So far I have tried isolating the frequency 32k maybe? (Not currently at the studio)
On the monitors it sounds fine but on my laptop which is mostly high end the squeak is incredibly present. Any advice on the squeak or general feedback on the recording quality would be greatly appreciated.
[forbidden link] (The squeak starts around 3:20)
sennagalous
109 IQ
Oh no! How do I post a link to sound cloud? I didn't read anything against that in the rules.
Well if you go to facebook.com/shadowtagsc it's the song called echoes.
Last edited by sennagalous at Aug 19, 2013,
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
There isn't anything against it, you get forbidden link if you havent posted much usually to help deal with spambots
sennagalous
109 IQ
haha Sorry for some reason i see 32k in my head, again I'm not currently at the studio... Do you have any advice for taming down the squeaks?
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
580 IQ
Quote by sennagalous
haha Sorry for some reason i see 32k in my head, again I'm not currently at the studio... Do you have any advice for taming down the squeaks?

My gear is packed up right now so I can't listen to your link but I can offer advice.

To find a trouble spot in the treble, grab your favorite parametric eq plugin (whatever comes with your DAW will be sufficient). Set a band to a narrow bandwith and a boost of about 6 to 9 dB. Sweep through the higher frequencies from 1kHz and above slowly with your mouse. You should hear a weird effect like whistling wind blowing through a neighborhood. As you sweep through, the trouble spot will jump out at you. If there's a problem with a specific frequency ringing out, you'll hear it as you pass by. Stop the band on that specific frequency, and instead do a cut of 4-12 dB as necessary (keeping a narrow bandwidth.

This is important for when you have distorted guitars, especially if you use amp simulators. Now that you know how to find this, you can keep listening for it. Eventually you'll be able to hear it without using the eq plugin trick- that'll make mixing a lot faster and cleaner in the future. Don't be afraid to widen the bandwith on the cut if frequencies around the problem area are too pronounced as well. The revers is also true; use a narrower eq bandwidth if you need to.

BTW- a lot of amp sims and heavily distorted guitars have a weird whistle around 4 kHz. That's a good place to start looking for problem areas.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
sennagalous
109 IQ
Thanks man, you rock! We do use amp simulators, so next time I get to the studio I'll try that. I was isolating the offending frequency but it came back when i listened through my laptop. Is it possible that the squeak will be audible on certain speakers no matter what? And its in a part with distortion and trem picking, sounds almost like pick screech but I use wooden picks so I don't think that the pick could be the culprit.