Page 2 of 2
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
Well, like i said before, if there are rockstars that can play almost flawlessly with it low (and A LOT do. Let's be honest, more then 50% of the people that play guitar professionally play it lower than higher), then it's definitely possible. If anybody was ever to say they just look like posers and weren't cool because of how they have their guitar, i'd put all my money on that being a lie for some reason or another. I know it all comes down to opinions, but there is definitely a general consensus that lower guitars look better than higher guitars. Not that i've ever pointed out how people wear their guitars, or ever been drawn into a conversation about it (other than now), so i guess it isn't actually a bit deal at all.

I would say that's besides the point because i'm going to practice with it higher than i'd like it to start of with anyway, but frankly this conversation seems to have turned into a "Are low slung guitars cool?", so it's actually right on point :P
I'm not insane, i'm not insane.
sjones
UG's Analrapist
2,068 IQ
Just do what feels natural and most comfortable to you. You'll find that wearing your guitar too low can inhibit your technique and ability to play certain chords and phrases.

I personally like my guitar at a height that is comfortable for my playing style and allows me to do everything on the guitar that I need to do while performing.

I guess what's "cool" to me is being able to play my instrument proficiently.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
ryan.bollinger.
126 IQ
you think Slash first picked up a guitar and played it low-slung, probably not. gotta crawl before you can walk. practice makes perfect? no, it doesn't...practicing the RIGHT thing makes perfect. keep playing with your wrist hurting and you'll get carpal tunnel in no time!
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
Hmm, that's actually a rather good point Ryan. I was actually planning on ignoring the pain because i'm starting to get better at the playing already, but the carpel tunnel thing probably wouldn't be great.
ryan.bollinger.
126 IQ
indeed, indeed, too much pressure on that median nerve and you wont be able to play any more (((((
The Dimery
346 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong
Well, like i said before, if there are rockstars that can play almost flawlessly with it low (and A LOT do. Let's be honest, more then 50% of the people that play guitar professionally play it lower than higher)

Haha you are such a f***in' tool, is that poll according to Gallop?
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
Thanks for being incredibly rude, that's a tremendous help!

It's according to observation. The amount of famous musicians i know to play their guitar with it on their chest i can count on two hands. The amount of famous musicians i know to play their guitar low.. Well, i can't even count that high.

But, really, if you have nothing intelligent or useful in any way to add to this conversation or thread, please keep your comments to yourself.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
My friend and I were having a similar discussion the other day while we were playing, funny enough, so here's what I have to say:

Playing the guitar in a position that feels the most comfortable to you while standing will be the best position you can play in, and that is usually in a higher elevation near your chest at an angle. Playing the guitar at your lower stomach will cause more stress on your wrist, limit what you are capable of playing on the guitar, and will be harder to keep track of where you are on the guitar.

Every thing that I stated is a fact, however, certain types of music do not require guitars to be played in efficient positions, therefore, you can get away with playing at a lower height. Classic Rock and older Heavy Metal bands are a good example of this, as is most mainstream Rock and Country acts. More extreme forms of Metal, technical forms of Rock, Country, recent derivatives of Hardcore, and Jazz music must be played at a reasonable or high position.

So, if you're wanting to play Nirvana, AC/DC, KISS, Judas Priest, Alan Jackson, or what have you, then go ahead and wear the guitar below your belly button, but if you're playing the types of music I mentioned in the later part of that paragraph, it will be highly impractical, if not impossible.

My suggestion would be to start at a reasonable position and get used to it then gradually lower it.
Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
The only reason people play it low is to look cool, simple as that, any pro will admit that it's harder, but, looks are what get people contracts (in the beginning, at least). Take the advice of Billy Sheehan, he sits down, finds the most comfortable position, then adjusts his straps so that his bass hangs in that exact position while standing. If you'd rather play better than look cool (and to be honest, it really doesn't look cool...at all) follow the advice of someone like that.

Since bassists don't get in the spotline or give a **** about looking "cool", you can look at just about ANY good bassist and see them doing the same. It's the same story for acoustic players.

If you wanna jump around, show off, put on a show and showboat, lower is best for all that shit, but your playing will suffer, simple as that. You CAN get used to it, but it's still not worth "getting used" to an improper position.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Aug 29, 2013,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Billy Sheehan doesn't look cool
I'm guessing he doesn't showboat or jump around either...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXT4i7NkNA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVsXT4i7NkNA
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
Hey, I find that position to be cool, but for some reason other people don't...
Facecut
Vorsitzender
322 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
More extreme forms of Metal, technical forms of Rock, Country, recent derivatives of Hardcore, and Jazz music must be played at a reasonable or high position.

What is reasonable is taste. There are examples of players that play on a decent technical level with fairly low guitars. Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, Alexi Laiho, Jari Mäenpää, Satchel and Zakk Wylde come to mind. There are people that think Herman Lee plays well but I will use his name in the same sentence as the others.
I agree that it is not optimal for playing that stuff but it's not impossible.
Last edited by Facecut at Aug 30, 2013,
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Facecut
What is reasonable is taste. There are examples of players that play on a decent technical level with fairly low guitars. Paul Gilbert, Michael Romeo, Alexi Laiho, Jari Mäenpää, Satchel and Zakk Wylde come to mind. There are people that think Herman Lee plays well but I will use his name in the same sentence as the others.

All those guys play their guitar at a reasonable height. I thought TS wanted to play with it as low as his crotch or something. I will say, however, that I don't find soloing a good example of being able to play complex things. Soloing with a lower slung guitar is much easier than play extended riff sections with a low slung guitar, and most of those guys don't play songs that have demanding riffs and moreso demanding solos.
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
Just so you get an idea, here's a few pictures that show where i wear it and what position it puts my wrist in.

How i 'like' it. Was actually lower before i started this thread. I guess it made me realise that maybe i wasn't being sensible or realistic. In my opinion, this position isn't stupidly/impossibly(to play well) low.

Here is how i would have to have it for my wrist to be perfectly straight when playing bar chords.

Either way i can comfortably play solos at either end of the neck (seeing as i can play them in baseball position), but it's the bar chords that i'm having trouble with.
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
2,974 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong
Either way i can comfortably play solos at either end of the neck (seeing as i can play them in baseball position), but it's the bar chords that i'm having trouble with.

Perhaps you just suck at barre chords? And perhaps it took nearly 3 pages of responses from about 20 people to establish this simple problem? If you can't play them sitting, you can't play them standing. BAM. I WON THE THREAD.
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
But i can play bar chords sitting down and we've already established that you're a dick with no useful information for me.

And i CAN play them standing up, just not as well as i can sitting down, or with the guitar up on my chest.
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
2,974 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong
But i can play bar chords sitting down and we've already established that you're a dick with no useful information for me.

I almost want to sig this.. I'm so close to putting this in my sig.
Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
Quote by Facecut

I'd like to point out that these guys will also put a knee on a speaker, or in the case of Alexi, get in a weird squatting position and set the guitar on his knee. They tend to do this when things get technical. Can they play low? Yes, but even THEY have trouble with it.
J_W
65 IQ
That's not even low, that is about normal. The second set of pics with the guitar up high is just ridiculous. Nobody plays like that. lol
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter
281 IQ
Quote by J_W
That's not even low, that is about normal. The second set of pics with the guitar up high is just ridiculous. Nobody plays like that. lol

Not unless you're 50% of the people in this thread. Apparently that is the only way to play a guitar well?
Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong
Not unless you're 50% of the people in this thread. Apparently that is the only way to play a guitar well?

No, playing TOO high is detrimental on your playing style as well, the first set was pretty close.
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
2,974 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong

You're very naive and ignorant. You're so set on playing low regardless of what people say. Just ****ing play low. Why are there over 60 posts here jesus penis.
Facecut
Vorsitzender
322 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
most of those guys don't play songs that have demanding riffs and moreso demanding solos.

What is demanding to you? Are you sure you are well informed?
Dreamdancer11
38 IQ
People who hang their guitars low dont even maintain that position when playing something more demanding....they either get on their knees, or use the speakers or lift the neck of the guitar like a contrabass or a combination of all the above .If you ask me its too much work for inferior results with the possibility of hand injuries to boot.If "coolness" still is more important for you then by all means...go nuts(and i mean literally hang them on your nut...level haha ).

At the end of the day though, even those who care about something like that are usually the same people who care about the gear you are using:Only the guitar nerds and not the people who actually come to listen to music.So make your decision about who you want to make happy .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Aug 30, 2013,
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Zhu Xiong
Just so you get an idea, here's a few pictures that show where i wear it and what position it puts my wrist in.

How i 'like' it. Was actually lower before i started this thread. I guess it made me realise that maybe i wasn't being sensible or realistic. In my opinion, this position isn't stupidly/impossibly(to play well) low.

Here is how i would have to have it for my wrist to be perfectly straight when playing bar chords.

The longer length seems fine. I would, personally, have it higher, but that's me. The short length looks way too high to me, but if you are still able to play with comfort then shouldn't be a problem.

For barre chords, maybe try angling the head of the guitar up slightly more? If that doesn't work, just practice barre chords while standing.

What is demanding to you? Are you sure you are well informed?

This orthis

Are what I'd call demanding.
Facecut
Vorsitzender
322 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26

This orthis

Are what I'd call demanding.

You don't know the guys I mentioned well enough then. Besides from sounding amateurish thats pretty generic metal. I could only open the first vod.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Facecut
You don't know the guys I mentioned well enough then. Besides from sounding amateurish thats pretty generic metal. I could only open the first vod.

Lol sure it is guy.
innovine
769 IQ
This thread keeps on getting better and better. More dick waving please
Velcro Man
A person
1,028 IQ
Quote by innovine
This thread keeps on getting better and better. More dick waving please

My post had a double point, I picked a video with examples of a technical band that uses proper guitar placement. It's not up by the nipples like some people try to exaggerate for whatever reason, and it's not a guitar-cod piece. Even while headbanging, the guitar remains in a decent position, and they hardly look lame or non-brutal (actually, this band is one of my favorites, partly because of the music, but also because the guys in the band are just ****ing awesome people, they try to add as many fans as possible on their personal facebook accounts and shit, and they're one of the most fan-interactive bands I've ever seen)
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Yeah this is just getting daft now.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com