OmarIsmail
21 IQ
Hey people, I am really frustrated with guitar at the moment and need some advice. So, Yesterday I was learning Green Day's Good Riddance
and was pretty good at it until the night when all of a sudden I sucked at picking. And it was the same again this morning,
my right hand muscles are strained and my picking is all over the place and I keep hitting the wrong strings. ARGGH, I"VE GOTTEN WORSE SINCE YESTERDAY!
Is this because I strained my muscles? Does that affect my picking. Since I strained my muscles should I just clear my head
and let the hand rest for a few days and come back and be better? ALSO, Is it because I stopped guitar for 6 months and came
back to it 2 days ago?

ARGGHH I'M SO FRUSTRATED, PLEASE SOME ADVICE?

Also, If I do take a break, is there any picking excercises to practice? Thanks, gosh im fed up with this :/
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
try masturbating left-handed for 3 hours straight.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Learning or even returning to an instrument is not a linear learning process. Calm down, take your time, and don't pressure yourself to learn at a particular pace.

Hell- even pros forget how to play stuff. I was watching a documentary about the events leading up to a major band's world tour. They hadn't played together for a few years- solo projects and all that- and had also hired some additional musicians to play parts that were done in the studio by recording multiple tracks.

The drummer was having fits because he kept screwing up the stuff HE made famous.

At another point, one of the hired guitarists was taliking directly to the documentary's director: he pointed out that he knew the solos to certain songs better than the guy who wrote them because he had been playing them for nearly as long (this was not his first tour with the band), and hadn't been doing much else besides covering the band's music while they were all doing side projects. He said the only reason he wasn't playing the solos on the tour was because the guy who wrote them wanted to play them...

So, if pros can forget their own stuff, you should be able to forgive yourself for not nailing it in the first few tries.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by stepchildusmc
try masturbating left-handed for 3 hours straight.
No problem here, said the left hander..... But why do I have to stop so soon?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 1, 2013,
triface
Drenched in Syrup
1,209 IQ
When you're feeling fed up, just put your guitar down and go do something else. Come back some time later. You need a break. It's never good to rage at a hobby.
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
2,886 IQ
when you're burned out, don't practice - just play something you know and find fun. play with songs, play by yourself, but play for enjoyment, not for improvement.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by triface
When you're feeling fed up, just put your guitar down and go do something else. Come back some time later. You need a break. It's never good to rage at a hobby.

Exactly. You DO NOT want to be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DbUPjEbIvA&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Dreal
68 IQ
Quote by patticake
when you're burned out, don't practice - just play something you know and find fun. play with songs, play by yourself, but play for enjoyment, not for improvement.

Exactly. If your frustrated why are you doing it? It's not work.

Time will fix everything so your main objective should be to keep playing period, practice or for fun no matter, just keep doing something.
guitar_guyz
10 IQ
Quote by patticake

This is right on the money! Take a deep breath and walk away for a bit. It's amazing how many times I will be incredibly frustrated with some lick or chord progression and after walking away for a bit, I can come back and be much more successful.

Also, I find that the occasional marathon practice session is ok, but trying to pull off several in a row leads to burn out in a hurry.
MoreThanGuitar
10 IQ
Not sure I follow; did you strain the muscles in your right hand playing or doing something else?

If there's no actual damage, just tension and frustration, then try practicing more slowly. A lot of people always try to play at tempo and get frustrated. If you slow it down and walk through the motions you'll learn it in less time with less frustration.