as title says im looking to buy a marshall amp since i love the tone that these seem to give which i cant find on peavey's or line 6's.Ill be playing through it using a '64 Duosonic and a strat.Id like it to be quite big aswell if possible.

,thanks
Jet city is gonna be your best bet. most of the budget marshalls really dont sound all that great. maybe see if you can stretch your budget for one of the new DSL's or the slash SL5. otherwise, something like a jet city is gonna be about all you'll be able to afford at that budget
Marshall DSL 401?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Marshall DSL 401?

Deffo get one of them used over here.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Maybe for that money you can get a used DSL40c/15c or a Class 5, though you probably want something like the classic marshallesque power amp distortion, which is typical of the JTM45 or the JCM800 depending on what sound you're looking for exactly.
The sound I think you're looking for comes from EL34 output valves, and the cheapest amp they make with EL34s is the DSL40c.

My suggestion would be getting another amp like the peavey Vypyr tube 60 which being a modeling amp could probably give you what you're looking for with a bit of tweaking, or saving up for a big and loud (though not really that useful) JCM800 half stack.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just out of curiosity.. why do you want it to be big? That just makes it more of a hassle to take to gigs.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Volcz
Just out of curiosity.. why do you want it to be big? That just makes it more of a hassle to take to gigs.

No sha-it that needs some clarification.
Quote by Spambot_2
you probably want something like the classic marshallesque power amp distortion, which is typical of the JTM45 or the JCM800 depending on what sound you're looking for exactly

JCM800 was preamp gain not power tube distortion. Power tube distorton is from non MV amps. There was a 4 hole non MV JCM800 but I doubt your talking about that model

Look for a Laney AOR combo they are cheap as hell used here, bet they are even cheaper in the UK. If you want something a little more modern, Laney VC50/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Volcz

Oh diddums. "My amp's big, I think I'm going to cry."
There are plenty of reasons to want a big rig; tone, feedback, stage presence. Nothing wrong with a big rig if you aren't a muppet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fair enough.

But when I read OP's post again, when he says "I'd like it to be quite big as well" without any justification, it just seems odd to me. Especially since I think he's caught up in that phase of wanting a big Marshall stack since he's only just started playing guitar and doesn't really know any better (I read previous threads).
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Sep 14, 2013,
Yeah. Better a small valve Marshall (or Marshallesque) combo than a full-stack MG that's for sure. No question.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're ok buying second hand, how about a JTM30/60? I've seen them going in your price range
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by Robbgnarly
JCM800 was preamp gain not power tube distortion. Power tube distorton is from non MV amps. There was a 4 hole non MV JCM800 but I doubt your talking about that model

Power tube distortion comes from power sections, and that one in particular comes from both EL34s and Marshall designed power sections.
If you want to use a master volume amp like a non master volume one just turn the master up to 10/11/whatever the max is, and use the gain as volume control.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Power tube distortion comes from power sections, and that one in particular comes from both EL34s and Marshall designed power sections.
If you want to use a master volume amp like a non master volume one just turn the master up to 10/11/whatever the max is, and use the gain as volume control.

Most will not run an 800 that way, sorry

Besides it is out of TS price range by a long shot. Give suggestions that will actually help a TS not what you want. Regardless when have you ever heard of a JCM800 selling for 300 anythings?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Regardless when have you ever heard of a JCM800 selling for 300 anythings?

I actually got mine around that price. But it was a 4212 combo rehoused into a head format so that probably decreased the value.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
I actually got mine around that price. But it was a 4212 combo rehoused into a head format so that probably decreased the value.

Yeah that would effect the value, and that price is rare to find a functioning 800.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Pussies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pussies.

Figures you'd be the one to say that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.by big a meant around 12''+? ive seen one called a mg thats really cheap but ill assume that its horrendous otherwise it wouldnt be so cheap?.
Quote by Nirvanafan97
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.by big a meant around 12''+? ive seen one called a mg thats really cheap but ill assume that its horrendous otherwise it wouldnt be so cheap?.

The speaker? Yes, 12 incher is what you want. Preferably several. But I guess that also means you are looking for a combo amp, not a halfstack?

Avoid Marshall MGs. They are bad.

Vypyr Tube would be the standard answer (it has a model based on JCM800). Vypyr 75 is also a good deal on Thomann right now (195&euro though thats a solid state and not as good as the tube version.

For actual tube amp check the Jet City JCA22h head on thomann and get a good 2x12" cab to go with it. Dont be a pussy and go halfstack! Unlike its big brothers it comes with EL34 power tubes which could be what you want. *edit* Wait, what it came with was EL84. My bad.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 15, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Besides it is out of TS price range by a long shot. Give suggestions that will actually help a TS not what you want. Regardless when have you ever heard of a JCM800 selling for 300 anythings?

Aww come on, don't be so hard on me, I told him about the DLS line and the Class 5 and the Vypyr :P

Now that you talk about Jet City, maybe you can find a good deal and get the PicoValve:
5w theoretically, and from what I got, it seems to me that it comes with 6L6s and you can change the output tube - or tubes, not sure, with any octal based one, so 6V6s, KT66, EL34 and so on.

Then, the best cheap cab I know of is the Harley Benton G212 Vintage, which you can get from thomann fof €200.
If you're not in europe and can't find one used, I have heard good things about the JCA24S.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Nirvanafan97

Small amps can have a 12"speaker (eg Tiny Terror combo). You don't need a 4x12 cabinet for a big sound. I'd recommend a 2x12 combo if your planning on gigging.

Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Spambot_2
Aww come on, don't be so hard on me, I told him about the DLS line and the Class 5 and the Vypyr :P

Now that you talk about Jet City, maybe you can find a good deal and get the PicoValve:
5w theoretically, and from what I got, it seems to me that it comes with 6L6s and you can change the output tube - or tubes, not sure, with any octal based one, so 6V6s, KT66, EL34 and so on.

Then, the best cheap cab I know of is the Harley Benton G212 Vintage, which you can get from thomann fof €200.
If you're not in europe and can't find one used, I have heard good things about the JCA24S.

most of this is just useless. i am not sure you are fully aware of some of your statements.

jet citys sound nothing like marshalls. i have owned a 2112rc and a 50H. they are american voiced. not marshall.

also jet city has terrible speakers IMO. i have owned and played them.

he said big, you said class 5 nice amp but not what he wants. and again not a good answer.

then you said vypyr tube, yes they are nice modeling amps, but they aren't quite like a cranked marshall.

________

i have a JTM45 clone i built. it needs to be loud as hell, sounds great, but NVM means that its got to get loud (which was correct).

if anybody wants cranked marshall look into a 18w (1974x) i built one, i know cath has too, he is better and more experienced than i though you dime it, its loud as hell. i run it through a 4x12" (not that that is really relevant at all).

spambot i am not trying to be an asshole. but just have a better idea of what you are recommending.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I am pretty aware of what I said.

I recommended the DSL40c because it is, as far as I know, the cheapest marshall with EL34s.
I recommended the Class 5 because it's cheap, and TS said he had no more than £300 to spend.
I recommended the Vypyr because keeping hearing about it here, even never having tried I am convinced it's a nice amp, and it has 2 models based on the plexi.

I didn't recomment the JCA2112rc nor the 50H, that respectively have EL84s and 6L6s in the power section.
I guessed the picovalve, in which to put EL34s in the power section, together with a cab would have been a nice idea for that way he can gets both a cab he can upgrade later, and crank it up without tearing the paint off the walls.
The amp is also pretty cheap, so he could fit it in £300.

I am sorry about the cab thing :P, I remember having read good things about it but I never tried that too.

I didn't recommend any JTM or 1974 because even clones come for way more than £300.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, I am pretty aware of what I said.

1. I recommended the DSL40c because it is, as far as I know, the cheapest marshall with EL34s.

2.I recommended the Class 5 because it's cheap, and TS said he had no more than £300 to spend.

I recommended the Vypyr because keeping hearing about it here, even never having tried I am convinced it's a nice amp, and it has 2 models based on the plexi.

4. I didn't recomment the JCA2112rc nor the 50H, that respectively have EL84s and 6L6s in the power section.

5. I guessed the picovalve, in which to put EL34s in the power section, together with a cab would have been a nice idea for that way he can gets both a cab he can upgrade later, and crank it up without tearing the paint off the walls.
The amp is also pretty cheap, so he could fit it in £300.

I am sorry about the cab thing :P, I remember having read good things about it but I never tried that too.

6. I didn't recommend any JTM or 1974 because even clones come for way more than £300.

1. the DSL they are probably a hundred euros over his budget at minimum for a good one, but they would do the best on a budget., do a search on ebay completed listings. IIRC they have issues as with the rectifier overheating, however some (maybe all) of them have rectifier overheating issues.

the one wilmarez found on gumtree would be great. for the money, i think one could
do without reverb. you could buy a cheap pedal if you have to. but it could be just a
bad tank, which can be found cheap and just hook up with a pair of rca jacks.

2. he wants big, for likely a stupid reason, but that is probably more important than size, OP said OP
i wanted a big one because i dont like the pussy little ones that are really small.
. if not the class 5 is decent IMO, but not big.

3. vypyrs are fine. i wouldn't go anything less than a tube 60, but he would practically need one of the sanpera footswitchs. workable though i will credit that to you. here they are around $225-$250 (in the US on ebay) switch goes for a bit more. but really, personally would never get a vypyr without sanpera. but should be in budget. probably best bet.

4. you recommended jet city. they are soldano clones. american voicing, sound nothing like a proper marshall. i said those two models because i owned them. not marshall.

5. the picovalves are cool, but 5 watts again probably not what he wants for size. i am not saying 5 watts isn't loud, because it is, but still not what i would recommend. i don't know for sure, so i will ask OP, but really the only feature to the picovalve is the bias-less tube switching. if thats something he wants, they are great, i have played with a THD model. they are really cool, but unless you want to do a lot of messing around, they just aren't what i would recommend.

6. you are right they are more expensive, i have over $500 into both the 1974X and JTM45 (i built the head shells, so i am not factoring cab in). the 1974X would be perfect because when turned up they get some very nice power tube overdriven marshally tone, still loud enough for anything you would need.

SPAMBOT. i may have been a bit of an ass. i didn't mean to chew you out. don't take it personally. so hopefully we can over that. if not thats fine too thats your call.

OP- do you want to tweak or do you just want a marshall?
OP- how important is size? even 5 watt amps are loud dimed. enough to do auditory damage. , but would you sacrifice size for tone?
OP- Jet City amps are decent and are best for the buck, but they don't sound like a marshall, but maybe you should try one. but you say marshall (which is fine), but it would be the cheapest way to get something bigger used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well after reading what you guys have said size doesnt really matter anymore, I love the twang ypu get from marshalls but it isnt vital.if theres something that would play rockabilly like buddy holly aswell as rhcp well strangely unlike my name would suggest im actualy not all that into nirvana
Quote by Nirvanafan97
Well after reading what you guys have said size doesnt really matter anymore, I love the twang ypu get from marshalls but it isnt vital.if theres something that would play rockabilly like buddy holly aswell as rhcp well strangely unlike my name would suggest im actualy not all that into nirvana

Twang?

You should've said that earlier!
I'd say a Vox AC15 or maybe a Fender with a pedal for distorted rhcp sounds.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.