Page 2 of 2
Quote by atza
In a new language maybe but in mother tongue the first word is always 'mummy' isn't it ?

And unless he already plays an instrument like the piano or violin than he really shouldn't start with 'swear' words but with basics. Once you can play guitar or some other instrument than you can try learning a new instrument and start with power chords

(A) Who lists guitar as their mother tongue? Really reaching with this.

(B) you didn't think this one through. Guitar is brutal tough to learn and be decent at. Why not mix the fun easier stuff with the harder stuff in the beginning? No one is saying don't learn open chords. What the majority are taking issue with here (if I am reading things right) is the teacher's attitude. They are correct too.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Well sure, I agree, but arguably power chords are more basic than open chords.

There are really two kinds of "basics", too- basic music theory, and basic fingering patterns. They don't necessarily match up, very complex chords often have easy fingering patterns and easier chords often don't.

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I always advocate learning the right songs and then the theory behind them. You play guitar to play songs right and make music? Not just sit there and learn theory independently and strum through chords all the time. A good instructor will be like, hey you like metal, well I have an idea of your skill level so let's play some Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath/Guns n Roses riffs that use these power chords and they also have open chords in there too. Want to learn about open power chords, play some ACDC. It's all important and used.

Power chords are simple, yes but they are the bread and butter of many riffs. And there is arguably much more to a good sound riff than the chords used.
agreed.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by sweetdude3000
I always advocate learning the right songs and then the theory behind them. You play guitar to play songs right and make music? Not just sit there and learn theory independently and strum through chords all the time. A good instructor will be like, hey you like metal, well I have an idea of your skill level so let's play some Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath/Guns n Roses riffs that use these power chords and they also have open chords in there too. Want to learn about open power chords, play some ACDC. It's all important and used.

Power chords are simple, yes but they are the bread and butter of many riffs. And there is arguably much more to a good sound riff than the chords used.

+1

I'm hoping this convinced the TS to stop paying this ass.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Not to necro this thread or anything, but I want to post an update.

I've come to the point where my teacher and I disagree on what I should be learning ANd buying. I visit a music store whenever I come across one,and I thought I'd bring in a music book. Because he's always telling me to bring in stuff. It was a book with Christmas songs , but I bought it because of the strum patterns. He has yet to teach me them. I feel like it's been the same old copy and repeat lessons for the last couple months. We'll anyway, he kind of got mad at me for not using HiS course material. At that point, I kept saying "strum pattern" and was hoping he would help me with it.

Nope. He proceeded to go onto something else. Then I asked him his opinion on a certain type of guitar, because who doesn't ask their teachers opinion?

I wanted to find out about it before I got it. Weeellll.....he proceded to give me this lecture on how I should buy from him if I wanted a new guitar and ranted about buying local. He also td me that I don't know how to pick out a guitar so I shouldn't be getting one. I told him I didn't know anything about cars either but I got one of those.

He went on like that for 10 minutes of my so called lesson.

On top of that all, I knew he was teaching me wrong. For open chords, he had the fingerlings wrong and had me playing all strings. So I'd practice the way my chord bank app described. I've also been teaching myself more than what I learned at lessons.

So. I'm done with this teacher. I found a better one who's a lot easier to work with and is teaching me the right way to play.
Great news.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Page 2 of 2