jmeredith360
122 IQ
Hi, I'm in the market for a new electric guitar and I've narrowed it down to either a fender strat or a gibson les paul. Could you help me figure out which would be better. Like which one has better pickups and stuff like that. thanks for the help.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
You've narrowed it down to two completely different guitars (and there's about a trillion models of each besides). There's not much we can do to help you - they're both great, and you'll need to play a bunch of each and decide for yourself what you want.
Slap-happy
994 IQ
This^.

Play as many as possible and figure what sounds best to YOU.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
OliveG
Tab Contributor
1,572 IQ
And listen to some CDs maybe? They sound completely different and you'll never be able to sound like the other no matter which one you decide on...
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
As others have said, you have "narrowed it down" to the two most iconic electric guitars ever created. They are both first-rate, and they are indeed very different in many important respects. Asking "Which should I get: a Strat or a Les Paul?" is like asking "Which one should I nail? The blonde or the brunette?" Stick with the game long enough and you'll eventually nail them both. It works the same way for electric guitars.

The other thing to consider is that the names "Stratocaster" and "Les Paul" each cover an enormous range of series, models, features (particularly with the Les Paul guitars), and price ranges. Whole books have been written about both of those guitar lines, and the lines are so extensive that I don't think any of the books are truly complete. You've certainly got good taste in electric guitars, but you need to do a lot more preparatory work before you are ready to decide on one or the other. Don't worry: we've all been through it, and we go through it again and again as our tastes and bank balances change.

You'll figure out which is best for you.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World
3,638 IQ
Fender Strat with heavy modifications.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
bullseyestrat
109 IQ
Quote by Fumble fingers
two totally different guitars ... get em both and you'll have it all

very right. both guitars have awesome qualities that can't be matched by imitators.
ghobby
158 IQ
Quote by Fumble fingers

I third this, because really.........whichever one you get, within in a year and a half you'll be getting the other one too.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Quote by Fumble fingers

Best answer!

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

rico5348
10 IQ
I have 2 Les Pauls and an American Fender Strat along with many other fine guitars. The people who have recommended getting both guitars are the ones who are right. But, for my money, the Les Paul is a better guitar for many reasons and when you eventually get both guitars - which is my recommmendation, you can sort that out for yourself. And here is a little more advice. First, Buy a Gibson Les Paul "Standard" model first and not one of the models below that and you will have made the best purchase for the money ever in your life. Second, when you get your Strat, buy the American made one. It is better than the ones made out of the country. Depending on your taste, talent, style, and purpose for playing you will soon decide which electric guitar is best for what and will most likely favor one over the other because they are both so very different. So, do whatever it takes to make the big buy and make sure you are playing through a good amp. And God Bless.
demonhellcat
402 IQ
It's going to depend on your musical preferences mainly. A "traditional" strat will go from surf to blues to country to classic rock and maybe a little punk rock.

A "traditional" Les Paul will go from classic rock to more modern rock. The Les Paul is probably less versatile but nothing beats it's big fat room filling wall of sound.

That said, there are a million variations of each (not counting all the copies from other companies). Luckily you've narrowed it down to the two most common guitars (assuming you're in the USA) so trying them out at a guitar store should be no problem.
The Judist
The problem is choice
2,142 IQ
What you need is a new amp.

Then you want a Les Paul with 3 humbuckers and a bigsby.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
when you decide to get a strat , look real close at G & L , Leo's Fenders best work was with G & L and BBE took it up a whole notch farther when Leo passed away, I started out this year wanting a nice Fender American Standard strat , found out about G & L (thanks Justroostin) and now own six G & L's plus have two more new ones on order ...... you can get Fender Custom Shop quality at Fender American Standard prices with a G & L ...
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Fumble fingers
when you decide to get a strat , look real close at G & L , Leo's Fenders best work was with G & L and BBE took it up a whole notch farther when Leo passed away, I started out this year wanting a nice Fender American Standard strat , found out about G & L (thanks Justroostin) and now own six G & L's plus have two more new ones on order ...... you can get Fender Custom Shop quality at Fender American Standard prices with a G & L ...

this.
Carrot
UG's only carrot
3,860 IQ
Buy a HH strat
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
It all comes down to whether you are a "Strat" or a "Les Paul" guy. Is this your first guitar purchase or do you already own some guitars?

What genres are you going to play? What amp do you have?

You could also buy a HSS Strat so you get both humbucker and single coil sounds in one guitar.

Have you tried these guitars? If not, go and try them. Only you know what you like.

A video might make it easier to choose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_QpjhQ0Ts
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,513 IQ
Two extremes, if you don't know either, I'd go for something in between really. A super strat HSH. Might as well go for the 24 frets and FR too!
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust
284 IQ
I myself am a Gibson man...how I know this, on my right forearm i have a 25cm SG and on my left I have my LP.....I will be a gibson man until the day I die....this is how much I really love my Gibsons. But here´s the thing...thats my choice....and an LP mabye isn´t whats gunna get your mojo working. Your question is like saying "I want a pet....should I get a cat or a dog"

....best thing to do is first narrow down what tone your looking for, write down a list of guitarists you enjoy listening too and then find out what gear they use....that should really narrow it down

...then go in and play the damned thing....you may find yourself having a Little to much fun with the guitar thats not your first choice...it´s really all about finding the one that feels good in your hands and your ears.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
samuraigoomba
491 IQ
Gotta agree with blackst4r. Gibsons just don't feel right for me, but a nice tele or strat fits in my arms very comfortably.

Try lots of models of each.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Oh, and don't buy anything blind just because somebody here suggests it. You need to go and try it by yourself. Because you are the only one who knows if it feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
I would make it a goal to get both !! ...... one won't replace the other , some stuff you need a strat , some stuff you need a LP ..... yes they have different kind of feel from each other , plus all the different neck styles you can get just from one Brand , but just like your acoustic they will all feel different but still should be no problem getting used to each guitar with a little bit of playing time .....
my LP is just a copy for now till I get the "real deal" LP but each design is great in there own right , get both and don't look back , you can never have too many guitars in the arsenal , just like amps the more the merrier , no one amp does it all just as no one guitar does it all
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Oct 15, 2013,
RockAddict311
RockAddict311
2,304 IQ
BOTH

Anyone who tells you one is better than the other is probably just a plain ignoramus.
RockAddict311
RockAddict311
2,304 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
get a tele.

+1

Jimmy Page is partial to teles as well for all you Zep lovers. Quite a few tracks involve the tele.
Danny McMartin
44 IQ
I was in the same position a few years ago. I had to step back and think what do my favourite guitarists play?

While I love Red Hot Chili Peppers for e.g. where their guitarist mainly uses Fenders, I couldn’t but think that so many of the bands I had listened to over the years and the fat sound they produced all come from a Les Paul.

The Les Paul weighs a LOT more. Much heavier so takes a little to get used to when standing while playing. Yet almost 5 years on, I’m happy with the purchase.

In summary which guitar do you think?

1) Looks cooler?
2) Feels more user friendly to play?
3) Has the sound you want?
4) Is used by your influences?
nonjonron
575 IQ
Pretty much was Rico said except I don't think the Gibson is necessarily better than the strat. He's right about getting a higher end les paul as opposed to a cheaper one I think. These days I believe it is the Les Paul traditional (non chambered?). You should explore chambered verses non-chambered and decide what is best for you. The chambered is a newer feature from Gibson that I am unsure about.

I also agree with everyone else who says get both. A good American made strat will probably cost you less money than the Gibson. So make sure the Les Paul is at least a standard or the strat is American made.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
The thread is a couple of months old so I think TS has already made his decision.

So TS, what did you get?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
HotDan!
333 IQ
Most everything has been covered here in that you've 'narrowed it down' to two iconic guitars with two totally different sounds. I'll throw in this...why not both? Well sort of or at least as close as you can come for a trial of each for little money. Go get yourself a Chinese made Tokai Love Rock (I recently got one and they're not bad) along with a Squire Classic Vibe Strat (these are better than not bad, in fact...very good and I have one of these as well). You can get these for around $350.00 or so each. They will give you extremely good insight as to which direction you wish to go from there and you can upgrade to your tastes from that point for little initial outlay money wise.
Last edited by HotDan! at Dec 22, 2013,
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
every guitarist should have a LP , a Strat and Tele in the rack at the minimum ... seriously , would any of them collect dust ? ... not at my house