Hey guys, I've been playing bass for about 9 years now (mostly live), and I never really successfully got into the recording aspect (I've been in studio and recorded, but I'm talking about do-it-yourself home recording.) I was wondering how one would go about setting up and recording my bass playing to some music. Any help preferred!

I do have Audacity as a starting point, and have access to the Pro Tools lab at school, so fire away!

Thanks,

Litmus
Go read the interfaces sticky for the different options of what kit you'll need.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Once you get your gear I think it's important to follow tutorials so you get to know your toolkit well.
If i could start my recording career over, I'd grab a Reaper DAW trial and a Focusrite Studio Bundle and start learning from there.

Don't be afraid just do it.

I started with a webcam mic and made this: http://shorthandphonetics.bandcamp.com/album/cantata-no-6-assistants-of-assistants-in-varying-keys-op-25-for-three-electric-guitars-one-bass-guitar-one-drum-kit-one-tenor-and-additional-voices-where-appropriate

You can do way better with what you have got these days.
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!