billabob
1,574 IQ
Right, i am currently doing a little bit of recording at home to make demos for my band. However im getting a bit annoyed with not being able to get good quality recordings or drums.

Currently i am using this as an audio interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXLo-YQH6vY

Going strait into reaper and using amplitube 3 for guitar modulation.

The problem i have is i get kinda a clicking sound when playing single notes and there is a tiny amount of latency thats bugging the hell outta me.

I want a strait plug in and play set up with a midi controller to do my drums and sythn's and an audio interface to do guitar and bass.

I was looking at this as an interface:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid28547/cid712/avid-fast-track-duo-usb-audio-interface.asp

Mainly because it comes with protools and i though it would be good sound quality wise. I did'nt know whether the focus right equivalent would be better though?

Then i have no idea Which midi controller to get but i wanted to spend less than £250 on that if possible.

Also if anyone has any suggestions to if there are any better guitar sims that i can use other than amplitube that would be very much apreciated!
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
You don't need any kind of midi keyboard for drum sounds, the midi controller changes absolutely 0 of your sound, as all it does is sent trigger information to your pc, it doesn't actually make any sounds. What you need is a drum vsti that you can just draw in with your DAW'S midi editor. I'd recommend Steven Slate Custom for the cheapest quality option.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
billabob
1,574 IQ
Hey thanks for the help, the focus right scarlett 2i4 interface does look good, i thought that the avid m box would be better tho as its more expensive and comes with pro tools?

I need the interface to be able to take a midi keyboard, guitar and bass inputs and have no latency to the mac with good quality pre amps.

I really want a midi keyboard however as it will not just be used for drums ill use it for a variety of other things too. So i just need recommendations as to which ones are good at under £250 if there are any?
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Personally I have a little Axiom, great bits of kit and they do various sizes for various prices.

And no, honestly I think the M-Audio interfaces are crap and I'm not the only one. You'd probably be better off with a $60 copy of REAPER over what the crippled version of Pro Tools would give you anyway.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 17, 2013,
mulefish
UG Addict
1,968 IQ
Most people prefer the focusrite over the maudio. It's a fantastic unit for the price.

I also have an axiom... Does the job for me. Would also look at the novation impulse as an alternative. If you want just a keyboard maybe the maudio keystation would suffice.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Oct 18, 2013,
billabob
1,574 IQ
ok thansk for the help, i was leaning towards the avid but youve helped me see the light. ill go for a focusright but im not sure which one of these to get:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid25712/cid712/focusrite-scarlett-2i4-124-2-in-4-out-usb2-interface.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/condenser-mics/pid27345/cid752/focusrite-scarlett-studio-bundle-all-you-need-to-record-at-home.asp

I do need to be able to do vox recording aswell so i dont know wether its worth getting the bundle to be able to do everything! Only thing is i want the best audio interface i can just buy a mic at a later date...
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
As has been recently added to the Sticky, the 2i2 is next to useless for DI-ing guitars due to it's lack of input attenuator (or "pad".) So go with the 2i4.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
If it helps, the Axiom's have built in mini drum pads.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer
225 IQ
Quote by mulefish
Most people prefer the focusrite over the maudio. It's a fantastic unit for the price.

I also have an axiom... Does the job for me. Would also look at the novation impulse as an alternative. If you want just a keyboard maybe the maudio keystation would suffice.

I concur with this. Focusrite is what I go with.
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by billabob

Bare in mind that that will only really do synth stuff. If you want to play proper piano parts you'll need a bigger keyboard.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer
225 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Bare in mind that that will only really do synth stuff. If you want to play proper piano parts you'll need a bigger keyboard.

Those Korg microKEYs are nifty (I'm not gonna say the best, but it works)
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!