I've been looking into getting a looping pedal and based on budget restraints I've been looking at:

Boss RC-3

Digitech JML2 JamMan

Vox VDL1

Line 6 JM4 Looper

I'm mainly going to use it when I'm practicing by myself and occasionally in a live setting. I need a pedal that lets me pull up specific riffs for specific songs without having to re-record them.

My budget is roughly 200 USD and I do buy used. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Nov 9, 2013,
Not the Boss or the Vox.

I would go Digitech because of the smaller size.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Quote by unicornicopia
Have a look at the TC Electronic Ditto Looper, as well, it's nice and small

The analog circuitry and the true bypass are definitely good, but I want something that's able to store my loops.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Nov 9, 2013,
It depends what you are using it for. like are you just using it to jam with yourself?, do you need it to store loops so you can trigger them in a live situation etc. there is a big difference between the simple loopers like the Ditto looper mentioned above to some of the others you mentioned!
Quote by gurg06
It depends what you are using it for. like are you just using it to jam with yourself?, do you need it to store loops so you can trigger them in a live situation etc. there is a big difference between the simple loopers like the Ditto looper mentioned above to some of the others you mentioned!

I'm mainly going to use it when I'm practicing by myself and occasionally in a live setting. I need a pedal that lets me pull up specific riffs for specific songs without having to re-record them.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

(I'm interested in this too)
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

If you want to store loops, don't get a DL4. It doesn't store them (at least to my two years of knowledge with it)
However, I've tried many loopers, an the DL4 is the best in my opinion. The TC Electronic Flashback x4 is pretty awesome as well, but I still like the DL4 better. If I could make the Flashback and DL4 have a baby, I would use that thing.

For you, you don't need a looper, you want a sampler. Nick Reinhart of Tera Melos uses one....but I have no clue what it is....
Maybe there is a looper that can do what you want. I know BOSS loopers can store a shit load of loops, so maybe look into those?

My recommendation would be to go to a guitar shop and just test a bunch of em out
I've been watching demos and tutorials on youtube and all of them seem to do what I need, but I just don't know which one to go for and would like some feed back on them (it's difficult to find these and try them out in my area, so I shop online).

Quote by Offworld92
Not the Boss or the Vox.

I would go Digitech because of the smaller size.

I'm curious why the Boss is bad?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Its not bad, it just has a worse feature/price ratio than the L6 or DigiTech.

No SD card slot for example.

also, isn't that the single stomp box model? that would be a nightmare to access multiple loops with.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Its not bad, it just has a worse feature/price ratio than the L6 or DigiTech.

No SD card slot for example.

also, isn't that the single stomp box model? that would be a nightmare to access multiple loops with.

Oh okay. I had the same impression.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Our old bass player had a Digitech pedal, the JML 2, I think. That seemed to do what you're after. Sounded pretty good in reheasals. I think he even used it during a show once, looping the closing bass line and then thrashing through the last chords with me on my spare guitar.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Boss RC-20XL!!!

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
I have personally tried all the ones above and I would say that your best option would be the Boss; it's reliable and it stores many presets but I don't know specifics into how long or how many. But of those, the Boss had been most reliable for me. I use a looper that's built into my Line 6 POD HD500X now, and a Ditto looper sometimes. You may think you need to use the same riff every time, but I'd like to put forth that from my experience when you're playing with the same exact track every sing time, it gets a little annoying, especially in a live scenario.

Also, if you're bringing up presets in a gig or in a rehearsal, you'd have to record them to a click AND have your drummer play to the same click to get it in time, which in my opinion sucks some of the fun out of it. So I would highly HIGHLY recommend (based on personal experience) to get a Ditto looper or even a used Boomerang if you can spare the money, and loop in the moment. It'll make your life much easier than remembering presets, and worrying about time and getting bored of the same loop and so on.

But, if you are completely set on one of those, I've had the best experience with the Boss and I'm obliged to recommend that because of it. The others just didn't work for what I needed, and I started thinking I wanted the same as what you would like.

Cheers!
gibson, what was unreliable about the Jamman you used? I can't think of anything the Boss does that the Jamman doesn't.
Quote by fly135
gibson, what was unreliable about the Jamman you used? I can't think of anything the Boss does that the Jamman doesn't.

+1

although i haven't used my jammman a whole lot its pretty rugged. if ^^ has tried/owned them all where does the jamman fall weak? the switches aren't going anywhere. the knobs are on par with every other looper.

honestly i havn't played the boss a whole lot, but i don't see any relibility issues. its built no better.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You mentioned the Line6 JM4 - that has SD card storage and plenty of space without the SD card to store recordings then replay them later.

It also has some effects and jam tracks on board too for practice.

I bought one a couple of years ago and it's pretty good.
I'm thinking of possibly getting one in order to get of the bassist in our band. Mainly because he gives me the shits and everyone else I know that can play is apathetic.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by gibson52198
I have personally tried all the ones above and I would say that your best option would be the Boss; it's reliable and it stores many presets but I don't know specifics into how long or how many. But of those, the Boss had been most reliable for me. I use a looper that's built into my Line 6 POD HD500X now, and a Ditto looper sometimes. You may think you need to use the same riff every time, but I'd like to put forth that from my experience when you're playing with the same exact track every sing time, it gets a little annoying, especially in a live scenario.

Also, if you're bringing up presets in a gig or in a rehearsal, you'd have to record them to a click AND have your drummer play to the same click to get it in time, which in my opinion sucks some of the fun out of it. So I would highly HIGHLY recommend (based on personal experience) to get a Ditto looper or even a used Boomerang if you can spare the money, and loop in the moment. It'll make your life much easier than remembering presets, and worrying about time and getting bored of the same loop and so on.

But, if you are completely set on one of those, I've had the best experience with the Boss and I'm obliged to recommend that because of it. The others just didn't work for what I needed, and I started thinking I wanted the same as what you would like.

Cheers!

I bought a new Rc20xl and the memory was malfunctioning within a month. It was fully burned out and unfixable within 2-3 years. Ymmv but Roland does not fulfill the warranty easily. Just my experience.

I do agree that memory is overrated.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by WeZ-84
You mentioned the Line6 JM4 - that has SD card storage and plenty of space without the SD card to store recordings then replay them later.

It also has some effects and jam tracks on board too for practice.

I bought one a couple of years ago and it's pretty good.

Yeah I'm interested in that one, but my main concern is that it has extra fx (that I don't really need) and I'm not sure how it would fit into my current setup. My main amp right now has a separate input for time based fx (digital delay, reverb, and looping get plugged into a chain into an output and an input in the back) and fx like distortion or wah, which get plugged in between the guitar and the amp. Considering that the line 6 has both, which fx chain would I put it in?
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

My jamman just broke very quickly. Within a couple of months the button wasn't working and it wasn't recording in time and I wasn't happy with it. EVERY COMPANY HAS BUGS. There is always the possibility that I just got a few too many bugs, and maybe other people got bugs on what I didn't have. It worked great for the first little while though; maybe I just gig too much for it.

I still think it'd be better to go with something without presets, just of what I've tried it's the only one that has worked. The only reason I got rid of it is because I have one in my POD. The ditto came when I didn't need to bring my POD to some gigs.

Cheers!
Quote by gibson52198
My jamman just broke very quickly. Within a couple of months the button wasn't working and it wasn't recording in time and I wasn't happy with it. EVERY COMPANY HAS BUGS. There is always the possibility that I just got a few too many bugs, and maybe other people got bugs on what I didn't have. It worked great for the first little while though; maybe I just gig too much for it.

I still think it'd be better to go with something without presets, just of what I've tried it's the only one that has worked. The only reason I got rid of it is because I have one in my POD. The ditto came when I didn't need to bring my POD to some gigs.

Cheers!

I've been sportin' a tc flashback x4 for a few months and its been working great for me. AND I have every delay I could ever need/want/imagine. But when my rc20 started acting crazy I noticed 1000s of the exact same story for rc's and jammans.

It may be smarter to go used just cause its worked for whatever amount of time. As opposed to new ones, which are a crapshoot.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I have an original Jamman that I bought not long after they first came out and it's still going strong. No issues with recording in time. I also have a Boss RC-50, but it's higher end than the OP wanted. No experience with the lower Bosses. I just know that the Jamman does everything in the OP's need list with tons of storage. Plus it supports a 3 button external footswitch.
With the JM4, you can bypass the effects and just use it as a looper. If you want to jam without the amp you can plug in headphones and use the effects.

If you want to use the effects with an amp, I guess you could put it in the effects loop - I don't have a loop on my AC15 so I just put it out front.

But if the effects are more than you need then the Jamman or an RC30 may be a better option.