d_alexthegreat
46 IQ
I am looking to get an electric guitar for our worship band at our church. I am primarily a bass player (the jokes can ensue) but find that guitar players are occasionally needed. Therefore, I want a guitar that isn't crap, but won't break the bank. For Christian rock style music, what would be the most versatile guitar (lead or rhythm) that is for about $200? New or used is acceptable. Cheers!
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Used Epiphone LP standard
Used Squier VM/CV Strat
Used PRS SE santana
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
jds2
575 IQ
The ones already suggested are all good choices, but I would also say that some will depend on how heavy your group plays. At our usual worship service, there's little or no distortion / fuzz and most everything is pretty clean tone. We'll often add an acoustic (6- or 12-string) and sometimes mandolin. In this type of setting, an SSS strat / strat clone wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm really partial to a cheap strat clone that I put a set of GFS lipsticks into. If you have the chance to rock out, then something with humbuckers would be a good choice as well. I would definitely look into a modeling amp as well. I've been really impressed with all the different sounds our guitarist gets from one guitar and a Fender modeling amp piped through the PA. I would rate the amp as equally important and if your group is like ours, we never really have enough space, so a small modeling amp really opens up a lot of possibilities.
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust
284 IQ

I´m thinking one of these might make next sunday quite interesting.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
d_alexthegreat
46 IQ
Sounds good, jds2. I think I will get an SSS type guitar. And Blackst4r, it would make it quite interesting indeed, to say in the least, lol.
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust
284 IQ
Quote by d_alexthegreat
Sounds good, jds2. I think I will get an SSS type guitar. And Blackst4r, it would make it quite interesting indeed, to say in the least, lol.

...call it the coversation piece?

...unfortunatelly I can´t help you out much seeing that I don´t know price wise what it looks like over there but you should probably be going "gibson Les Paul-ish"...since a real thing would probabl set you back a Little more than 200 mabye a used epi with some better humbuckers in there....it´s a good mellow allround tone thats not to edgy....and with a semi decent amp they´ll all be singing hallelujah ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Even over here your not getting a Gibson for <$375 on a good day (normally)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
fifer
2,550 IQ
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (used)
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust
284 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Even over here your not getting a Gibson for <$375 on a good day (normally)

pretty much thought so...but a used epi LP....with any luck you should be able to find one in a decent price range that someones already done the mods too Before stepping up a notch?!?
demonhellcat
402 IQ
An HSS strat may be the most versatile. A used mim would probably run $250-300.