Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
Hey everyone.

This is my first post in this forum!

So I bought my first guitar when I was 13 years old and didn't touch it till now. Am 22 now. Is it too late to learn it from the start or can I achieve and learn songs by practicing daily ?

I have a Yamaha guitar and thinking of getting a Gibson Flying V Melody Maker

What do you guys think ?
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
It's never too late, as long as you have the passion and the patience.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
mattgreen2205
Carlos Spicy Weiner
94 IQ
Hi Lucifer91,

Welcome to Ultimate Guitar!

Firstly, I don't think it's ever to late to pick up the guitar. My advice is to check out some of the guitar teachers on Youtube as there are plenty of free lessons. Check out the link below to Marty Schwartz' channel. He was a massive help when I first started learning.

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs/videos

Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a new guitar at the moment unless your current yamaha is uncomfortable or unplayable. Just getting the basics down is what i'd recommend at the moment (chords and chords transitions).

Let me know if you need any more help and keep us posted on your progress dude!
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
If we're recommending useful websites to learn, I'd reccomend you check out Justin Sandercoe's videos and songbooks;
http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
Thank's for the replies and welcome guys!

mattgreen2205 my Yamaha's pick up selector switch is messed up. And I prefer getting a new guitar. Do you guys reccomend the Gibson Flying V Melody Maker ?
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
If you're learning to play on it I'd actually reccomend a guitar with a less extreme shape, should help with your posture. Not really a big deal though, play on whatever is comfortable and makes you excited to play.

If you want suggestions about what guitar to get for your budget/preferences, make a thread in the Electric Guitar forum.
mikefire
548 IQ
No its never too late!!! Anyone any age can play
Your reading this!
soundgarden6742
162 IQ
I like seeing someone who is inspired to learn guitar. You got some solid advice already, definitely watch justin sandercoe.... and marty schwartz. There are countless lesson videos on youtube, I'm sure you already found them by now.

I think you should be more open to different types of guitars- go to a guitar store, look at and play everything. It makes a big difference to feel and hear the differences in guitars rather than just reading about them. Also shopping for guitars is hella fun. You can hang out in guitar center all day.

A flying V or melody maker seem appealing now, but you should really compare to be thorough.

I will also say that I taught myself guitar to a limited extent to start off, and later got lessons. I made decent progress by myself but I improved much more once I had an actual teacher in the flesh. I don't know if you are attempting to teach yourself, but you might want to consider that also.
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
Thank's for the reply. Yes so far I am teaching myself by watching youtube videos and the process is working. I will be getting lessons when I get stuck.
mikefire
548 IQ
Quote by Lucifer91
Thank's for the reply. Yes so far I am teaching myself by watching youtube videos and the process is working. I will be getting lessons when I get stuck.

There is a guy on youtube named Mike Gross, Him and Marty Schwardz have good lessons
Your reading this!
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
I subscribed to many channels on YouTube that teach electric/acoustic guitar. Already trying to learn easy songs like House of the rising sun and dirty deeds done dirt cheap.
mikefire
548 IQ
Quote by Lucifer91
I subscribed to many channels on YouTube that teach electric/acoustic guitar. Already trying to learn easy songs like House of the rising sun and dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

what kind of music do you like? If you like some of the old Black Sabbath stuff its pretty ez

Edit: What bands do you listen to, maybe I can help you out
Your reading this!
Last edited by mikefire at Nov 14, 2013,
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Deep Purple, AC DC, Buckethead, Funkadelic, Joan Jett and the Black Hearts, Led Zeppelin, Marilyn Manson and Slash

I know this is in the wrong forum to post but what the heck it's music. For Trance and house: Infected Mushroom, Orjan Nilsen and Tiesto.

For Orchestra and film composing: Ennio Morricone, Zack Hemsey, X-RAY DOG and Two Steps From Hell.
Last edited by Lucifer91 at Nov 14, 2013,
mikefire
548 IQ
Quote by Lucifer91
Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Deep Purple, AC DC, Buckethead, Funkadelic, Joan Jett and the Black Hearts, Led Zeppelin, Marilyn Manson and Slash

I know this is in the wrong forum to post but what the heck it's music. For Trance and house: Infected Mushroom, Orjan Nilsen and Tiesto.

For Orchestra and film composing: Ennio Morricone, Zack Hemsey, X-RAY DOG and Two Steps From Hell.

Ok the EZer songs For...

Metallica=Seek and Destroy
Black Sabbath= Iron Man, Paranoid, Electric Funeral
Ozzy Osbourne= Crazy Train
Deep Purple=Smoke on the Water
AC/DC=Back in Black
Slash (I dont listen to his solo stuff just Guns N Roses)=Sweet Child O Mine

Some of them might be a little hard but Practice Makes Perfect!

Another tip is (if you dont know how to read tab, learn) Use power tab its free and better than TABs

If you need anything else just message me
Your reading this!
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
Alright. Thank you so much. For now I want to learn house of the rising sun I love that song so much. Will let you know if I'm stuck in something.
mikefire
548 IQ
Another good one is Eye of the Tiger. It was the first song i learned
Your reading this!
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnNMERafQ4

I am stuck. How do I change from chord to chord fast. I can play till the second cord but then I get stuck since I am not fast in changing my fingers form fret to fret. Any advice ?

I can play the AM chord and C chord. But then I can't move to the D chord fast enough.
Last edited by Lucifer91 at Nov 14, 2013,
mikefire
548 IQ
Quote by Lucifer91
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnNMERafQ4

I am stuck. How do I change from chord to chord fast. I can play till the second cord but then I get stuck since I am not fast in changing my fingers form fret to fret. Any advice ?

I can play the AM chord and C chord. But then I can't move to the D chord fast enough.

Practice just hit the chords not the notes. And PRACTICE SLOWLY! Sorry I cant help, it just takes time

Edit: To get a good sound pick as close to the bridge as you can
Your reading this!
Last edited by mikefire at Nov 14, 2013,
Lucifer91
Banned
412 IQ
i am a patient guy so I have no problem when it comes to time. My fingers got f-ed up from playing 5 hours a day for the past 4 days.
Dr_Hepplebeef
Doctor Hepplebeef
10 IQ
start slowly then increase. also, it's useful to practice with a metronome so your tempo doesn't change throughout the song.
Vintage1972
10 IQ
It's never too late, I have a friend who didn't take up guitar until his early 40s (he played other instruments previously) and now almost a decade later he is gigging regularly and teaching guitar part time. Having some natural ability is a big help but hard work pays off too.
rodwilli
10 IQ
As others have said... never too late... I am in my early 40's and started playing a few months ago. I have a background in keyboard so the basics of music and chords etc i know but initially i found it daunting. Months on I can now confidently move accross several chord shapes and play along with a few songs.
Just be patient, put in the practice and it will happen... good luck.
JimmySlort
13 IQ
I picked up a guitar for the first time 376 days ago and I turn 66 in a week and a half.. Never too late Dude!
Backtrackin'
Registered Guitar Addict
133 IQ
Hi Lucifer
Agree with everyone so far, it's never too late and at age 22, you have PLENTY of time !
You sound like you're going in all the right directions and there are so many online lessons on you tube, so much to learn.
Changing chords fast is just Finger Memory and it only comes with time and regular practise so just keep at it. Focus on feel and timing and accuracy will come in it's own time.
When you get it right, you will know it and it will pay you back in spades for all the work, sweat and practise.
I'm happy to offer any help I can be if you message me. I am self taught and still play by ear to this day. If you can learn to read music it will only help you a great deal but tabs are a good way of learning where things are played on the neck and after that it's just a case of plugging away at it until you hear the right sounds coming out of your amp.
Oh yeah and ALWAYS practise standing up unless you intend to perform sitting down on stage. There is a huge difference between sitting and standing and if you do all your learning sitting down, you will put the guitar strap over your neck, stand up and find it quite difficult to replicate what you've learned as your hands and arms are in totally different positions.
I see you like Joan Jett ? Try learning 'Hate myself for loving you'. It's a great song, not too difficult and will be quite satisfying when you get it right and can play along with the track.
Good luck and ask for help whenever you need to. Well done man.
guitar27frets
21 IQ
I've just started a blog aimed at people that have just taken up learning. I've got lessons on guitar technique and music theory that will be of great benefit to you. Here's a link if you're interested =)

27fretguitarlessons.blogspot.com