Page 4 of 4
#121
I wasn't happy with the binding on this one, for a few reasons. I decided to route it out and repeat the whole process, but with a few improvements. This project is finally starting to feel like a success:

















#122
I bought this little toy as a kit recently:





It was easy as pie to assemble and calibrate. The plan is to use it for inlay pockets, inlay materials, and smaller plastic covers.
#124
Quote by von Layzonfon
Ooh. I want one but I am pretty sure I have no use for one. A bit like a 3D printer - I can't afford one big enough to be useful to me.


That's kind of what I was thinking, but it's pretty easy to extend the gantry once you have a machine. It's all good experience too, even just as a stepping stone. This thing is only made from 2020 aluminium extrusion and T8 threaded rods, which are readily available in a variety of lengths.
#125
I've done some stuff:








I'm waiting on a new rasp before blending the heel and headstock transitions, and doing the final profiling.

Also, this experiment happened:




#128
Quote by -MintSauce-
I'm waiting on a new rasp

Which one are you getting? Is there any particular brand you would recommend?

By the way, I'd just like to say thank you for documenting your builds. You were one of the people that convinced me it was possible to build guitars in the first place.
Last edited by sashki at Apr 24, 2017,
#129
Quote by sashki
Which one are you getting? Is there any particular brand you would recommend?

By the way, I'd just like to say thank you for documenting your builds. You were one of the people that convinced me it was possible to build guitars in the first place.

That's awesome, dude! I only started after seeing people like Perry Ormsby and JSCustom on here; the first build diary I ever read was by a dude who made a purple Ibanez RG copy with cat paw inlays.

I think this is what I've ordered (15047):
https://www.pferdusa.com/products/201e/201e01/201e0104P.html

It's only machine-stitched and cheap, but I fancied a different profile to try. A Liogier would be my first choice, if I had £50-60 to spare!

I tried a bit more of the glow in the dark stuff tonight:






The strontium aluminate particles in the powder settle REALLY easily, so you have to give the stuff a ruddy good shake before using it (I didn't). The method really calls for decent epoxy too. With something like a casting resin, I should be able to get enough pigment in for a fuller colour. The cheap, thick stuff didn't fare too well. Painting the inlay pockets with a light coat of white should help the clarity too.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Apr 24, 2017,
#130
More inlay tests:




I painted the inlay pocket white, and also used more of the UV reactive/glow in the dark pigment.

And neck progress:







The profile still needs fine-tuning, but it's ready for neck pocket prep and attachment.