Page 4 of 4
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
I've selected a short list for each of these to comment on in a little detail.

#houseofecstasy

Oxbow - The Narcotic Story
This album is cloying and suffocating, dragging the listener down with it as it overdoses and wheezes out its last breaths. It feels like the aftermath of decadence and hedonism, but it doesn't quite capture the pleasure itself.

Ride for Revenge - Under the Eye
This was an interesting surprise to see chosen in this category. It didn't occur to me when I was making my choice, but the quality that defines Ride for Revenge for me is seduction. Each song sets up a hypnotic rhythm that worms its way into the listener's mind as it builds until it is difficult to tear yourself away.

Akercocke - Goat of Mendes
This album is the sound of a satanic cult, robed and masked, surrounded by candles, engaging in perverse rituals to win the favour of Satan. The deviations from occult death metal into softer, throbbing passages enhance some of the imagery of the lyrics, but it doesn't quite manage to be as explicit as some of the other choices.

Sarcofago - Rotting
Sarcofago - INRI
Both of these capture the thrusting malevolence of this band as they slaughter their way through sluts and virgins. Rotting has a touch more subtlety but INRI is the better choice of the two because of its unrestrained sexual aggression.

Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
This stands head and shoulders above the rest of the albums in this category. It is the sound of neon lights, alleyways and 'seedy films'. Each night the characters lose themselves in a world where their darkest desires are realised. In the cold light of day they seem to sense their encroaching self-destruction, which only spurs them on to further indulgence. This album doesn't just suggest the theme in its lyrics, it openly states it in its decadent synths and strutting dancefloor rhythms, luring disco dollies to a life of vice...

I vote for Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret

#purefilth

Naked Whipper- Pain Streaks
Filthy, grinding destruction. Slaughter, rape and gore. I think that about sums it up.

Sextrash - Sexual Carnage
A simpler version of Sarcofago, this would have been a good choice for House of Ecstasy too. This is carnage indeed: steeped in perversion, but more inclined to rip virgins into bloody pieces than to simply fukk them.

Antediluvian/Adversarial - Initiated In Impiety as Mysteries
This is primarily on the strengh of the Antediluvian side of the split. The riffs are contorted into nightmarish shapes and the production is dense and shrouded. You can feel the slime oozing down the subterranian, geometrically impossible walls of whatever nether-realm this emerged from.

Profanatica - Profanatitas De Domonatia
This band revels in anything that christians despise, and all of their releases spew filth from every orifice. The glorious riffs that Profanatica always bring are here, perhaps at their most magnificent, but had the choice been Disgusting Blasphemies Against God it might have reached the top spot in this theme in terms of sheer blood and cum splattering perversion.

Infester - To the Depths, in Degradation
I very nearly gave the top spot to this album. It is a nightmarish masterpiece that twists riffs through shrouded labyrinths. Brief glimpses of melody flicker in the dark until they emerge in their full, horrific forms. There is a demonic presence here that reviles the pure, seeking to corrupt it with infernal powers. Twisted and malignant, certainly, but not quite the most suited.

Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
This album is the sound of blood, pus and bile pulsing through exposed guts and veins. It feels like being immersed in a tank of still warm organs and viscera, thrashing around in gore splattered grooves. It shows us the filth inside our own bodies by ripping it out and spraying it over the walls.

I vote for Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
Last edited by Hoodoo Man at Jan 28, 2014,
severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
Kind of busy and want to get these in before I forget, so I'm casting the rest of my votes now. If you're really that interested in why I picked what I picked, PM me and I'll answer any questions and my reasoning for choosing it.

#tooth&claw
#memoriesfromanotherworld
#thunderstorms
#headbangingheaven
#bonusround

Tooth & Claw: Ildjarn - Forest Poetry
Memories From Another World: Semilanceata - En wallmoburen myhr, där döön grödha mellom bitter root ok frucht
Thunderstorms: Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine
Headbanging Heaven: Midnight - Satanic Royalty
Bonus Round: Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
Last edited by severed-metal at Jan 28, 2014,
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
Well shit, I've fallen behind. I'll edit in why I chose each album later.

#thunderstorms
I'm going with ctfod: Raventale - На хрустальных качелях
This album has the depressing feel of thunderstorms down, and is really good to boot. Obvious choice for me.

#headbangingheaven
I'm going with Kytokinesis: Heavy Load - Stronger Than Evil
Pure fukking 80's metal. I had to choose a Heavy Metal album on principle, and this was the best of the bunch. Originally chose Tyrant, but Heavy Load is absolutely deadly. Perfect choice.

#bonusround
I'm going with Kepulix: While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
What can I say about one of my favourite albums of all time. Fits the theme beautifully, almost as beautiful as the album cover. Quite frankly, nothing came remotely close to this.

HELLEDIT:
Updated with reasonings, and changed my vote.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Feb 1, 2014,
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
I'll hopefully edit this with some reasoning over the weekend, but just to make sure my votes are in:

#thunderstorms

Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood

#tooth&claw

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

#memoriesfromanotherworld

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

#bonusround

Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Progbass, what is best in life?

To crush your enemies
see them driven before you
and hear the lamentation of their women

#Tooth & Claw
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry

#Headbanging Heaven
Massacra - Final Holocaust

#Thunderstorms
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

#Memories From Another World
Summoning - Dol Guldur

#Bonus
Suffocation - Human Waste EP
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
#House of Ecstasy: Soft Cell - Nonstop Erotic Cabaret

#Headbanging Heaven: Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

#Tooth&Claw: Ildjarn - Forest Poetry

#Pure Filth: Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind

#Memories from Another World: Summoning - Dol Guldur

#Thunderstorms: Destroyer 666: Unchain the Wolves

#Bonus: Kathaaria - The Complex Void of Negativity
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
Last edited by Kytokinesis at Jan 31, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Closing this tonight. Get your votes in if you have not already.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
House of Ecstasy: Soft Cell - Nonstop Erotic Cabaret

Headbanging Heaven: Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

Tooth&Claw: Ildjarn - Forest Poetry

Pure Filth: Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind

Memories from Another World: Summoning - Dol Guldur

Thunderstorms: Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine

Bonus: Necros Christos - Doom of the Occult
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
#MemoriesFromAnotherWorld

For me this was between...

Cult of Fire
Blind Guardian
Summoning
Semilanceata

After deliberation I was struggling with the decision between Semilanceata and Summoning, two artist who were absolutely perfect for the theme. Semilanceata is a fume to inhale, once it reaches your nerves you find yourself in a strange world of flora and fauna that is alien yet somehow familiar. Wildchild, do you have one of the few tapes of this? I'm ready to part with all my money for it.

Ultimately my vote goes to Summoning, because I feel the wind of middle earth on my back when this album is playing. To be fair, this theme was made for Summoning.

#ThunderStorms

I enjoyed seeing the fact that some people interpreted ThunderStorms in an almost romanticized way. Credit to ctfod, Emenius Sleepus, and Helloween4Ever for their picks that made me reevaluate how I went about judging this theme.

Have to go with the absolute POWER and PRESENCE of Stillbirth Machine.

#Headbanging Heaven

Along with Pure Filth, this was the hardest theme to judge. Literally every album did something for me. I have to give this one to Kepulix and Defenders of the Crown only because this album makes Metalheads and non-Metal connoisseurs alike thrash and go wild. There is something to be said about a Metal album with such universal appeal.

#Bonus

Going to give this one to Blessed Are the Sick so we don't have a tie. Go ahead and judge me.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
The Tribunal Has Spoken

In the battle of House of Ecstasy, our Champion is...

High Lord Vicar Kepulix of The House of Doom
With

Quote by Kepulix
Please, continue to struggle with your wars and your conquest. I am Him. I am Doom. I am your End. Welcome me with open arms children.

In the battle of Pure Filth, our Champion is...

MorphoGenesis

With

Is that all you have UG Metal forum? When asked for Filth you should be screaming A DEAD GIFT, FOR YOUR DYING WORLD! Go back to Hard Rock, casuals.

In the battle of Tooth & Claw, our Champion is...

Hoodoo Man
With

Quote by Hoodoo Man
Were we to be stripped naked of all tools and cloth, I would reign supreme in the wilds of earth. Fear me.

In the battle of Memories From Another World, our Champion is...

Hoodoo Man
With

Quote by Hoodoo Man
And if we were to find ourselves in another world, I would still reign as your superior. Fear me in transpolar combat peons.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 2, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
In the battle of ThunderStorms, our Champion is...

BornHeadless
With

Quote by BornHeadless
*Squishy neck stump noises that sound oddly like mocking laughter*

In the battle of headbanging Heaven, our Champion is...

Severed Metal
With

Quote by Severed Metal
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED BY THIS HANDSOME BOY?!

In the battle of BONUS ROUND, our Champion is...

Progbass
With

Quote by Progbass
My revenge is fueled by your blood sacrifices. Feed me, my strength grows and soon The Apokkalypse Machine Gun Riffmast shall know what power and vengeance I have in store for his insolent actions in the last tournament.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Pure Filth was a three way tie that I already voted on and couldn't be the tie breaker myself. I had a lady friend listen to the three filthy champions and cast her own vote.

She voted Hatred For Mankind.

Here is the vote count....

House of Ectsasy

Akercocke - Goat of Mendes 111
Soft Cell - 111111
Lifelover - Erotik 11

Pure Filth

Profanatica-Profanatitas De Domonatia 1
Naked Whipper- Pain Streaks 1
Infester - To the Depths, in Degradation 111
Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind 111 BONUS 1
Progbass/Born Headless Carcass- Symphonies of Sickness 111

Tooth & Claw

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism 1
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry 11111
Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ 111
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal - aatte hymne til ulven i manden 11

Memories from another world

Semilanceata - En wallmoburen myhr, där döön grödha mellom bitter root ok frucht 1
Gris - Il Etait Une Foret 1
Blind Guardian-Nightfall in Middle Earth 11
Summoning - Dol Guldur 1111
Slough Feg - Traveller 11

ThunderStorms

Raventale - На хрустальных качелях 1
Destroyer 666 - Unchain The Wolves 111
Beherit - Oath of Black Blood 11
Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine 11111

Headbanging Heaven

Heavy Load - Stronger Than Evil 1
Midnight - Satanic Royalty 11
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry 111
Cryptopsy - None So Vile 1
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction 11
Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown 11

BONUS

Suffocation - Human Waste EP 1
Massacra - Final Holocaust 1
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose 1
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick 111
necros Christos - Doom of the Occult 11
Kathaaria - The Complex Void of Negativity 11
High Spirits - Another Night 1
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Congratulations HOODOO MAN

You are this brackets winner of the oft coveted award, a Grand Title is to be added to your Your Move arena name.

From here on out, when your opponents step face-to-face with you in the bloody colloseoum of sonic warfare, they shall know you as...

Hoodoo Man the Æther Talon

In honor of your victories in Tooth & Claw as well as Memories From Another World.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
A New Challenger Approaches!

illuminatiano
Many, many years ago these lands were exposed to a hallucinogenic psychedelic shapeshifter made of impossible geometry and certain colors came from his body. Capable of inducing a hippy trip into someones blood stream through mere touch, possesing the ability to psychedelically coerce others into becoming extremely interested in carpet fibers for hours on end, his powers were soon deemed worthy of due respect. But nowadays he mainly takes the form of a naked beaten body who dreams of eyeballs and white plump helmets. It's rumored he is now a fatty.

Players: PM me an album for each theme.
Do this punctually please.
I will proceed when most or all players are accounted for.
Players: Vote when I have presented our players choices.

Righteous Retaliation
This day, The Tribunal demands to explore the positive side of Metal. Take us on a journey to a world where the Good and the Righteous prevail. Lets us not confuse this with omnibenevolent foolishness; The side of good need not be wretchedly saccharine. Instead show us Purity At Its Strongest. Show us the art of White Magic. Or perhaps you know of a sincere and wondrous story with an ending that is victorious for Good? Another option; Show us a sound where the forces of Good, or its Champion, oppose the dark and tragically fail. But we demand a fierce fight from the side of the White. Warriors of the Your Move Arena, can you see past your blood soaked visors to a land of White, Purity, and Victory?

Yog Sothothery
Quote by David E. Schultz
Lovecraft himself humorously referred to his mythos as "Yog Sothothery"

It was only a matter of time until The Tribunal answered the Call of Cthulhu. It is now our urge to traverse the Mountains of Madness Beyond the Walls of Sleep. We have supped on the teets of our mother, The Goat of a Thousand Young for many a generation and now have matured to where we believe you Your Move Arena combatants can handle this Cosmically Colossal theme. This theme is to be judged most harshly as this theme is filled with pretenders and false, any album in this theme must be of the highest caliber. Take us to Dark Cosmic Entities, speak to us in Tongues That Urge Madness Come Forth, and propel forth your Sonic Warfare With Impossible Geometry.

I'a! I'a! Cthulhu Fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Subzero
Is it cold in here, or is it just me? It could be colder...

Let us conjure the sounds of purest frost and unholy extremities in temperature. This can be in the form of physical cold where we thrive in a blizzard of unmatched strengths and we watch as the world freezes over in our Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultimate End. Or we can interpret this as an inner Cold, one where our inner limbs succumb to a mental frostbite as our eyes glaze over with the Cold of the Dead and we begin to fail at giving off the warmth and light of a living being. Let us create a Tempest of Frost to blanket the world, or let us become Cold And Dead inside in a far too temperate world!

La Femme Malefica
Before the Monotheistic War God of the Euphrates and Tigris, before Man's conquest and before "God" declared the female flesh to be a gate of Blasphemy, the Female was the single strongest spiritual and physical force in the human world. A birth giver, a sage, a druid, a creator, and a spiritual force of power; The Female took many considerable form.

In this admittedly obtuse theme, The Tribunal demands to explore an album whose worship of the Female in her many forms is unmatched. We can taste her potent brew of witchcraft on our pallet as we speak; We can smell her sexual magics in her succubi strengths; And We can hear her siren call from her tongues unmatched in the world of men.

Confuse this theme not. This theme is not solely for the purpose of The Female as an opposite of man nor as a source of the delicate and the quaint. Remember that it was the Judeo Christian "God" who decreed The Female Form to be dangerous and the key to the gate of bedevilment and Sin!

Players PM me your choices. If momentum is built, more themes will be declared.
As always feel free to PM me theme request.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Players don't need to rejoin each time. If I gave you an introduction, you are free to play every tournament. Just submit your album choices via PM. If I do not receive submissions from you in a timely manner, you could be left out of the current bracket.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Wild Child

Righteous Retaliation - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

Yog-Sothothery - Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth

Subzero - Biosphere - Substrata

LFM - Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan

Progbass

righteous retaliation - Conan The Barbarian OST by Basil Pouledaris

yog sothery - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth by Chthe'ilist

subzero - Far Away From the Sun by Sacramentum

La Femme Malefica - Sacrilege's 'Behind the Realms of Madness'
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 5, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Kepulix

Righteousretaliation - Windir - Arntor

In Windir's world of righteousness, tradition prevails. Only it doesn't, and the ending is tragic. More importantly, the truly tragic thing is that we are ourselves currently living in this modern age, marked by consumerism and empty values. The album has moments of triumph and empowerment, and it's these moments that I chose this album for. Windir's Arntor stands heads and shoulders above the leagues of terrible, bastardized folk metal. Valfar, not unlike Quorthon, stood for something pure and good. Take heed.

yogsothothery -Paul Roland - Re-Animator

Here is a man who has for decades put the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, Jules Verne et cetera into beautiful aural form, with his own British twist. The master of weird-pop/rock, Paul Roland. This particular album is wholly dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft. Light up your gaslamp and let Paul Roland guide you to the world of the Old Ones.

subzero - Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee

It hits like a freezing blizzard. Then there are calmer moments when you might think to yourself "Oh, freezing to death isn't so bad way to die after all". Then it hits like a freezing blizzard again.

lafemmemalefica - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

"On a strong white bull, the goddess rides.
In the darkest night twelve stars will rise."

The men, they look up to the three-fold goddess. They ask for guidance, they ask for protection. She is wise and she is great. To the faithful she will unveil herself.

"And the goddess on a white bull - though she never left - returns."

Righteous Retaliation
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic

Yog Sothothery
Cianide - The Dying Truth

Subzero
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland

La Femme Malefica
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
KytoKENisis

Righteous Retaliation:
Lords of the Crimson Alliance - Lords of the Crimson Alliance

Yog Sothothery:
Dødsengel - Dødsengel

Subzero: Mayhem -
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

La Femme Malefica:
Slander - Careless Talk Costs Lives

Emenius Sleepus

===========================================
righteous retaliation: manilla road - crystal logic "There's good and there's evil, there's no in-between; For we shall slay evil with lo-giic!" The Codex has spoken of the Hero... He knew no sleep and no peace, for his road was always full of thorns. And everywhere his boots left their mark, so did his crystal sword. The forces of darkness knew no mercy from its blade.

===============================================
yog sothothery: thergothon - Fhtagn-Nagh Yog-Sothoth "... from the angular opening, the tendrils appeared, flailing in hunger and malevolence... they seemed to bring about a malignant darkness that absorbed the thin rays of the sun and returned nothing... a choking, bubbling whisper poured out of the hole - "Innsmouth, " - it pronounced, " - your home awaits!"

sub-zero: enslaved - frost This land was frozen before it could bear out its fertile promise. Angular glaciers, rocky cliffs and nine mountains thrusting their peaks upwards like spears - this was a harsh and unforgiving country. And if one was to get to the top of each, he would find a horse's skull encrowing a staff - a cursing gaze for each of the nine worlds...

la femme malefica: jex thoth - witness
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Severed Metal

Righteous Retaliation:

Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision

I don't even know what to say about A Crystal Vision, other than it being the prime example of a king possessed by light and the goodness of people, to right the wrongs of past kingdoms. Only to be defeated, BROUGHT BACK AS A ****ING SPIRIT AND EXACTING HIS REVENGE. ON WHO? WE DON'T KNOW. ISN'T THAT THE BEST PART? Headbangers only.

Yog Sothothery:

Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth Demo As I've never read a single work by Lovecraft, I was baffled and scared when I came across this category. What should it have been, Shub Niggurath? Catacombs? Probably. I should read more books.

Sub-Zero:

Lifelover - Konkurs This album embodies the feeling of cold, of senseless void devoid of any warmth. To be alone, fragile and weak. To be among the city streets in without a soul beside you, and only the smoldering of your own burning dimly to aid in whatever heat it can gather to further your desolation.

La Femme Malefica

Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth No comment. The ancient magick speaks to one sister of the Earth, whispered to her ear the future of her journey. This journey begins with Jex Thoth. This is about strength in the female form. The earth belongs to all, yet she presides over it with power and devotion, love and nurturing. The true essence of woman.

The Virtuoso

Righteous Retaliation:
Orphaned Land-The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR

Yog Sothothery:
Portal-Outre'

Subzero:
Imperial Crystalline Entombment-Apocalyptic End in White

La Femme Malefica:
Atlantean Kodex-The White Goddess
'
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Powerslave

Righteous Retaliation Axehammer - Windrider.
The most enjoyable album I've ever listened to. The epitome of righteous, empowering metal. St and Up and Fight!

Yog Sothothery
Graveyard - The Sea Grave

A monstrous death metal album that absorbs one into the world of HP Lovecraft. This was one of my favorites of 2013 and it certainly fits here.

Subzero
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike

Pure Norweigan Chill.

La Femme Malefica Antediluvian -
Through the Cervix of Hawaah

Helloween4Ever

Righteous Retaliation
Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess.
Nothing more White Magick than Atlantean Kodex. Glorious, Pure, metal.

Yog Sothothery
Puteraeon - The Esoteric Order.
Esoteric madness, dripping with Lovecraft influence. A Boss OSDM sounding album.

Subzero
Wedard - Eiskrieg II
Could have gone with the obvious Immortal choice, but I felt like going with a lesser known album. Fits more of the internal cold idea.

Cormorant - Metazoa.
This album has the feminine sound that I feel fits the theme, but also has a subtle ancient feel which takes me back to when VG was talking about
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
ChemicalFire

Righteous Retaliation - The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

Yog Sothothery - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth

Subzero - Bathory - Nordland II

La Femme Malefica - Christian Mistress - Possession

This our LAST and FINAL player. Sorry! Not really fukk off!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
A list of all the submissions this round:

#righteousretaliation
The Wildchild - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
progbass - Basil Pouledaris - Conan The Barbarian OST
Kepulix - Windir - Arntor
Hoodoo Man - Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Kytokinesis - Lords of the Crimson Alliance - Lords of the Crimson Alliance
Emenius Sleepus - Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
severed-metal - Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision
The Virtuoso - Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
\Powerslave/ - Axehammer - Windrider
Helloween4Ever - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
ChemicalFire - The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

#yogsothothery
The Wildchild - Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
progbass - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth
Kepulix - Paul Roland - Re-Animator
Hoodoo Man - Cianide - The Dying Truth
Kytokinesis - Dødsengel - Dødsengel
Emenius Sleepus - Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
severed-metal - Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
The Virtuoso - Portal - Outre'
\Powerslave/ - Graveyard - The Sea Grave
Helloween4Ever - Puteraeon - The Esoteric Order
ChemicalFire - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth

#subzero
The Wildchild - Biosphere - Substrata
progbass - Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Kepulix - Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee
Hoodoo Man - Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland
Kytokinesis - Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Emenius Sleepus - Enslaved - Frost
severed-metal - Lifelover - Konkurs
The Virtuoso - Imperial Crystalline Entombment - Apocalyptic End in White
\Powerslave/ - Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Helloween4Ever - Wedard - Eiskrieg II
ChemicalFire - Bathory - Nordland II

#lafemmemalefica
The Wildchild - Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan
progbass - Sacrilege - Behind the Realms of Madness
Kepulix - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Hoodoo Man - Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Kytokinesis - Slander - Careless Talk Costs Lives
Emenius Sleepus - Jex Thoth - Witness
severed-metal - Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth
The Virtuoso - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
\Powerslave/ - Antediluvian - Through the Cervix of Hawaah
Helloween4Ever - Cormorant - Metazoa
ChemicalFire - Christian Mistress - Possession
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Righteous Retaliation

The Wildchild, Helloween4Ever - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

Perfect album for this theme and it shows with two people picking it. Lyrically and sonically it captures the feel I had in mind when creating this theme; which was victory for the light, hope for the future and just an overall positive feel. It also does something else I was hoping to find in this theme, which was a subtle sense of... shall I call it a feeling of doubt?

And I saw brothers fighting, not for honour but for gold
Enthralled by foreign agents like cattle we are sold
Oh goddess grant me an answer! Pray, make me understand!
Will the brothers fight forever? Can they be as one again?

This is something I feel like forces of purity and righteousness should struggle with. Makes it more believable and enjoyable.

Not only a wonderful pick for this theme but something I don't listen to near enough! Nothing beats an OST that kicks this much ass. Many moments on this album conjure up this theme with sounds of conquering landscapes and foe, riding great distances in grand horizons... Makes me nostalgic for good books, the movie and Everquest. That's a righteous feeling.

Hoodoo Man, Emenius Sleepus - Manilla Road - Crystal Logic

If this album was not represented in this theme, I would have shut her down on the spot. This theme would be empty without this album! Lyrics that espouse the way of holiness and righteousness! Riffs that force your steed into a gallop in the charge of Good! Package that in a album with unreal slabs of the One True Metal, and you have one fukking righteous contender.

Sonically a favorite of mine. Lyrically and sonically fits the theme, though when compared to Crystal Logic it feels like "Righteous Heavy/Power Metal" is represented less ambiguously than found here. Don't get me wrong, this album is overall positive and good, but it's not nearly as White and Righteous as the cause found on Crystal Logic. Lords of the Crimson Alliance is much more High Fantasy Questing then the Wichita boys.

Pretty much in the same boat as Lords of the Crimson Alliance. Sonically bad ass but ultimate trumped theme wise. I feel like A Crystal Vision is overall more righteous then the Crimson boys, but still can't reach Crystal Logic.

Logic trumps Vision.

I'm afraid my ears are not too keen on this sound. Lyrically the album seems to hope for peace, which fits the theme.

Same boat as Orphaned Land, though I think Orphaned Land takes it between the two as far as theme goes.

Great pick for the theme. Solid sound. Doesn't scream at me to vote for it, though.

I love this album for this theme. We have seen the Heavy Metal Righteousness represented by the forces of justice found on The White Goddess and Crystal Logic, but Arntor is something else. Yet it is just as fitting. This is everything the best of Scandinavia's early Black Metal scene embodied with awe of nature, the beauty of raw wild, the forgotten landscapes of other times... And those leads...

Yet this theme paints in kind strokes. Less fury and more elation. Yet those times are lost and dead, a thought that can be felt in the "doubt" that I mentioner with the White Goddess. Except here in Arntor that feeling is much more prevalent and ingrained in the sound.

And yet somehow the Righteous prevails in this album. With a sound that overwhelms that "doubt," with the Good this theme aims for, Arntor was definitely a heavyweight contender. Especially since Valfar and his very music writing itself were very much like Arntor in this respect. Positive music by a positive person. And to have Valfar and Windir's history end in the tragic way it did, it really drives home in the feels department.

I vote for Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
I judged them based around my perceptions of how the theme should be carried out and how well they conformed to the guideline or something that really caught my attention and made me see the title idea another way. Anyways, if you're interested why I didn't pick yours, PM me. If you're ok with it, that's cool and you're cool. Narrowed each down to three.

#righteousretaliation

For this theme I felt that first and foremost it needed a sound reminiscent of purity, and secondly, the lyrics had to coincide with a feeling of wholeness. This could be taken as something of a more conventional purity, pertaining to religion (such as with Virtuoso's pick) or something more likened to an imaginative world of fantasy indulged in by Progbass' choice.

My top three picks were Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess, Manilla Road - Crystal Logic, & the Conan the Barbarian OST. While all of them managed to secure a lovely place in my heart as some of the best music I have yet to hear, a winner has to be chosen.

Manilla Road have the lyrical content down perfectly pat, however the music seems too fast paced with more of a focus on writing a good riff than having the main focus of the story. Many good riffs though. Seriously one of the best albums ever.

Conan the Barbarian had me going back through some of the Conan comics, movies and books which allowed to me relate to the storyline and fully experience what Progbass might have been going for. Unfortunately I just didn't sense what Progbass had felt with this soundtrack, but it still made top 3 because of the journeys present.

Atlantean Kodex's The White Goddess had everything I could have ever asked for. What a masterfully crafted album detailed with fine golden edges that both awe and intercept thought. But ultimately, Crystal Logic sets the standard.

My choice is Manilla Road - Crystal Logic.

#yogsothothery

The album had to be very dark, something unique that carried the feeling that Lovecraft was going for. I had the chance to read some of his short stories which I hope conveyed the same emotions that the theme was going for, so with that in mind...

Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth was a pick I was thinking about, however, I picked it so I decided against choosing it. I don't think I would have chosen it anyways in all honesty.

Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth is a demo that I figured was interesting enough. It has its moments of bludgeoning synth and chants but I felt it was a little too focused on appealing to death metal fanatics. Demilich inspired so it's still very good.

Portal's Outre. I contemplated on this album, I listened to a few times to get the feeling because I've always found them to be a little overrated until you hear tracks like Black Houses or Omnipotent Crawling Chaos that detail just how well this album can fit the description of horror.

My choice is Portal - Outre'

#subzero

Another tough one because of the many good picks. There was a lot of consideration due, but mostly I felt that the picks were too focused on being fast-paced. The coldest it has ever been is when the air is tense and still, laying motionless as if time itself has succumbed to hypothermia.

Top 3 are Biosphere's Substara, Wedard's Eiskrieg II, & Enslaved's Frost.

Biosphere had the plodding sections of nothingness, and the Twin Peaks parts always held my attention. Poa Alpina is very bubbly cold which I didn't see much else of, definitely a stand out among the rest of the albums.

Wedard's Eiskrieg II was really interesting. While it can be fast paced at times, the reverb soaked vocals played into the winter atmosphere while the riffs kind of stayed background and made the feeling more hazy.

Enslaved's Frost was really neat. Never bothered with early Enslaved before and I don't know why. Although I felt the subject matter might have done better in another category perhaps since it's mostly viking talk. Vikings were cold or something, I have no idea. It's late as I write this.

I choose Biosphere - Substrata

#lafemmamalefica

The most difficult category because I only had one idea in mind when as I listened to the albums. Some were more subtle with their female worship, and some liked it all the way through the album. But once I had an idea, I went with my gut on it. Only picked two albums.

Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan. While this may not seem like an album that forms the theme in question, there is a certain subtlety behind it that shows clear. This work of beauty shows the female form at its best and most expressionistic. It doesn't cater to any constraints but just speaks in a proud voice to the listener. That's as pretentious as I'm getting.

Jex Thoth's The Witness, while me and Emenius both picked Jex Thoth I find that I couldn't necessarily give up the chance to re-listen to Witness and see how well the theme matched it. However, I found that due to how short it was and the cover song, it seemed to kind of stretch outside.

I choose Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan.
Last edited by severed-metal at Mar 2, 2014,
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
#righteousretaliation

The Wildchild - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Perfect album. embodies the theme so well that I picked it myself.

Absolutely amazing score for an amazing movie. Glorious and good.

My favourite Windir album. At first I wasn't sure if I heard the righteousness (haha) in it, but after a while it shown through.

Hoodoo Man, Emenius Sleepus - Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Manilla Road are one of those bands that I don't listen to often, but when I do I do for hours on end. Great band, and this theme seems to have a ton of USPM. Never a bad thing. Fits the theme fairly well.

DEADLY. The spoken word intros always make me smile. Classic battle between good and evil, great pick.

Another sweet pick. Two Powers fits the theme almost to a tee.

Reminds me a bit of Isahn's solo stuff, which I wasn't a big fan of. Not feeling the righteousness either.

Sweet album, never heard of these guys. Fun stuff, fits the theme well.

Never been a big fan of DTS, this album is no different. Don't really feel the connection to this theme, either.

my top 3:

I'm not gonna vote for an album that I've picked, so

I'm going with: progbass - Basil Pouledaris - Conan The Barbarian OST

Will edit with the rest within the next day or two.

HELLEDIT: I've been sick as a dog, so here are my choices without reasoning.

#yogsothothery
The Wildchild, Emenius Sleepus, severed-metal: Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth

#subzero
severed-metal: Lifelover - Konkurs

#lafemmemalefica
Hoodoo Man: Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Last edited by Helloween4Ever at Mar 2, 2014,
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Votes

I'm giving it to The White Goddess

#lafemmamalefica
no brainer. Mercyful Fate's Melissa

#subzero
After long deliberation, I am actually going with Snowland

#yogthothery
Thergothen gets it
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Last edited by progbass at Mar 1, 2014,
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
#righteousretaliation
Power metal was always going to dominate this one, because it is all about triumph, glory and heroism. All of the power metal albums, along with Arntor, fit perfectly into a sense of heroic deeds and a triumph of good over evil.

I adore the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack because of its ability to turn a couple of people riding across a field into an epic quest for glory, but it isn't quite 'righteous' enough to take the top spot. It is triumphant but not specifically morally good, much like the eponymous Conan.

I chose Crystal Logic myself because I felt it fit the theme than any other album, but I also considered The White Goddess for its purity and celebration of european culture. Rather than vote for Crystal Logic, then, I will vote for The White Goddess, because it was a close second in my original choice and a sense of fair play is in keeping with the theme.

I vote for Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess

#yogsothothery
Re-Animator was interesting for me because I had never heard of it before. The lyrical focus on Lovecraft is undeniable, and the music is certainly 'weird', evoking the shadowy streets of Arkham its strange denizens, but I can't quite bring myself to vote for something that doesn't sound like it emerges slime covered from eldritch dimensions.

Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth was something I considered myself, with its Demilich influenced twisted geometries and nameless horrors, but I wanted something more cavernous.

Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth managed to be everything I imagined. I hadn't heard this demo before, although I had heard their full length, and I could immediately see why it was chosen by three people. It is vast and subterranian, and also inhuman in its twisted riffs and lurking fear. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I vote for Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth

#subzero
Substrata has a glacial sound, far from human influence, that would have won if it were not in such esteemed company. Similarly Nordland II was a great choice, embodying viking raids across icy northern seas, but there is a particular subgenre of metal that excels here as no other can.

I wasn't the only person who went with grim, frostbitten black metal for this, and I struggled to decide between Far Away From the Sun, De Mysteriis Dom. Sathanas and Frost. In the end I decided to go with Frost, because it isn't simply cold, it sounds like war drums resounding between the jagged ice crystals of a frozen northern wasteland.

I vote for Enslaved - Frost

#lafemmemalefica
This theme gave me by far the most trouble. Several people went with albums with female vocals, which certainly works by placing women at the front of the hunting party, but the music itself doesn't necessarily have a feminine theme. Witness is perhaps the most clear in this sense, both lyrically and because of its less warlike edge, although I preferred Behind the Realms of Madness and Possession overall.

Careless Talk Costs Lives has lyrical themes that work, but it almost seems to define femininity as an opponent.

Metazoa reins in its abrasive attack at times for more delicate caresses, but that perhaps seems feminine simply in contrast to the generally more masculine nature of metal.

The white Goddess appears again, and it certainly works in its depiction of Europe as the titular goddess. She is a paragon of the female form and a mother to all of her people.

The Litanies of Satan, appropriately enough, sounds like the invocation of a high priestess in some hidden cult. This could be viewed as a deliberate reversal of the male dominance of christian rituals and a suggestion of the dangerous hidden knowledge of women.

I knew instantly why Through the Cervix of Hawaah had been chosen when I saw it, because the same thought had occurred to me. It is organic and womblike, giving a sense of the earth mother in pagan traditions mixed with a demonic strain descending, perhaps, from Lilith in jewish tradition. It's a very interesting choice, which just puts it ahead of the others.

I vote for Antediluvian - Through the Cervix of Hawaah
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
Righteous Retaliation

Basil Poledouris - Conan the Barbarian

Yog-Sothothery

Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth

Subzero

Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland

La Femme

Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
#righteousretaliation
Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR

#yogsothothery

#subzero
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

#lafemmemalefica
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,905 IQ
Reserved for my picks. Since this is being extended through the weekend, I am going to take a little more time so I can have a quick write up for my picks. I'll try to have them up sometime tomorrow.

#righteousretaliation

Basil Pouledaris - Conan The Barbarian OST

There were some magnificent picks for this theme, and I think it was definitely one of the most difficult ones for me to pick an album. However, this man looked Thulsa Doom in the face, the face of the abyss, and he cut off his head and threw it down the steps of a sacred temple. He is the Nietschean Ubermensch who conquered the abyss and created his own righteousness with blood and steel.

#yogsothothery

This is just the perfect album for this theme. There were a lot of other good choices, but how do you match something that was written specifically for this sound?!? Lovecrafts gods were monolithic and lumbering agents of abysmal darkness. This album captures that essence.

#subzero

Enslaved-Frost

Just listen to the opening of the album. It is the sound of icicles forming, and snow falling on the ground. This album represents cold as only a Norseman could.

#lafemmemalefica

Antediluvian-Through the Cervix of Hawaah

I really, really wanted to choose Jex Thoth, Christian Mistress, or Mercyful Fate for this category, but this album just slightly edges them out. Jex Thoth and Christian Mistress have the female vocals and the occult lyrics, but I can't help but just think of dirty hippies reading Aleister Crowley, having orgies around a bonfire, and thinking they are enlightened in light of some gnostic paganism. Mercyful Fate is great, but I don't get more than just "there is a witch named Melissa." This album represents a cosmic egg of chaos before time and the womb of the world; it is the primordial mother, and I find this choice to be an interesting take on the theme.

Fantastic job everyone.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Mar 1, 2014,
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
#righteousretaliation
The Wildchild & Helloween4Ever - Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
No one should question why this album is here. A rejection of meaningless modernity in the form of epic heavy metal. It's beautiful and pure.

"Crom… I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many."

I love this OST and the story behind it all. Conan to me represents more ambiguous righteousness. Great pick anyhow.

Hoodoo Man & Emenius Sleepus - Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Out of all the albums picked this round of Your Move across all the themes, this is the one that I have listened to the most. A classic of the highest tier, for sure. Certainly fits the theme as well.

"If thee be pure of mind never give up the fight"

I really like this album, but can it stand up there with the three preceding albums that were so damn good? It's up there close, but not quite.

This album is great. There are aspects of this album that I think really fit the theme, but unfortunately also some rare moments that do not.

I can see why this was picked, but I think it falls short when compared to the preceding albums. There were some good moments in this album, but like countless other "progressive" metal bands, it's not coherent enough to my liking.

"Stand up and fight for your soul!" Well I can definitely get behind that attitude. There are a couple really kickass tracks here, but unfortunately some others just fall into the average territory of "solid".

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, as I can't quite see how this fits the theme. Not really a fan of the music either.
There are a few outstanding albums for the theme here, but for me Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess comes out on top.

#yogsothothery
The Wildchild & Emenius Sleepus & severed-metal - Thergothon - Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth
Well, this was an expected one. Funeral doom has never been close to my heart, but this is one of the rare albums that excel in the genre. Despite the obvious connections to the theme, frankly I don't think it reeks all that much of a Lovecraftian universe sonically.

progbass & ChemicalFire - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth
Another obvious one, and the one that I would have probably picked had I chosen a metal album for the theme. Right amounts of murkiness, menacing ambience and organic chaos. An outstanding choice for the theme.

Hoodoo Man - Cianide - The Dying Truth
A really solid album, but a bit too… generic sounding for the theme, me thinks.

Kytokinesis - Dødsengel - Dødsengel

I love Dødsengel, I really do. However I always get a vibe of transcendence off their music, rather than one of inexplicable and unfathomable cosmic horrors.

The Virtuoso - Portal - Outre'
Prior to this, I had never really been able to appreciate Portal. This time it just clicked. The album sounds like one organic, monstrous entity morphing before an unfortunate watcher's eyes. Chaotic, violent and mysterious.

\Powerslave/ - Graveyard - The Sea Grave
I had to check twice that these guys were really from Spain. This thing plunges forward with the same frame of mind as some early Swedish death metal. Thematically and lyrically very fitting, but musically I was hoping for something more chaotic and unrestrained.

Helloween4Ever - Puteraeon - The Esoteric Order
They certainly got the lyrical theme down. What about the sonical side of things? Well, it certainly sounds really Swedish. Frankly, I think if you changed all the lyrics, you wouldn't really be able to place this album here. It's a fun album.
After a long period of deliberation, I have decided to give my vote to Portal - Outre'.

#subzero
I won't go album by album this time. Surely the easiest theme this time around and that means consistently great albums. In the end for me it came down to Bathory and Sorcier des Glaces. Nordland II is quite possibly the coldest Bathory album. I can feel the winds of frozen wastes blasting through the speakers. On the other hand the Sorcier des Glaces album does something right in its depiction of desolate and unforgiving winter.
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland is void of any warmth whatsoever, and thus gets my vote.

#lafemmemalefica
This was the most difficult theme to conceive and it shows in the uneven submissions. In the case of few of the albums, the desirable femininity isn't represented in much more ways than the form of a female vocalist. For some others I wasn't entirely sure why they were chosen. While I would like to vote for The White Goddess here, I shall go with something else. Diamanda Galas' The Litanies of Satan could've only been recorded by a woman, and what an album it is. It's not something I would really find myself listening to often at all, but it's really powerful. It reminds me of old Japanese ghost stories involving ghosts of the feminine form that were wronged in their time of living.
I give my vote to Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix at Mar 1, 2014,
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
1,005 IQ
#righteous
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic.

Lots of great choices, and between the White Goddess and CL it was a very close call, but the lyrics of Crystal Logic suit the theme to a tee, and the way the music is written and played gives it a sense of urgency that made it a stronger contender

#yogsothothery

This one was the hardest to pick, and I've actually considered Chthe'ilist and Portal myself (Portal could be a poster band for this kind of theme, the association is just so natural); however the slow malignant gloom of the Thergothon's demo with its unraveling, abandon-all-hope compositions, felt like it reflected the atmosphere ever-so-slightly better.

#subzero

Biosphere - Substrata

What an excellent album; it's been a long-time favourite before the contest, and represents this theme brilliantly. Motionless frozen expanses, over which blow the eternal freezing winds. I was glad to see it on the list; definitely my favourite there.

#lafemme

Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth

Hmmm... resisting the temptation to pick Witness (it is a bit short but JT was essentially an instant pick the moment I read the theme. Witness really is a bit short, even though the tracks on it are outstanding, - so it had to be the self-titled. VG put it quite nicely: "This is about strength in the female form. The earth belongs to all, yet she presides over it with power and devotion, love and nurturing. The true essence of woman. "

"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior
2,722 IQ
Quickie votes, sorry no write up gents!

#Righteous
Crystal Mothafukkin Logic

#Yoggy
Portal - Outre

#SubZero
Enslaved - Frost

#Femme
Goblinbot
10 IQ
#Righteous

#Yogsothery
Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth

#LaFemme
Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan
Last edited by Goblinbot at Mar 4, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
#subzero

I am the honorary tie breaker between Sorcier des Glaces and Enslaved when it comes to cold as ****.

I think I'm going to have to pick Sorcier des Glaces. In terms of sheer unrelenting cold I believe it eeks out the victory. Frost may have more ice covered trees and glacial expanses, but Snowland is just pure fukking cold on all fronts.

This theme was competitive as all fukking hell gents. Well done!

#lafemmamalefica

I feel like Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan just dominates this theme in pure Femme form. It's not Metal but it sounds like what a Metal album would be like if it tried to capture unbridled Female potency in its wildest form. Like an ancient shaman invoking the Vaginal Goddess Cunte, this piece blew me away in how well it fits with the theme.

I'm voting for Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 4, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
The Tribunal Has Spoken!
The Winner of this bloody battle of souls is....

The WildChild!

A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 4, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Players: PM me an album for each theme.
Do this punctually please.
I will proceed when most or all players are accounted for.
Vote when I have presented our players choices.

UG Tag Team Champion
HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION DUNCANG APPEARS!

"Oh yeah! Today you greased up monkeys better shape up to men cuz let me tell you folks, I'm unjustifiably in a position I'd rather not be in; Witnessing you sorry ass pencil necks making claims to thrones your bony ass' can't handle. Yeeeaaah I've seen your rasslin and let me tell you something... I ain't impressed. Oh but the cream will rise to the top. Oh yeah! I am the cream of UG! The cream of the UG crop! Duncang Madness oh yes, we're doing this my way...

You think your moment of glory is here, but it is mine!

My challenge to you, me, the Cream of the Crop, I challenge you to present two Metal fukking albums that are the ULTIMATE TAG TEAM CHAMPION of the World! Now let me splain, see... You want to show me and my boys The Tribunal two albums that work together coherently and flawlessly.. yeah. Two amigos, two peas in a pod. I'm talking two albums that share music aesthetics, mechanics, lyrics and all the ics you can think of! Yeah! Now listen to me good, these albums best impress us all with their synchronized Musicianship in such a way that even the most casual of listeners can pick up the similarities without prior knowledge of it even existing.

My belt is on the line, my cream is on the line, and you look like a sorry crop UG... Show us your Tag Team Champions!"

Explained:
Alright here's the tag team theme explained without my inner Duncang being used.

Each player needs to submit two albums that are stylistically, aesthetically and just overall musically similar. The goal is to submit two albums that, despite being by two different artist, are one in the same. They have lyrical subject matter that is similar, they write music in the same manner and use similar means to express their musical ideas.

Example;

Album A is Black Metal using a lot of arpeggios, acoustic instrumentation, folk music and 10 minute songs about bunnies and carrots.

Album B is Black Metal that also uses folk instruments and folky acoustics and also sings about bunnies and carrots.

Both albums sound like bunnies and carrots and both albums achieve this in a similar fashion.

Of course there are multiple ways to interpret two albums working together as well. Maybe they have a theme between each other? Perhaps there are two albums that sound exactly like Road Warrior? Well shit, then you have a Road Warrior tag team. Or perhaps you have two albums that worship Aleister Crowley through their music in a very similar manner?

We are looking for TWO albums by TWO artist that are ONE in the same. Hence, a tag team.

Also something I didn't mention that is very important

You have to name your tag team.

Explain what makes them such a good tag team.

Here is my example;

Strapping Young Carnivores

SYL - City
Carnivore - Retaliation

Both albums have themes of self loathing, cynical vitriol and a feeling of being in shitty modern times. They accomplish spreading this message with an amalgamation of thrashy riffs, pissed vocals with frustrated lyrics and an atmosphere of doubt and suicidal tendencies.

Quote by SYL - City
How did I get here tonight?
What am I doing here?
How did I reach this state?
How did I lose my sight?

I'm lost... I'm freaking
And everybody knows... everyone's watching

...So here's all my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, it's so lonely...

Quote by Carnivore - Retaliation
I shit my pants as I wait for the reaper
Lie in fetal position
Tears stream down my cheeks
As I call for my mother and say an act of contrition
We'll fight this war with germs and atoms
Destroy our only home
Our mutated descendants battle the next with sticks and stones

This is only an example and hence not my strongest submission but a valid one nonetheless!

Heavy As A Very Heavy Thing
This album needs to be huge.
This albums needs to be heavy.
This album needs breadth.

This album needs to look Atlas square in the eye and exclaim, "Do you even lift bro?"

Now let me be clear, "Heavy" is thrown around way too much by Metal listeners. When I say Heavy in this context, I mean literal weight, size and mass. This album should go beyond merely having the conventional "heavy" sound to be found on any old Metal release. This album must transcend the aforementioned conventions of the genre to a new level. The sound we are looking for cannot be defined as a new pedestal of Heavy, for any pedestal should crumble beneath these albums!

Now let us consider heavy... Shall you present an album whose Heaviness should be weighed by sheer physical presence? A cosmically large beast of immeasurable magnitude? Or perhaps you can take another route, an album who drags you down to deepest depths from some anguished emotional weight... Perhaps an album that gives new meaning to "feeling low." Even yet, some spiritual realization in which you are left void of any uplifting soul. The proverbial pair of concrete blocks tied to your feet. A loathsome low...

Than again, there is something to be said for the HEAVIEST riffs possible...

The choice is yours. Make Atlas buckle beneath your weight.

Now It's Dark
Let us assume the form of nocturnal creatures, lunar forces and night terrors. The Tribunal demands an album who marks the descent of the sun and the ascension of the moon. This album is expected to cause night to fall upon its listener regardless of its surroundings. Dark...

Night takes many forms. The moonlit wilderness, the open starlit seas, a journey at nightfall... This need not be the Dark you immediately associate with the Total Death of Metal, though that is applicable here. Consider the many shades and hues of Night, the plethora of nocturnal experiences felt around our dusk lit world. Romanticized Night, Deadly Dark, Obfuscated Shadows, Nocturnal Worship....

Can you present us an album that will indeed transport our listeners to Night?

Players PM me your choices. If momentum is built, more themes will be declared.
As always feel free to PM me theme request.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 5, 2014,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ

Tag Team Champion
Night Sky over Asa Bay
Bathory - Hammerheart
Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power

There are many albums that pay tribute to the ancient men of the north, but these two share one heart. They are built on the steady rhythm of a dragonship's oars, the salt smell of the sea, and the roar of thunder overhead. The riffs, the pace and the stories they tell come from a common source, as echoes of something timeless.

Heavy as a Very Heavy Thing
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

"Can you hear the sound of an enormous door slamming in the depths of hell?"

The suject matter of this album is oppressively heavy. It confronts the terrifying reality of the apocalypse without flinching, which makes it a truly harrowing experience. And the riffs are heavy as fukk.

Now It's Dark
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

"The dream descends to the region of moon,
To the land, the sphere of eternal sin,
A half light, dark the realm of Nanna,
The realm of spirits,
And the father of the gods,
Oh, shine of moon, of the astral gods,
It ravishes, it calls us to sin..."

Emenius Sleepus

Tag Team
Svartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral
Dodsengel - Imperator

Often considered these two complementary in many ways - like two soldiers, - one curt, fighting with a club and straight to the point, the other - elaborate moves, sharp sword and illusions; matter and spirit, but with one burning chaotic heart.

Heavy
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Was an immediate contender the moment I saw the themes. Feels like a spike-decorated freight train that has just left your body in shreds. Clean guitar parts, you say? - That's blood seeping between the rocks.

Dark
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Midnight Black Earth.

Exemplifies the Night for me. Not in a malignant, gloomy or romantic sense - it is the dark's purest essence, the velvet shawl that drapes the world around it into unbeing.

The Wildchild, La Supremo Befouler

Tag Team
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Satan - Court in the Act

Two albums that wring out the devil's essence from the riff.

Heavy
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Everything you have ever cared for has been swallowed by fire...

Dark
Demoncy - Joined In Darkness

KytoKENesis

Tag Team:
Futuristic Gods of War

Voivod - Killing Technology
Nocturnus - Thresholds

The future is full of terror. Technology is now God
and it is exploited for power and control. Controlling the weather,
controlling people, imprisoning people, killing people... Both of these
albums portray the horrors resulting from the worship of and submission to
advanced technology and those with the will to harness it. The two albums
each use their own flavor of savage, technical riffage to evoke similar images,
from death reigning down from the sky via plasma powered star ships
to mind control and mass subjugation. The technical and progressive aspects
applied to the thrash and death styles of these bands results in an atmosphere with a true sense of urgency and uneasiness.

Heavy As A Very Heavy Thing:
Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea

Now It's Dark:
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry

High Lord Vicar Kepulix of The House of Doom

Tag Team
Path To Godhood
Dødsengel - Imperator
Urfaust - Der freiwillige Bettler

Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing:
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

"No more time, no more breath
No more hope, no more dawn
Only void"

Now It's Dark:
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Black Earth

Progbass

Tag Team
"WARMASTER"
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Sodom - Persecution Mania

uniting Massacra's Final Holocaust with Sodom's Persecution Mania. Because nothing is more metal than the eternal struggle of war.

Heavy as a really heavy thing
Godflesh's Streetcleaner

Night
Burzum's Filosofem

Rg_metal

Tag Team
Persian *****s
Ravi Shankar - Improvisations
Melechesh - The Epigenesis

I wanted to go with something "exotic sounding"
I wanted to connect Ravi Shankar with something metal.
Behold: Persian *****s

Heavy as a very heavy thing:
Catacombs - In the Depths of R'Lyeh

What is heavier than being in the midst of Chthulhu him/itself?

Now It's Dark
At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness

Its even in the title of the album... this album relies solely on your sonar perception to fully understand.

The Virtuso

Tag Team
Slough Feg-Digital Resistance and Voivod-Killing Technology

Now It's Dark
Dødsengel-Imperator.

Heavy as a very Heavy Thing
Disembowelment-Transcendence into the Peripheral

\PowerSlave/

Tag Team
Trist:
Gris - Il Etait Une Foret
Sombres Forets - Quintessence

Heavier than a Heavy Thing:
Warning - Watching From a Distance

Darkness:
Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul

Helloween4Ever

Tag Team

Bathory - Hammerheart
Gjallarhorn - Nordheim

Heavier than a Heavy Thing:
Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power

Darkness:
Lifelover - Erotikl

The perfect soundtrack for a suicidal walk at 2AM.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Mar 10, 2014,
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
This go's albums listed.

TAG TEAM:
Hoodoo Man: Bathory - Hammerheart, Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power (Night Sky over Asa Bay)
Emenius Sleepus: Svartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral, Dodsengel - Imperator
The Wildchild: Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath, Satan - Court in the Act
Kytokinesis: Voivod - Killing Technology, Nocturnus - Thresholds (Futuristic Gods of War)
Keplux: Dødsengel - Imperator, Urfaust - Der freiwillige Bettler (Path To Godhood)
Progbass: Massacra - Final Holocaust, Sodom - Persecution Mania (Warmaster)
rg_metal: Ravi Shankar - Improvisations, Melechesh - The Epigenesis (Persian *****s)
The Virtuoso: Slough Feg-Digital Resistance, Voivod-Killing Technology
Powerslave: Gris - Il Etait Une Foret, Sombres Forets - Quintessence (Trist)
Helloween4Ever: Bathory - Hammerheart, Gjallarhorn - Nordheim (vikings and shit)

Heavy as a Heavy Thing:
Hoodoo Man: Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
Emenius Sleepus: dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
The Wildchild: Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Kytokinesis: Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
Keplux: Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Progbass: Godflesh's Streetcleaner
rg_metal: Catacombs - In the Depths of R'Lyeh
The Virtuoso: Disembowelment-Transcendence into the Peripheral
Powerslave: Warning - Watching From a Distance
Helloween4Ever: Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power

Now It's Dark:
Hoodoo Man: Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Emenius Sleepus: Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Midnight Black Earth.
The Wildchild: Demoncy - Joined In Darkness
Kytokinesis: Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Keplux: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Black Earth
Progbass: Burzum's Filosofem
rg_metal: At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
The Virtuoso: Disembowelment-Transcendence into the Periphera
Powerslave: Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
Helloween4Ever: Lifelover - Erotik
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,618 IQ
Quote by Helloween4Ever
This go's albums listed.

TAG TEAM:
Hoodoo Man: Bathory - Hammerheart, Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power (Night Sky over Asa Bay)

Keplux: Dødsengel - Imperator, Urfaust - Der freiwillige Bettler (Path To Godhood)

Heavy as a Heavy Thing:
Hoodoo Man: Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
Emenius Sleepus: dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
The Wildchild: Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Kytokinesis: Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
Keplux: Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Progbass: Godflesh's Streetcleaner
rg_metal: Catacombs - In the Depths of R'Lyeh
The Virtuoso: Disembowelment-Transcendence into the Peripheral
Powerslave: Warning - Watching From a Distance
Helloween4Ever: Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power

Now It's Dark:
Hoodoo Man: Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Emenius Sleepus: Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Midnight Black Earth.
The Wildchild: Demoncy - Joined In Darkness
Kytokinesis: Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Keplux: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Black Earth
Progbass: Burzum's Filosofem
rg_metal: At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
The Virtuoso: Disembowelment-Transcendence into the Periphera
Powerslave: Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
Helloween4Ever: Lifelover - Erotik

I Have Cast My Vote
The One True Vote
Tremble Before The Jurisdiction

Tag Team

Yes, it has been a while since we have graced the Your Move arena with blood. But this is not by chance. Taking a look at the roster I had to grace my ears with, it's understandable that it took quite some time for me to reach an ultimate verdict. I assure you, my ears did not trifle with these contestants. I toiled over some of these contestants. "Now It's Dark" had me in ruin, but that is for later.

Our Tag Team battle took place in Duncang's greased up, four-cornered ring of pecs and as such, the tag team contestants needed to be a team of iron will and a bond of steel. It was nice when both albums had matching aesthetics (Futuristic Gods of War; Trist;Vikings and Shit) and mechanics (Warmaster; Night Sky Over Asa Bay). But the ultimate test of an audio tag team? Back-to-back listening. I don't know how many of you here actually listen to the stuff you talk so much about, but I usually spin somewhere between 4-6 albums a day if I'm not binging on one particular piece. With that said, a tag team should tag each other in an out of my ear-holes seamlessly,like a split really.

Maybe I should have called this the Custom Split theme....

Persian Whores had me curious. Scents of spices and a whole lotta shades of brown. They came into town with trade and commerce in mind but had closed fist and cloaked daggers. Iron Shiek would be proud. But Vikings and Shit was having none of that. Said they smelled of flowers; Said they had no hair on face. They communicated via the old ways, namely xenophobic violence. The Vikings and Shit came out on top but weakened. They retreated with Trist into a forest, never seen again. Old ways lost and all that romantic stuff. You can't win a wrestling match in a forest. Gotta pull up your briches and get into that oily ring

Seeing all this old stuff gave Futuristic Gods of War the idea that they can come in and sweep up. Iron ain't no thang when you dial your CPU into "KILL" and your weapons are as efficient as millions of years of development will allow. But with so many years of thinking, you start to feel paranoid. That Warmaster brute team in their loin cloths don't have time to think of a plot to betray each other. They just smashed your shiny toy guns while you argued. Savagery can be a uniting force and naked Warmasters fit perfectly in Duncangs oiled up arena.

Which brings us to our main event.

All were exploded on their entrance; The teams to decide the nights victor. Gods among wrestling men they were called. Trumpets brayed on their arrival and the Duncang Megadome groaned as it strained to support such tremendous weight. These teams were tight. Tight like the bonds of an atom. To separate these members from each other guarantees to blow the pants off Hiroshima and then some. They have as much hate for their partner as have private reverence. They are dual Gods.

The first to arrive were nameless. They bore the mark of Los Supremo Befouler. Ancient doesn't do them justice. They were pioneers of this western land of grit, bad and ugly. Wild childs, each one of them. Denim and spurs made their dress. These were the Ric Flair's of Metal. They were met by a team of opposite; Some said Emenius The Sleepless sent them. Denim and spurs were met by a cosmic entity who chose to take the form of a citadel; New gods. The juxtaposition made human eyes bleed and burn. They disappeared into the aether. Earth be dead by the time their conflict is over.

All that was left were wrestling Dieties. A Night Sky Over Asa Bay and Path To Godhood.

Hawk and Animal of Legion of Doom were announcing. Hawk had his money on Night Sky, Animal on Path. They disagreed and began to fight like only the best tag teams could. They communicated to each other via power, much like these tag teams needed to. They knew their counterparts every move and nuance; Again, like these teams needed to. But above all, Hawk and Animal have a passion that creates magic between the two. That's what I was looking for in Duncangs Megadome, A Magic & The Passion.

We struggled to watch such a conflict. Most had left the arena via death. They should have left the hall years ago but instead posed into their deaths. Spectators were few, but their grim gazes belied the ecstasy they experienced in witnessing such a collision of forces. They will remember this far after death.

You see, Path To Godhood was not only a tag-team but a trial for the senses. To approach that tag team and beckon battle with them, that in itself was a sign of strength. You can tell me "Oh I can hear those back to back, what ever." But did you HEAR them or did you LISTEN? Because if you had only LISTENED you would find yourself drained with eyes wide shut. You'd see people in their clothes and you'd find them naked in their pathetic desperation. You'd find yourself unnaturally attracted to fire. Candles would begin to litter your household that slowly transforms into a ritual of recreation. Your eyes would start to form golden specks in the iris. Old friends would say you've changed. But you have little time nor care in the world for them. You saw something. You cannot go back. I'o PAN; Sein Und Zeit.

Which brings me to our victor.
Night Sky Over Asa Bay.

Remember when I said this was an incredible league to witness? I spoke the truth. Or how I said this decision was one I loathed to make? I spoke the truth. Every contestant in this bracket had one shot or the other.

But when the Aether Talon HoodooMan first displayed his champions, something inside me stirred.

These were MY champions
This was MY team

Before the Duncang Megadome was ever constructed; Before the Sanguine Fish diety arrived to cleanse UG in 2007.....

Yes. This was my team. A Night Sky Over Asa Bay was a vision I had been all too familiar with. I can bring its image to the forefront of my mind without any struggle of thought. I can relay it's canvas as an oral tradition to any wise enough to listen. I can summon a gut wrenching emotion with its memory.

Asa Bay was where I learned about my pounding hammer heart. From father to son that knowledge was passed to me and it was forged in fire and ice. Asa bay was a land where the last nobilities of the greater human race were strained from existence. I was there for the last Night Sky to grace Asa bay. The darkest night; the sea was alive with tempestous omens. They knew.... Yes, they knew....

A Team like this can only be formed by the greatest strife. Unity such as this can only be found at the end of tragedy. This bond comes once in a thousand lifetimes.

My heart aches for you Asa, and you have changed the Night Sky forever.

This themes winner is the Aether Talon; HoodooMan of Asa

There will come a golden dawn
At ends of nights for all yee on whom
Upon the northstar always shines
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,