Hey guys I have about a 2006 Les Paul Special in need of a repaint and I have a few question. First what type of wood is this? It is kind of a red color and I was wondering if it would look good stripped and stained? Also if it wouldn't look good stained what type of paint is the original finish?
Yes it is Mahogany. it is painted with Nitro based paint. You can find it here in rattle cans www.reranch.com
www.stewmac.com
www.byoguitar.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been looking at pictures of the Mahogany I'm not sure I like it so I think I'll paint it. Also I thought they only used nitro paints on the older instruments?
On second thought bleached mahogany looks great stained, compared to that red color you get without bleaching.
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
I've been looking at pictures of the Mahogany I'm not sure I like it so I think I'll paint it. Also I thought they only used nitro paints on the older instruments?

Gibson still uses Nitro paint on just about every guitar they make, that is part of the reason they cost so much. A nitro-lacquer finish takes days to cure when a Poly based finish takes a few hours
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate