cschneider154
133 IQ
i own a BC Rich Bich NJ from 1984 and im about to upgrade the pickups. I plan on getting blackouts so i need an amp that will handle it good. I currently was planning on using a VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT 30 WATT GUITAR AMPLIFIER but was told that i should upgrade that. I posted on here earlier and decided to upgrade my price range. The amps i was offered were a peavey vypr tube 60 and a blackstar id core 40. I like the blackstar a lot more. I would like to know what would be an upgrade from the id core 40 but still $600 or under? The core40 is $200
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,606 IQ
you will get more hits if you ask a more specific.

not to rag on you, but i have probably seen a dozen of threads with a similar title, and i usually don't post. however,

honestly i haven't played that blackstar, so i can't throw any wait there.

i have played a vypyr60 tube, and it was relatively simple to use and it sounded quite good for a modeling amp. i have played quite of different amps but as far as modeling is lackluseter. IMO its hard to beat vypyr

also vypyr tubes can be found easily used fir $300
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 11, 2014,
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Well; for metal, the Peavey 6505 series tends to rule the roost, and the 1x12" combo sells for right around US$600.00 new, so I would look at that.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,606 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; for metal, the Peavey 6505 series tends to rule the roost, and the 1x12" combo sells for right around US$600.00 new, so I would look at that.

+3.1415, but what kind of tone are you looking for? give us a few examples. metal can be from cannibal corpse, to lamb of god or black metal like emperor.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
DeathByDestroyr
WORD UP!
953 IQ
Yeah to a lot of people metal means like Ozzy or something. I'm thinking this guy wants to sound like Dying Fetus and needs a VH-140
"If you're looking for me,
You better check under the sea,
Because that's where you'll find me!"
cschneider154
133 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415, but what kind of tone are you looking for? give us a few examples. metal can be from cannibal corpse, to lamb of god or black metal like emperor.

Well a buddy of mine from MI in LA just moved back to town and i told him i wanted to play metal with him and he told me he wanted to play songs from the band War from a harlots mouth. So i guess thats the general metal im looking to play. I also like to play korn, pantera, system of a down, slipknot, drowning pool also more heavier stuff like Napalm Death.
cschneider154
133 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41

i heard the ID is 2x12
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by cschneider154
Well a buddy of mine from MI in LA just moved back to town and i told him i wanted to play metal with him and he told me he wanted to play songs from the band War from a harlots mouth. So i guess thats the general metal im looking to play. I also like to play korn, pantera, system of a down, slipknot, drowning pool also more heavier stuff like Napalm Death.

A 6505+ 112 and a good EQ like the MXR 10 Band would be an excellent way to go.

The Vypyr Tube 60 would also do that no problem if you want to go a simpler/cheaper route.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Quote by cschneider154
i heard the ID is 2x12

It may be, but it is a solid-state, entry-level amplifier. For what you want to play, you are probably not going to be happy with anything less than a high-gain tube amplifier.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
KailM
5,120 IQ
I'd look for a used 6505+ 112 and get an MXR 10-band eq and a Tubescreamer. You can find them all day in the U.S. for around $450 used. New, they are $600, if you'd rather go that route. But they really shine with those two pedals. For the price, I don't think there's an amp out there that can match a 6505's all-out aggressiveness for metal tone. They certainly shit on all the Blackstars I've played -- however, I haven't played their high-end stuff (anything beyond the HT series).

You did not mention cleans, but I should mention that 6505s need a little coaxing to get good cleans. But it can be done. Technically, they are like a 3-channel amp. The 'rhythm' channel is clean without the crunch boost engaged. But it only stays clean with the gain turned down quite a bit -- which makes it difficult to get a good hard rock sound unless you turn the gain up a bit (it's difficult to set the rhythm channel for both clean and crunch on the fly -- you kind of have to choose one or the other, or be willing to turn up the gain for more crunch). The lead channel is for all-out brutality. I just set mine for good cleans and use my lead channel for anything requiring distortion.
metalmingee
223 IQ
5150 combo 212 off of craigslist is a good place to start. I got mine for $400 in very good condition. Highly recommend the MXR 10 band (eBay) and a tube screamer (there are tons of which tubescreamer threads).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
cschneider154
133 IQ
Quote by metalmingee
5150 combo 212 off of craigslist is a good place to start. I got mine for $400 in very good condition. Highly recommend the MXR 10 band (eBay) and a tube screamer (there are tons of which tubescreamer threads).

you still selling the Randall RG100SC?
metalmingee
223 IQ
Quote by cschneider154
you still selling the Randall RG100SC?

Yep. Send me a Private Message!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Katsock
1,481 IQ
JCA100 can get pretty mean, especially with a boost. But the 6505 just has that tone a lot of people are after.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify