LiveforOctober
21 IQ
Hey everyone.

I've been playing guitar now for nearly 12 years, almost exclusively acoustic. I play quite a bit, gig often (about 100 shows a year?) and whatnot... but my fingertips won't callous.

I can normally go right around 3 hours of straight playing before they get bruised enough or sore enough that it is hard to continue, if I gig the following day it seems to be about 2-2.5 hours before they get painful. Booking myself for multiple gigs in a day is extremely difficult to do because of this.. although I wish I was able because I am asked often enough.

Anything anyone can offer to help? I'm currently looking for small/thin gloves I could wear on my left hand, although the few I have tried really take away the feel on the strings obviously. Is it possible some people's hands just can't callous and I just have to deal with it?

Anyone have similar problems or have any suggestions to "force" them to callous?

Thanks in advance.
thatfenderguy
22 IQ
I have the same issues. What i've taken to doing is applying a small dab of women's acrylic fingernail glue to the tips of my fingers. It only takes seconds to dry and i'm good to go for hours.
chronic_stp
876 IQ
My fingertips don't callous either. If I play for over 3 hours in a day on a steel string acoustic, a callous builds up for the rest of the day, but its gone by the time I wake up the next day.
maowcat
UG Newbie
1,353 IQ
Don't use gloves or anything of that sort it'll just make it harder to play without them.

- Heavier gauge strings, use them for a month then switch back to your normal strings, i guarantee you'll notice calluses.

- Rub your fingers on any surface, abrasive or semi-abrasive, 2-3 times a day (for 5-10 minutes) for at least a week, your fingers will hurt like hell but if you don't have calluses from that then your hopeless. And no i haven't tried it, but that's exactly how calluses form, friction.

- For when your performing, try putting a big pinch of baby powder in your hand and replenish it when you take a break during sets. It'll make it easier on your hands and fingers, plus your neck will be as slippery as a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

- Create finger snuggies?
Last edited by maowcat at Jun 8, 2014,