So far the only bass I've seen like this is the new Ibanez SRF700. Is there anything else out there like this? I really dislike the aesthetic of the super long fretboard on the SRF, and I'd like something with a side jack instead of the recessed top jack. Must have 24 frets. 4 strings.

Budget: Would love to get something about $600ish, used if possible. I might consider up to $800 used for something really great (Japanese, American, German, etc.).

Here's a pic of the SRF just to clarify exactly what I want. The dots can be there or not, but having the lines is what I really want.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 17, 2014,
At that budget, you might have a narrow selection. Side lines - as opposed to fretboard lines - are not very common. Ibanez uses them, but I do not know of many other production fretless basses that do.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
I know, just from googling I'm not getting anything really. I was hoping some peeps here would be more knowledgeable than me about what's out there/what I can look for on eBay or GC Used.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I believe that Carvin offers fret sidelines on their fretless basses, but probably not within your price range.

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
Maybe I will call and ask about it. Carvin is definitely an option I'd consider. But their choices are so limited. I remember calling to see if I could get a J/MM configuration on an Icon bass, and they said no. Some custom shop. Ha. I also want a reverse in line headstock, and apparently I can't do that either. They don't offer side lines only on their online form, so I doubt they offer it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just get a used Warwick Corvette, side dots only, but the dots are where the fret lines would be.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
If you are going to get a Warwick fretless, go for the Jack Bruce Signature bass. Hell; even the Chinese-made version is beyond sweet!

Lord, how I want a fretted model of this bass!!!

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Spaz91
You *might* get a used Stingray FL around that price. I got mine for 900 USD and it has side dots (not lines)
Quote by consecutive e
Just get a used Warwick Corvette, side dots only, but the dots are where the fret lines would be.

Oh yeah? That might work.

I'm not a fan of the Corvette, but various Streamers have been very high up on my want list, coincidentally. Might be my best option, unless Ibanez releases something like the SRF but with 24 frets next year.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Why would any builder do this? I can't imagine what was going through the head of the genius who though this up.
Jeeeez!
^ Huh? What's wrong with it?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by anarkee
You *might* get a used Stingray FL around that price. I got mine for 900 USD and it has side dots (not lines)

Surely that's as rare as the fabled $300 Vampyre.

If you're up to the job, defret a bass yourself. It's actually quite easy if you have a dust free environment to work in. You can stain the fretboard and filler with ebony stain to make it look like it doesn't have fretlines:

Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Why would any builder do this? I can't imagine what was going through the head of the genius who though this up.
Jeeeez!

That entire bass is a work of art, what are you talking about?
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Jeeeez!

Actually, that is a pretty nice bass.

Now what was the genius who thought up this monstrosity thinking???!!!

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Spaz91
Imagine the sheer quantity of drugs and/or brain damage that is required to make one think that Music Vox designs are in any way appealing!

The...horror!!! The......horror!!!

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Spaz91
You might check out Carvin. They'd do this bass for you, but it would probably be an Option 50 (loosely defined as "don't figure you can whistle this thing back at us when you realize what a bad idea it was"). Probably over your budget, though.