TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
I was browsing Craigslist today and came across this Squier standard Strat. I had been meaning to pick up a cheaper guitar to bring with me to the local open jam night at the bar...I get nervous bringing any of my nice guitars along. Met the person selling it, decided it seemed pretty OK, walked out with it for $50. Can't beat that! There are a lot of surface scratches but no deep gouges, dings, or chipped paint. The only thing that's really wrong with it (as far as I can tell so far) is that the selector switch needs to be cleaned or replaced. No biggie. I tweaked the setup when I bought it home, plugged it in, and I gotta say I really like this thing! I mean, $50 is a steal, but this little guitar holds its own pretty well. It has the small headstock, made in Korea, and looking up the serial number shows it was made in 1992.

Gonna fix the switch, re string it, and play it for a while before I decide on any potential upgrades. I've got this weird urge to put some p90's in it though... Time will tell.
TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
Thanks! I love finding usable gear for cheap. And I've never owned an actual strat (some will argue a squier isn't really a stratocaster but whatever), let alone a guitar with single coils or a maple fretboard, so this is pretty fun. I've been looking at GFS and it seems like another $50 would go a long way. Probably some new tuners first. I'm intrigued by the GFS pickups, they're so cheap but get pretty good reviews. I actually think the stock ones sound decent, but I don't think I have an ear for single coils yet like I do with humbuckers if that makes any sense
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
sweet hard to go wrong for $50
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
It has the small headstock, made in Korea, and looking up the serial number shows it was made in 1992.

Gonna fix the switch, re string it, and play it for a while before I decide on any potential upgrades. I've got this weird urge to put some p90's in it though... Time will tell.

Nice score!

Do you mean 3xP90? Or P90/S/S? Or what?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Smigzy
Banned
395 IQ
Nice pick up. Can't believe you got it for $50

. I have a newer squire standard strat(2010-2011 with the larger 70s headstock). I love this guitar and still continue to play it even though I own a MIA strat and a PRS SE. It is not the end all be all of guitars but really it IS a great guitar is you don't have $1g plus to spend.

Squire gets a lot of hate. Mainly due to their bullet one and starter pack strats. But the standard series, classic vibes, and vintage modifieds are better then anything that has came out of Mexico since the late 90s early 2000s
TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nice score!

Do you mean 3xP90? Or P90/S/S? Or what?

You know, I haven't exactly figured that out yet! I've been watching videos of p90 strats, trying to decide for sure if it's what I want to do. I was thinking 2xp90's but p90/s/s is an interesting thought. When I had the pickguard off I found it's routed H-S-H so 3x 90's wouldn't be an option unless I route out the cavity.

I fixed the switch today. All I had to do was scrape the corrosion from the contacts, works like a charm now. The inside of the cavity was all painted so I can't tell what kind of wood the body is. Plywood maybe? Hopefully not. It seems to resonate pretty well, doesn't sound dead or anything.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Hmm...if it's routed HSH, you might not be able to fit se standard P90s in at all.

However, there are such things as HB-sized P90s, and there are even a few singlecoil-sized P90s out there. Of course, they don't sound EXACTLY like P90s, but some of the higher-end ones sound more like P90s than cheap P90s do.*

So you don't have to do any woodwork if you don't want to.

* of course! almost any pickup you buy will cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but so what?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 2, 2014,
TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmm...if it's routed HSH, you might not be able to fit se standard P90s in at all.

However, there are such things as HB-sized P90s, and there are even a few singlecoil-sized P90s out there. Of course, they don't sound EXACTLY like P90s, but some of the higher-end ones sound more like P90s than cheap P90s do.*

So you don't have to do any woodwork if you don't want to.

* of course! almost any pickup you buy will cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but so what?

Yeah, exactly right about the cost of it. On one hand, only paying $50 for the guitar leaves room in my budget for other stuff. On the other hand, I don't think I can bring myself to putting more parts into this guitar than it's actually worth. This thing is probably worth what, $100 TOPS? Maybe I'll set a limit - I'll only let myself put another $50 into it.

I don't mind going after the pickup cavity with my router if I have to. How much longer than a humbucker is a P90 anyway, I wonder. Probably wouldn't take much to make it fit.

Maybe a P90 in the bridge and a telecaster neck pickup!
EyeballPaul
566 IQ
Nice price!HNGD!!
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
romeozdistress
2,680 IQ
HNGD. I just ordered one of these myself. but mine was $152 shipped, appears to be in good condition GC rated it in Great condition. pretty excited. Just got it to tide me over until tax time. Wanted something to explore other genres of music outside of metal. but congrats bro.
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
peskypesky
133 IQ
You got a SWEET deal. A Korean-made Standard for $50?? That's a deal I'd take any day of the year. I've been playing one of my modded Squier Bullets all evening and having a blast.
romeozdistress
2,680 IQ
Quote by peskypesky
You got a SWEET deal. A Korean-made Standard for $50?? That's a deal I'd take any day of the year. I've been playing one of my modded Squier Bullets all evening and having a blast.

having a bullet for a bit discpuraged me with squier but i decided to give it another shot.
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
peskypesky
133 IQ
Quote by romeozdistress
having a bullet for a bit discpuraged me with squier but i decided to give it another shot.

I've got three Bullets. I give them good setups and mod some parts, and they get a lot of play. My Classic Vibe sits in the closet most of the time because I like my Bullets so much.
romeozdistress
2,680 IQ
ohh okay yeah. i couldnt get it to stay in tune. just wasnt a fan. got rid of it. i needed another guitar. i plan opn throwing a dragonfire crusade pickguard in it. should be cool. long live squier!
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,724 IQ
HNGD!

People underestimate Squier guitars, IMHO. They're usually pretty good, and their quality control is pretty consistent (with the exception of the Bullets, which are hit-and-miss).

Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
Thanks! I love finding usable gear for cheap. And I've never owned an actual strat (some will argue a squier isn't really a stratocaster but whatever), let alone a guitar with single coils or a maple fretboard, so this is pretty fun. I've been looking at GFS and it seems like another $50 would go a long way. Probably some new tuners first. I'm intrigued by the GFS pickups, they're so cheap but get pretty good reviews. I actually think the stock ones sound decent, but I don't think I have an ear for single coils yet like I do with humbuckers if that makes any sense

Coincidentally, I just bought a Kramer copy from the '90s for 40€, and it's my first guitar with a maple fretboard.

It needs some work and some new hardware (one tuner is broken and a knob is missing), and I'm considering GFS too.
New tuners, nut, bridge pickup, electronic, knobs, and maybe even a new bridge since they're so affordable.

If you decide on going with GFS, I'd love to hear your feedback on their hardware.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Carrot
UG's only carrot
3,861 IQ
I bought a pool routed squire strat body and Mim fender neck for £50 total. The parts without pickups have already cost me £80, pickups are another £60.

Great sounding guitar but like you i was hesitant as putting so much money into to.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
Quote by peskypesky

Thanks! Sounds like the consensus is there's some good potential here.

Quote by Carrot
I bought a pool routed squire strat body and Mim fender neck for £50 total. The parts without pickups have already cost me £80, pickups are another £60.

Great sounding guitar but like you i was hesitant as putting so much money into to.

What pickups are you using? I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has tried the GFS single coils.
TheJawsOfDeath
346 IQ
Quote by peskypesky
I've got three Bullets. I give them good setups and mod some parts, and they get a lot of play. My Classic Vibe sits in the closet most of the time because I like my Bullets so much.

What sort of mods have you done?
Carrot
UG's only carrot
3,861 IQ
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath

What pickups are you using? I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has tried the GFS single coils.

Im using some Iron Gear pickups. Set of Steamhammers. Really great company too!

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,724 IQ
Quote by Carrot
Im using some Iron Gear pickups. Set of Steamhammers. Really great company too!

Just checked that company out, it may be a good option for my project -- I just need a high output passive bridge humbucker for deathcore and metalcore.

I'm interested in the Hammer Head and the Steam Hammer.
Judging from the soundclips on the site, the Hammer Head seems to be more what I'm looking for... But on the Steam Hammer soundclips they recorded rock riffing and not metal, so it's hard to compare.

What do you think? Have you tried both? Can the Steam Hammer do death/metalcore easily?

Sorry for the off-topic, TS.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Carrot
UG's only carrot
3,861 IQ
Quote by Linkerman
Just checked that company out, it may be a good option for my project -- I just need a high output passive bridge humbucker for deathcore and metalcore.

Judging from the soundclips on the site, the Hammer Head seems to be more what I'm looking for... But on the Steam Hammer soundclips they recorded rock riffing and not metal, so it's hard to compare.

What do you think? Have you tried both? Can the Steam Hammer do death/metalcore easily?

The Steam Hammers are sitting in the scratch plate not connected up yet.. Havent got round to it so i cant say. Nor have i played the HammerHeads. Only used the Rolling mills overwound set in my PRS and thats great for Alterbridge/FFAF style of playing.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
(Linkerman) I haven't tried them but I've been hearing really good things about entwistle pickups.

If there are any tanglewood dealers near you they come stock in them so you could try some of their models...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,724 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
(Linkerman) I haven't tried them but I've been hearing really good things about entwistle pickups.

Thank you for the tip!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
no problem. as i said, I haven't tried them.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

romeozdistress
2,680 IQ
Quote by Linkerman

same here. have you considered dragonfire crusader? supposed to be an invader copy.
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Ampeg 108B
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark
6,724 IQ
Quote by romeozdistress
same here. have you considered dragonfire crusader? supposed to be an invader copy.

No, I didn't know about them. But now that I found Axetec, which is UK-based and has all the hardware I'll need at affordable prices, I think I'll put USA-based companies aside -- it's not worth the risk of having to pay customs taxes to import stuff from the USA when there's an European company with similar prices.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112